• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue position

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlenO

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Tongue position Reply with quote

Should the tongue be anchored behind the front teeth? Mine kind of floats.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're selling a piccolo trumpet with a detailed description and you just joined TH and have your 5 posts. You might already know a tad about tongue position. And how to clean a horn. And how long to practice. And low breathing.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it's clear that these five posts to qualify for using the marketplace are at least obviously related to real trumpet playing questions and discussions. There are many far worse examples around.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
You're selling a piccolo trumpet with a detailed description and you just joined TH and have your 5 posts. You might already know a tad about tongue position. And how to clean a horn. And how long to practice. And low breathing.

Amen!

But he probably doesn't know (yet) that no one here buys anything from 5-posters.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from another thread

mm55 wrote:
homebilly wrote:
the 5 post chumps ...

A lot of talk like this (and more) is heaped on many new posters. In those cases, it's a personal attack on a new member. It's a horrible way to welcome a new member to the community, and it's a violation of the posting guidelines in the usage agreement. But hey, it's good sport, and many of the "veteran members" have a great time patting each other on the back about how they ran off the Big Bad Five Post Newbie. Nobody deserves that kind of childish treatment.

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put horrible welcomes into context, we could also argue that somebody selling a Kanstul picc with a detailed description, which appears to obviously be written by somebody who knows his or her way around a horn, is taking cynical advantage of the community by asking questions like "should I practice to exhaustion?" or "Where should my tongue be?" in quick succession.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eating all of the free food during happy hour and never buying a drink

that's all i'm saying

let's see if there will be anymore posts at all from this
hungry hungry hippo happy hour picc peddler
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poster is following the rules, and does not deserve this childish hazing.

By following the the forum's and marketplace's rules, GlenO has just as much right to post and advertise as any of the "usual suspect" veteran members who have nothing better to do than to attack newcomers who have violated no rules.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirit of the law vs. letter of the law.

I got hammered by a veteran on my very first post for suggesting a HS music department that used nothing but Arban and whatever was in the concert folder for instructing was selling its students - some of whom might have been more encouraged by learning blues scales, etc. - short.

If the OP is truly interested in becoming a member of the TH community I am sure he will also persevere.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bar is open. let's see if he orders a drink...........
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably better to not say anything than to just keep jumping on every new poster who appears to fit the FPW (five post wonder) profile. If he (she, it) is genuine it will become apparent, and if not, that will become obvious as well with just a little time. No matter what you do (or do not) post. Jumping all over the noob (FPW or not) just looks bad to somebody perusing the site who may not know about the five-post rule and assumes all newcomers are treated badly.

Whatever - Don
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable. Totally unbelievable.

I am starting to wonder how this forum still exists with so many naysayers and critics who think they are the membership/posting/marketplace sherif. Personally, I would be embarrassed to carry on like this.

cheers

Andy
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
No matter what you do (or do not) post. Jumping all over the noob (FPW or not) just looks bad to somebody perusing the site who may not know about the five-post rule and assumes all newcomers are treated badly.

I don't' have particularly strong feelings on the matter but when there are 5 micro-posts in just a few minutes time then there's no way to believe that they just may not know the rules. And the typical lack of follow up often confirms suspicions.

But I do agree that aspiring to greater civility, in general, would be a welcome thing. One of my earliest posts I misspelled cornet and was needled a bit, and had to think twice before posting a second time. I got over it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I don't' have particularly strong feelings on the matter but when there are 5 micro-posts in just a few minutes time then there's no way to believe that they just may not know the rules.
But that's within the rules. Someone who does that is not violating any forum rule. So there's no reason to believe they don't know the rules.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tongue should stay in your mouth.
GlenO

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Wondering about the 5 post rule Reply with quote

I have been a member of TH for several years reading the forums and receiving a lot of good information. I have not felt the need to post before, although i may have done so. I am a come-back player and have been playing for 15 years. I bought a great horn through TH and now I 'm trying to sell one. My earlier purchase on ebay was a disaster that required a rescue by Dr. Valve. When posting the current sale, I was met with the 5-post rule. So I came up with 5 things that are of genuine interest to me, but which I would not have posted but for the rule.

If you don't want the posts, why do you have the rule? It seems an odd an misguided qualification for using the marketplace.
doitallman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry GlenO.

In the past we have had issues with scammers on the marketplace so they instituted this rule. Some of the members are a little quick to be mean. I see nothing wrong with the posts.
They show he has trumpet knowledge and therefore most likely not a scammer. Its the whole point IMO.
Bach 184 cornet
Bach C 229GH 25H
Nikon D300s
Wechter acoustic
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a forum go to hell before so I do understand folks here trying to police up perceived trolls and unwelcome commerce. A lot of credit goes to both the moderators and members for keeping this forum useful and civil most of the time.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my solution is simple

create a thread right below Comments and Suggestions

call it Five Posts

the new "member" posts their five posts as short or long as they wish
about anything that they wish as fast or slow as they wish.
they can now sell or buy whatever they want having met the TH requirements

then if they want the can become a part of our community and actually
participate in our discussions or just be on their way.
either way everybody is happy

you'll notice that for the most part their posts stop at the required 5 (yes, fulfilling their obligation to TH), put their stuff in the marketplace (their newly acquired right), then are never to be seen or heard from again.

calling them "members" is a stretch but yes they did follow the rules to
get their stuff in the marketplace. they also contributed zero to our community.

ron
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GlenO, thanks for trying to start a discussion about trumpet playing. It's too bad that it was side-tracked by some adolescent vigilantes with nothing better to do than pollute the forum with hazing. Your simple attempt contributed more to the community than posts dedicated to harassing and attacking newcomers for sport, which don't contribute anything.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: