• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Intermediate Studies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Intermediate Studies Reply with quote

I have noticed a sudden marked improvement in my students (14 year olds) playing since I have introduced them to John Miller's 'Progressive Studies' and Edwin Franko Goldman's 'Practical Studies'. I hear them playing them before band rehearsal (Miller's 'Rubber Lips' and Goldman's 'Study no 2' in particular). Both the clarity of sound and articulation has shown a marked improvement. I also have them working on Clarke's 'Technical Studies' and Vizzutti's '20 Dances'.

Last edited by trumpet56 on Tue May 22, 2018 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total
RonWilson

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldman's 'Practical Studies" is a terrific book. I spent a lot of time with it my first year of college, working on tonguing and articulation. I still return to it periodically to help refine my fundamentals.

Joey Tartell just edited a new version of "Practical Studies." It includes notes from him regarding each of the studies: How to interpret them, what they are intended to help with, etc.
Bulgakov

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an adult learner (though not brand new to music), I'd be curious to know what makes a good book. What in particular about Goldman stands out?

How as a teacher do you decide what is worthy and what is just average, beyond the obvious classic studies like Arban and Clark etc.?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: