• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Improving Accuracy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Improving Accuracy Reply with quote

There's a local guy in town who plays lead with a community band and a lot of people refer to him as "Sir Clams-a-lot." He can't play a single phrase without clamming at least once.

Rather than engage in that kind of derogatory activity I tend to look in the mirror and assess my own playing in comparison. While I don't clam anywhere near as much as Sir Clams-a-lot, I'm not perfect.

I know that studio players have to be deadly accurate for obvious reasons and I am wanting to know what can be practiced to improve accuracy. I've always tended to do a lot of slurs and flexibilities to build range. I've avoided staccato playing particularly in the lower register because I recall a teacher once telling me that this can compromise range.

So I'd like to know what I can practice to be as accurate as these studio players without compromising other aspects of playing.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sing out loud and in your head while you play. When the mental signal is strong enough, the body does a much better job of following. All music is played by ear. The instrument is an illusion.

Link

Edited to add: I've done the exercise he does at the end with students on all sorts of music and it's magical. Young college players suddenly sound like professionals for a few bars.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect and appreciation for the reply:

As trumpet players, having only 3 valves (and we really only use two of them 99% of the time) we HAVE to hear in our heads what we want to play before we play it, otherwise, we'd play the wrong notes constantly. We don't have a button for every note as does the piano.

Furthermore, I don't think the reason for clamming is that we hear ourselves clamming in our heads before we play. I think we all hear ourselves playing it perfectly, but too often the "machine" (our embouchure) doesn't cooperate.

I think this is more of a physical issue than a cerebral issue, so I was hoping for a response that was more physical in nature.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure plenty will give you a "physical answer" but I agree with the first response: most clams happen because we do not "hear" the sound in our mind and thus are not mentally and physically prepared to play the right note and sound. It is easy to lose focus, if I ever had it, and not really have the song in mind as I play. If I am not hearing the note as I see it on the page I am much more likely to miss it. Playing on "autopilot" or thinking about other things (maybe the note I just missed, or the next solo a few bars away) is losing focus in the moment and clams happen.

YMMV - Don
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find improvement in accuracy by practicing lyrical etudes softly, as well as Arbans staccato and octave exercises, also played softly and evenly. Focusing on getting notes to speak with less tension and effort helps accuracy, as well as endurance and overall musicianship. Practicing with breath attacks also helps...
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA

Last edited by Bill Ortiz on Sun May 20, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flexibility studies are great but must be balanced with other types of exercises. A well-rounded routine is the best way to develop accuracy. If there are exercises you hate, you need to do more of them.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both aspects of playing are important. Definitely get your ears and inner ear in shape and hear what it is your trying to play. But certain types of exercises can also help:

- scale studies
- 'broken' scale studies
- intervallic studies
- practice things backwards
- arpeggiation studies
- sight reading
bear30101

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arban's, pgs 125-131.
Play the notes only as fast as you can play them perfectly.
Be patient.
Vary the dynamics and articulations.
Use also the additional models at the page bottom.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
With all due respect and appreciation for the reply:

As trumpet players, having only 3 valves (and we really only use two of them 99% of the time) we HAVE to hear in our heads what we want to play before we play it, otherwise, we'd play the wrong notes constantly. We don't have a button for every note as does the piano.

Furthermore, I don't think the reason for clamming is that we hear ourselves clamming in our heads before we play. I think we all hear ourselves playing it perfectly, but too often the "machine" (our embouchure) doesn't cooperate.

I think this is more of a physical issue than a cerebral issue, so I was hoping for a response that was more physical in nature.

I can't climb inside your head, but I can only speak to what I observe in players I run across and teach and for myself that the bolded isn't true (ever?). There's hearing and there's HEARING. Listen to the Dizzy quote that Hal Galper gives. Listen to the great players who talk about singing in their heads while they play. I think we underestimate how intense this actually is in great players. It's never vivid and loud enough.

If you can sing everything you try to play accurately and in tune and the trumpet in your head is maddeningly loud and vivid, I suspect most (but not all) physical problems will fade.

Record yourself honestly trying the exercise he gives. Take a simple (or difficult phrase) and work back and forth between singing, internal SINGING (it's never loud enough), and playing. Listen back to how the sound and accuracy changes. It was immediately transformative for me and it has been for every student I've introduced it to. When I say transformative, I mean for a short period (until their focus fades) they sound like Phil Smith - sound and control that makes you jump out of your seat. The more we do it, the stronger our focus becomes.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a physical solution, but writing this stuff off is shortchanging yourself.
OldKing

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other causes of inaccuracy that I experience:

1. Timing - if my time is unstable or I'm playing with people with bad time, my batting average goes down. Caruso does a great job of addressing the issue of timing and coordination. Otherwise, wearing out my metronome can help my accuracy.

2. A hitch in my breathing - if I'm stressed about a note, I can introduce a little pause between inhale and exhale that can destabilize things. Breath attacks and focus on timing tends to help smooth things out.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
I find improvement in accuracy by practicing lyrical etudes softly, as well and Arbans staccato and octave exercises, also played softly and evenly. Focusing on getting notes to speak with less tension and effort helps accuracy, as well as endurance and overall musicianship. Practicing with breath attacks also helps…

There are some great suggestions here on improving accuracy, but the longer I live and play, the more I find the above quoted approach to be extremely helpful and yet morbidly tedious and requiring significant discipline. But if I do this with a challenging passage (practice softly) and practice it slowly, gradually working it up to speed, it gets me lightyears down the road with note accuracy. This is a really good thread with lots of helpful responses.

Mucho sombrero, which translated means…”much hat.”

(What I just wrote makes no sense, but feel welcome to use it at your next gig.)
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank all of you for your responses.
chi2lon

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Other causes of inaccuracy that I experience:

1. Timing - if my time is unstable or I'm playing with people with bad time, my batting average goes down. Caruso does a great job of addressing the issue of timing and coordination. Otherwise, wearing out my metronome can help my accuracy.

2. A hitch in my breathing - if I'm stressed about a note, I can introduce a little pause between inhale and exhale that can destabilize things. Breath attacks and focus on timing tends to help smooth things out.

I think this is a big part (aside from not hearing the line). There is was a great masterclass by Charles Lazarus at ITG a few years ago where he discusses accuracy among other things. He talked about physical coordination/timing being the most important thing in his mind. Most missed notes or messy slurs happen because people start moving too early.
Toshi 16EWS
Bb - Schagerl Hans Gansch
Laskey 75MC
Eb/D - Yamaha 9610
Laskey PIC
Picc - Stomvi Elite
Monette B2 FL R6/FLG2
Cornet - Stomvi Titan
Flugel - Adams F2
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
I am sure plenty will give you a "physical answer" but I agree with the first response: most clams happen because we do not "hear" the sound in our mind and thus are not mentally and physically prepared to play the right note and sound. It is easy to lose focus, if I ever had it, and not really have the song in mind as I play. If I am not hearing the note as I see it on the page I am much more likely to miss it. Playing on "autopilot" or thinking about other things (maybe the note I just missed, or the next solo a few bars away) is losing focus in the moment and clams happen.

YMMV - Don

Thank you, OP, for initiating this useful thread. And Don, your remarks and the other previous posts could not have been better timed for this old trumpeter!

Jim
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear30101 wrote:
Arban's, pgs 125-131.
Play the notes only as fast as you can play them perfectly.
Be patient.
Vary the dynamics and articulations.
Use also the additional models at the page bottom.

I agree with bear30101. Practice these pages slowly and softly,using 1/4 notes at first.Accuracy is a combination of ear(hearing the note) and muscle memory.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the great Bill Ortiz.
Practicing in whisper tones or a little more resonant than these helped me a lot.
Hearing the notes first helps of course, but Gabriel is right, a technical default in embouchure or bad coordination will mess your good efficient ears or mental sound...
best
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a newer copy of the Arban that is similar but varies in pages. Which chapter is 125?
bear30101

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pages 125 thru 131 are called "Studies of the Intervals." This "chapter" precedes "Exercises in Triplets." There are 12 numbered exercises, but each line of an exercise is a study in itself.
OldKing

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irons group #20 would fall in this category, would it not?

'Hate it and I'm usually too lazy to do It, which means it's exactly what I need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: