• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

further thoughts on bai lin flexibilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: further thoughts on bai lin flexibilities Reply with quote

bai lin is my entire daily practice. i am sold out to this seeking endurance and range which it is good for. it isn't fast but it's not that slow either and it works. the lack of endurance and range is very upsetting as you are not a real player until you get some. staying with this book for a while now i feel good about my playing... a genuine student of the instrument.
this basic aspect of trumpet, the strength and accuracy of blowing it, is number one mission. down the road i can work on tonguing and my inaccurate sense of time and whatever else needs polished.
our own pops gave me embouchure correction which straightened things out and allowed progress to occur. as with using the bai lin book, i don't think that i am the only one who used a counter productive lip set. a lot of people have these problems that go unaddressed and give up the instrument out of supreme frustration despite their love of the trumpet.
master lin goes up to E over high C in this study and it made me thoughtful. my previous goal was to play the G, and wonder if americans are addled with range and that having an E would do as well, not planning to use more than the C in normal playing.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a time I tried to rely on practicing only flexibilities which seemed to work for a while. Eventually things started falling apart and I found I needed a more balanced approach.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles

certainly all else is going to go to crap. i am selling out with this approach for strength and range.
i don't know what state of repair you were in when you tried this. all i can say is not having endurance is absolutely humiliating.
being happy in life is predicated on feeling good about yourself. this business is what it takes for me. i am stepping from misery to reputability. it's a factor of strength, and it's a factor of knack, and that's blowing the trumpet in a nutshell.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of suspect, putting it gently, that to focus on one only one or two aspects of playing and ignoring the rest is an exercise in futility which will lead to only more frustration in the long run. To admit this will happen to one's playing while following this course of action is... I can't describe how foolish it sounds. Seriously.

Having ignored aspects of playing for years (or even decades) I know first hand it is far better to have a balanced point of view WRT one's playing.

Flexibility is a vital skill in brass playing. Range is needed, and as we play a far more range limited instrument than most, we need to put more emphasis on it than say, a pianist or bassist. But so too is tone quality, articulation, valve technique, multiple tonguing, dynamic range... and whatever else hasn't come straight to mind.

Endurance particularly is not just a simple case of mere strength in order to develop it. Efficiency is key. So too is brain training. I strongly suggest the OP go online and try to find a TV docco series called 'redesign my brain'. There are two seasons and much of what is explored is directly applicable to playing a musical instrument. (I actually felt rather chuffed that a lot of my work with kids encompasses the host's experiences in brain training).

I may be wrong, but have this feeling...

cheers

Andy
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing for sure that lips slurs do, they will focus your embouchure into its more efficient place, and you ignore that to your peril.

Clearly too much of anything can wear a person out.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
I sort of suspect, putting it gently, that to focus on one only one or two aspects of playing and ignoring the rest is an exercise in futility which will lead to only more frustration in the long run. To admit this will happen to one's playing while following this course of action is... I can't describe how foolish it sounds. Seriously.

Having ignored aspects of playing for years (or even decades) I know first hand it is far better to have a balanced point of view WRT one's playing.

Flexibility is a vital skill in brass playing. Range is needed, and as we play a far more range limited instrument than most, we need to put more emphasis on it than say, a pianist or bassist. But so too is tone quality, articulation, valve technique, multiple tonguing, dynamic range... and whatever else hasn't come straight to mind.

Endurance particularly is not just a simple case of mere strength in order to develop it. Efficiency is key. So too is brain training. I strongly suggest the OP go online and try to find a TV docco series called 'redesign my brain'. There are two seasons and much of what is explored is directly applicable to playing a musical instrument. (I actually felt rather chuffed that a lot of my work with kids encompasses the host's experiences in brain training).

cheers

Andy

+1

That is what my instructor tells me. He assigns exercises that cover the entire range of techniques. Endurance is predicated not just on physical strength, but upon technique as well, the ability to do a bunch of things correctly. Learning to do things efficiently is a big part of overall endurance. Not only that, but your ability do some things (play in the upper register) is predicated on the ability to do a bunch of other things correctly.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

cheers

Andy

while my playing is strengthening and benefiting from bai lin it seems best to continue the work.
i have no commercial or other demands that require keeping up a more balanced regimen of practice.
should there really and actually be a great flaw and imbalance in this approach it should manifest as lack of progress, and then backsliding and losing range.
julius caesar in 'the conquest of gaul' mentions that romans are not given to needless apprehensions. that is the category i would put suicide through slur work in.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all my years of lessons, my daily routine covered all aspects of playing. But at the end was always a pile of Earl Irons flexibilities. My teacher made clear that this is where a lot of the heavy lifting/building took place. No argument there.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
while my playing is strengthening and benefiting from bai lin it seems best to continue the work.
i have no commercial or other demands that require keeping up a more balanced regimen of practice.
should there really and actually be a great flaw and imbalance in this approach it should manifest as lack of progress, and then backsliding and losing range.
julius caesar in 'the conquest of gaul' mentions that romans are not given to needless apprehensions. that is the category i would put suicide through slur work in.

Ah. As a teacher, I STRONGLY protest your use of the word suicide in this context. It is not what I am conveying at all. It is trumpet playing, not a life necessity.

Just because you cannot see the flaws in your playing, and assume that you would longer be able to play your flexibility exercises if this were happening is not very logical. It does not mean are not developing. After all, we fool ourselves all the time!

It's like tour chops. You go on a tour and can play the backside out of the book, concert program, etc. You have no real time to work, so you focus on the tour music only. You play like a champ. Get home, and find that most other stuff has gone by the wayside...

I just wonder how your multiple tonguing, intonation in minor keys, staccato articulations are going? Sure you cover lots, but you don't cover, in my mind, enough by just doing flexibilities. I hope you can see my point.

cheers

Andy
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy

i am assuming that everything else slides and doesn't get better while i chase the goal of strength and endurance. it doesn't bother me. another half year of embouchure development and i can work on the many other areas that need it.
i am the customer and need to please only myself. this is a personal thing as well as a musical one. i admire and chase strength. the instrument itself makes you chase range to play it at all. it isn't like a clarinet. which is cool. i love difficult and lengthy pursuits. best thing you can do, put the time in to become a trumpet player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: