• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How is a Bach 5C different than a 5C with S on the shank?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: How is a Bach 5C different than a 5C with S on the shank? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I used to play a Bach 5C through High School. Since starting back up I found a 5C with S on the shank in my fathers collection and have been using that as it plays better. I remember trying back in high school but thought it blew to easy or not enough back pressure. Didn't feel I had the lung power to play it.

Now I do have the air to fill it and it plays/sounds better to me.

Wondering what the S represents?

Cheers,
Marc
[/img]
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "S" stands for Symphonic - basically, you've got a bigger backbore #24) than the standard (#10) that an unmarked 5c would have.

As to how different it is.... Noticeably.
If it suits you, noticeably better... If it doesn't, noticeably worse
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it suits me better! Larger, deeper sound and more open for higher notes.

Been playing it for about 2 -3 months now and still happy with it.

Cheers,
Marc
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5C is a great piece, and an "S" or symphonic backbore really can open it up and allow for a much more open feel to the mouthpiece.

A little-reported fact is that Vincent Bach expected people to have to alter his mouthpieces (I think he kind hoped people would "over" alter so he could sell a few more, but that may just be me!). He went so far as to distribute reamers with visits with college professors and suggested that the standard 27/10 configuration was a starting point. I've heard this story enough to believe it, yet have never seen one of the reamers (would love to have one). The alteration of the backbore was also possible. Not sure if Bach gave the measurements and how far the reamer went in for various backbores, but that would have been helpful!

Enjoy a mouthpiece with a large following in the classical world (I know Gerard Schwarz played a 5C, and have heard that Rold Smedvig played a 5B). The best mouthpiece? The one that works for you!

Good luck!

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thanks for the answers. Looking to purchase a backup mouthpiece for traveling- what would be the most equivalent new Bach mouthpiece? Looking at the Bach mouthpiece guide they have both throat and backbore special configurations. What throat would this have and how could I determine that?

Cheers,
Marc
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't say otherwise it should be standard (#27).

No guarantees that the rim with be the same, if yours is an older one though...
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Rolf played a 3B, I believe... He also had a first valve trigger on his Bb.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StartingUpAgainAt53 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for the answers. Looking to purchase a backup mouthpiece for traveling- what would be the most equivalent new Bach mouthpiece? Looking at the Bach mouthpiece guide they have both throat and backbore special configurations. What throat would this have and how could I determine that?

Cheers,
Marc

You'll need Vernier Calipers to measure your mouthpiece's throat size. About $20 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/VINCA-DCLA-0605-Electronic-Fractions-Conversion/dp/B017KUC6XQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8

A #27 throat will have a 0.144" diameter.
A #26 throat will have a 0.147" diameter.
A #25 throat will have a 0.1495" diameter.
A #24 throat will have a 0.152" diameter.
A #23 throat will have a 0.154" diameter.
A #22 throat will have a 0.157" diameter.

I doubt the throat will be bigger than a #22 but here's a chart with all the possible sizes:

I'm sure if you order a Bach 5C with the #24 Symphonic backbore and the appropriate sized throat it'll be close enough to your present mouthpiece to make for a good backup piece.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Does the 5C "S" or symphonic version have a different throat (#25 I believe I saw somewhere on this site)? Just confirming as considering ordering mouthpiece with similar throat and back-bore.

Thanks!
Marc
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Symphonic Series version of the 5C mouthpiece. The Bach Symphonic Series just encompasses the 1C, 1-1/4C and 1-1/2-C, each of which come with the #24 "Symphonic" Backbore and a choice of any throat size from 26 to 22. See:

https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/instruments/accessories/bach-mouthpieces/bach-symphonic-series-mouthpiece

You can order a Bach 5C mouthpiece with any backbore you want and with any throat you want, but it will not be something that is already in stock (unless you get real lucky).

Cheers,

John
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I did find that site and found they no longer sell a 5C "S" but I actually have a Vincent Bach Corp 5C "S" from back in the '70's. Thinking about ordering a similar mouthpiece from another MFG besides Bach.

Cheers,
Marc

John Mohan wrote:
There is no Symphonic Series version of the 5C mouthpiece. The Bach Symphonic Series just encompasses the 1C, 1-1/4C and 1-1/2-C, each of which come with the #24 "Symphonic" Backbore and a choice of any throat size from 26 to 22. See:

https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/instruments/accessories/bach-mouthpieces/bach-symphonic-series-mouthpiece

You can order a Bach 5C mouthpiece with any backbore you want and with any throat you want, but it will not be something that is already in stock (unless you get real lucky).

Cheers,

John
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StartingUpAgainAt53 wrote:
Thanks John. I did find that site and found they no longer sell a 5C "S" but I actually have a Vincent Bach Corp 5C "S" from back in the '70's. Thinking about ordering a similar mouthpiece from another MFG besides Bach.

Cheers,
Marc

There have been a great many posts that say Curry makes Bach numbered pieces that are as good or better. Mark specifically told me in a post that his 5 rim is intended for those that favor the Bach 5 shape. Don't know if he offers an equivalent to the Bach "S" backbore.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the #24 Bach (Kanstul) back bore is my favorite.

If you want a 5C with a symphonic back bore, you could buy a 5-O from Flip Oakes. They are almost identical. The "O" back bore is a little darker, but with a sparkling fringe to the sound.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: