• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 5a4 vs 6a4a

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Schilke 5a4 vs 6a4a Reply with quote

What are the major differences between these two mouthpieces? I'm referring to the vintage designs, as opposed to the modern ones. I know that obviously the ID is smaller and the backbore is bigger, but other than that, how do they compare? The reason is because I need a replacement for the original Jet Tone BC that was on loan to me until recently and I have the opportunity to get a vintage 5a4 on the cheap. I know that ideally a vintage 6a4a would be a good choice, but unless any of you people have one on hand you are willing to sell I can't find any.
How much smaller does the 5a4 feel though? How does the resistance compare? How about comparison of the sheer power output?
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
RonWilson

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the 6a4a FWIW
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 5a4 vs 6a4a Reply with quote

I've played the old Jettone BC and it's nothing like the 6a4a. I'm playing a Steve Patrick BS5, which is patterned off the Jettone 5B, which is supposedly the same basic mouthpiece as the Jettone BC. I suggest reaching out to Steve for advice. He is very familiar with the old Jettone line and will likely be able to get you what you need.

Edit: Found this link for the mouthpiece you're looking for on Steve's site:

http://patrickmouthpieces.com/mouthpiece-models/#!/The-PBC-Piccolo/p/11796561/category=2605565
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: