• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Really Old Player Concerns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bronxkid31415

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Really Old Player Concerns Reply with quote

Help
I am an amateur communityBand section player rapidly approaching 80 and no longer play beyond G5 due to diminishing lung capacity and serious dental issues.
I do play with very little pressure and do long tones daily.
Occasionally i am called on to play in the G#5 to C6 range.
Question:
Other than dropping an octave or dropping out, what would be a good strategy based on music theory
Thanks in advance for any help
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be cautious, discuss this with you doctor and perhaps have a stress test done. Make sure the doctor is aware than when playing notes above the staff a trumpet player often creates thoracic air pressure that is above the venous blood pressure level of the body (which is why we tend to turn red when playing a loud high note).

That said, in my opinion, I think you can probably safely develop your range to where playing up to High C won't be overly strenuous and won't cause any harm (unless your dental issues preclude this). The key is to make sure you are playing the higher notes correctly. Here's a routine to help you do this:

I recommend getting a good Lip Flexibilities book (such as Twenty-Seven Groups of Exercises by Earl D. Irons) and each day spend about 10 to 15 minutes doing the first exercises in the book. Think "eee" with your tongue on the higher notes, and "ah" with your tongue on the lower notes (just like when you whistle - whistle from a low note to a high note and notice how your tongue arches up and forward to achieve the higher notes - it's the same when playing a brass instrument).

Now rest one hour.

After at least an hour's rest time, practice the first Study from Clarke's Technical Studies for the Cornet. Don't slur the study - single tongue the study, playing each exercise twice through and resting as long as you played between each exercise (you should ALWAYS rest as long as you play between each exercise when practicing any type of exercise book). Think "tee" with your tongue as you tongue the higher notes and think "taw" (as in "saw") with your tongue as you tongue the lower notes. Also, blow stronger as you go up on each exercise and back off as you go down - make the air do the work. Practice the exercises up to the highest one you can comfortably play. No brute force or undue straining allowed! With time you find yourself progressing to the higher exercises until you reach the highest one (which goes to High C).

The above represents about 30 minutes of playing a day (not including the one hour rest time between the two sets of exercises). Do this for a month and I think you'll see some nice results.

Both the above books can be found on Amazon.com.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: really old player concerns Reply with quote

There is a wealth of wisdom in what Mohan says. He's very knowledgeable and
thorough. At 80 you can still build up more endurance and wind capacity with guided studies. Unless, your doctor tells you there are concerns physically for you to not play high notes or play to hard or high, give it your best. I played in a city band for years and younger and older alike filled the seats. Older players would just drop out for a couple measures if too taxed and younger players would do the same if a passage was too difficult for them at that time in their musicianship. Big thing is, keep enjoying for as long as you can. I just picked up the horn again after several years off and one day tried a passage too high for my wind and support at the time. I nearly passed out. At 68 I learned a valuable lesson. Take it one step at a time. Have fun, sir!!
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By way of encouragement, know that there are several trumpeters in their 80s in my community band's trumpet section; one plays a first part and shares solos! Mohan provided much more expert advice than I possibly could, so I won't offer any.

Jim
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Severinsen turns 91 in a few hours. You can tell he doesn't have what he had in his prime, but what he still has is amazing.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Old Player Concerns Reply with quote

bronxkid31415 wrote:
Help
I am an amateur communityBand section player rapidly approaching 80 and no longer play beyond G5 due to diminishing lung capacity and serious dental issues.
I do play with very little pressure and do long tones daily.
Occasionally i am called on to play in the G#5 to C6 range.
Question:
Other than dropping an octave or dropping out, what would be a good strategy based on music theory
Thanks in advance for any help

WWDD?
"What Would Dizzy Do"?

Shortly after I met Al Cass for the first time, Dizzy came in looking for a little more help from Al in the custom mouthpiece area.

"Ah hah you're gettin old huh Diz"? Al laughed.

This is what we do. And it isn't just because of advancing age. Much of the reason we oldtimers can utilize shallower pieces is because long term trumpet players have the advantage of well rehear)sed muscle memory. Our chops are more intelligent than the younger cats.

So go shallower. As a G top of the staff on a large mouthpiece requires more energy than a high C on a shallow one. Just remember to have the throat professionally bored out to between 20 to 23. This will give the same tonal color with more power as even the largest of mouthpieces.

A large copped mouthpiece does not produce a bigger sound. It creates a darker tone. You dont need nor want the bigger piece

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever you do stay with it. you have a great hobby and something to enrich your later years.
i would not be surprised if there was a way you could work through your issues.
you are inspiring me here...
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nelson,
Glad you are still playing, I'm at it at 71, trying to catch up to you. I have issues with an abdominal hernia, but can still manage to play with an abdominal binder...awaiting more surgery for this after weight loss...

I'm going in a little different direction than some here. I wonder if your high notes were easy when you had them and how high you went. Although you might not have the largest double C in the world, it wouldn't be that unusual if you still played over high C, if your embouchure for that were correct. So I'm suggesting that you might want an embouchure consult. Maybe an embouchure change is called for, esp. with dental issues. I myself am a Reinhardt guy and I got a lot out of a few lessons with a Reinhardt embouchure doc a few years ago...suddenly playing over high C got relatively easy.

I know the fixed income game, but if you can, I would suggest taking at least a Skype lesson or two with someone who knows the Reinhardt system to see if you are playing as efficiently as you can. I don't think the high range is beyond you at this point.

Any way you slice it, do keep on playing!
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: