• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B.E. and accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Although since starting I have gained quite a bit on my range, I don't really dare use it in concert because my accuracy really is not good right now with BE. It has definetely improved big time since the time I first began, but it's not concert worthy yet, and it would probably be too much to expect it to be with the time I've put in. Any suggestions as to quicken the process of gaining accuracy?

(I know, be patient)
HJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I know what you mean. Doing BE gave me half an octave extra, and for some time my accuracy was not great. But, I must say, it was absolutely worse before I started BE.
Your whole setup starts to feel differently, so you cannot expect to have some periods of instability or inaccuracy. Being patient comes first, but I am not really a patient person when it comes to trumpet playing (three metronomes, two keyboards, several mpc. a Bach Strad. have suffered considerably from my attempts to play some beautiful music on a brass hose, LOL). So, I had to think of something to at least have the feeling to be working on this specific item: accuracy. Trust BE, in the end it will work, but until that time what I did was:

Practice a lot of initial attacks. Set a metronome, play whatever music but play it note for note, one note per four counts. Take the horn off after every note and set it up again. So every note is a first attack. This helped me a lot (I read it in Pops' book, and I adapted it to my own needs). When your chops are changing, you have to give them a chance to find their own new way of doing what they have to do. Long tones kind of fixate the chops too much, but these initial attacks set the embouchure (whatever that looks like in the stage you are in now) the way the lips work at this time. You have not enough time to fumble your chops into a kind of thought-up form.
In the beginning I played only very short notes this way, so there was absolutely no waay I could correct them. When I missed, bad luck. Actually it is a very relaxed and nice exercise. It really gives your lips the chance to adapt to the new feelings that keep coming as long as you do the BE.

This helped me a whole lot!

Bert

[ This Message was edited by: HJ on 2003-12-02 05:25 ]
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaleb,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. BE is primarily about increasing the lip range of motion through specific exercises. How are the exercises affecting your accuracy during regular playing?

Are you talking about accuracy while doing a fully rolled in setup? If so, then Bert has already made good comments.

Just want to be sure we're on the same page!

Jeff
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, while fully rolled-in...
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read the question... The exercises don't affect my regular playing adversly at all... I'm talking about using a full roll-in as an embouchure. (see my post modified or changed embouchure)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: