• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure Changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VivaLaTrumpets

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Embouchure Changes Reply with quote

My instructor recently told me I needed to shift my mouthpiece up on my embouchure. This has been VERY difficult, however progress has been made. If anyone has any good exercises or tips on how I could speed up this process (I do understand that results take time) those would be great! I'm also new to the forum, so if I put this in the wrong place somehow, sorry about that.
bear30101

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll-in, Roll-out exercises from "Balanced Embouchure" may help. Also, see "How to form a Trumpet Embouchure" by Charlie Porter on youtube.
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to change teachers.

Anyone who believes that there's a hard/fast rule as to the elevation of where a mp should be placed is hanging on to an old fallacy. There are many misconceptions in conventional trumpet wisdom that have been held onto for ages. We're in the 21st century now and it's time to come out of the dark ages.

Your teacher would be of much greater service to you if he had you more concerned with sound and less concerned with the location and position of your mouthpiece. Often times, by having you practice certain routines, such as leadpipe or pedal tone exercises can cause a player to place their mouthpiece (without even realizing that they're doing it) in the location that is going to be the most efficient FOR THEM, as this is an individual thing. A good teacher would have you practicing these routines and focusing on sound instead of looking in a mirror.

There are many awesome trumpet players who place the mouthpiece very high on the chops and get great results and just as many who place it low with also great results. Where a player places the mp is often dictated by their teeth and jaw formations. Having a player fight himself in this regard is not a good idea.

I would get with a teacher who is a Bill Adam or a Carmine Caruso disciple as they tend to focus more on what and how you practice rather than where your mouthpiece is located.

Often times these teachers that tell you to move your mouthpiece don't really know what's going on so they pull out something out of the woodwork that they read in a book that might be consistent with their own playing such as the two-thirds on the top - one-third on the bottom thing. But they're only guessing at it and grasping at straws. Just because it may be common to a lot of good players, it doesn't mean it's going to work for everybody. Trust your intuition and what works for you.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
Time to change teachers.

Anyone who believes that there's a hard/fast rule as to the elevation of where a mp should be placed is hanging on to an old fallacy. There are many misconceptions in conventional trumpet wisdom that have been held onto for ages. We're in the 21st century now and it's time to come out of the dark ages..

Maybe - it depends who the teacher is and why they're saying it.

If it were a renowned chopdoc for example, a pops or similar or one of the well regarded Reinhardt teachers... Then probably best to trust them on it.

Having said that you're absolutely correct that there's a lot of dogma out there amongst lesser teachers especially - the 50/50 placement idea being one of them.
However, it's also fair to say that here in the 21st century there are the odd few who understand embouchure building better than the vast majority do... It's worth considering which camp this teacher falls into (though it's more likely the one you describe than the one I am)
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Embouchure Changes Reply with quote

VivaLaTrumpets wrote:
My instructor recently told me I needed to shift my mouthpiece up on my embouchure. This has been VERY difficult, however progress has been made. If anyone has any good exercises or tips on how I could speed up this process (I do understand that results take time) those would be great! I'm also new to the forum, so if I put this in the wrong place somehow, sorry about that.

Why are you asking? Do you not trust your teacher?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: