• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vented 3rd valve

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icos

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Vented 3rd valve Reply with quote

I mostly play a Chicago Benge. It has a vented 3rd valve, and I really like this feature.
I am thinking of venting the 3rd valve on a 1956 Olds Recording trumpet.
Does anyone know of a reason why this may not be good move on this particular horn?
Thanks,
Sam
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st and 3rd vales are have been vented on all of my horns.

The only thing extra that I do is use hair bands to keep them from sliding off in their cases. Other than that, I don't see any drawback from venting on any horn, regardless of make or model.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninformed question here, but is there any other reason for vented valves besides making the first and third slides easier to use? I could understand how it might be beneficial to an Olds Recording (I have one) on the third slide trigger; mine works ok, but if you don’t quite “time it” right the valve compression can slow down the spring loaded slide return.
Not a big deal, I have gotten in the habit of pushing back slightly on the ring to help the slide retract, but it would be better (a little) if I didn’t need to. Sort of....kind of....I doubt that it would help me get into the Houston Symphony though....especially using an Olds Recording....😉😉

Brad
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Uninformed question here, but is there any other reason for vented valves besides making the first and third slides easier to use?
Brad

Hey Brad -

I think the 'benefits' for venting are twofold:

1) One can pre-adjust the slide lengths, avoiding any on-the-fly micro-intonation fluctuations while playing a low C#, or D, or a 1-2 valve combination note that needs attention.

2) The whole air pressure 'pop' thing is avoided, making the horn feel a bit more consistent throughout the valve combinations.

I've owned rotary trumpets which vent the third valve to aid in the use of the 3rd slide trigger, and I've also played some older Monettes that had their 3rd, or 1st and 3rd valves vented. The potential danger of having slides go the way of gravity - either in the case, on a trumpet stand, or in your lap is easily mitigated by a length of elastic band, as mentioned above.

Interestingly, I don't know of Dave venting valves on many recent horns, but then again I've never asked him to make me a horn with this modification. My gut tells me that this was a modification trend which was at one point in the recent past more popular than it is now. I take it to be a feature of an instrument that is neither a selling point nor a value-added modification. With the exception of rotary trumpets with triggers, I have never really felt any benefit with venting.

Happy practicing,

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Danbassin"][quote="Brad361"]Uninformed question here, but is there any other reason for vented valves besides making the first and third slides easier to use?
Brad[/quote]

Hey Brad -

I think the 'benefits' for venting are twofold:

1) One can pre-adjust the slide lengths, avoiding any on-the-fly micro-intonation fluctuations while playing a low C#, or D, or a 1-2 valve combination note that needs attention.

2) The whole air pressure 'pop' thing is avoided, making the horn feel a bit more consistent throughout the valve combinations.

I've owned rotary trumpets which vent the third valve to aid in the use of the 3rd slide trigger, and I've also played some older Monettes that had their 3rd, or 1st and 3rd valves vented. The potential danger of having slides go the way of gravity - either in the case, on a trumpet stand, or in your lap is easily mitigated by a length of elastic band, as mentioned above.

-DB[/quote]

Right on! I have always recommended my college students get their 3rd valve vented at least on C.

Anyone know if the rotors can be vented after assembly like pistons can?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Conn 9A Victor cornet I bought a few years ago had all 3 valves vented by a previous owner. That particular style of Conn valve (Connstellation enclosed spring barrel) is prone to bouncing, and these have much less bounce than others I've owned. That makes me think the venting helps that problem, possibly more on valves with close tolerances that would hold a pressure differential.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vented a third valve for customer on his Bb Wild Thing and though he loved it, he said it changed the timbre of the sound only while using the 3rd valve, most noticeable when playing a Harmon mute. I asked him stop by so I could hear what was happening, and sure enough it was changing the timbre of the sound. We replaced the vented third piston with a stock third piston and the sound went back sounding even and the difference in sound was gone. I have no idea as to why, but because of this I would not vent the piston.

Flip Oakes
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes wrote:
I vented a third valve for customer on his Bb Wild Thing and though he loved it, he said it changed the timbre of the sound only while using the 3rd valve, most noticeable when playing a Harmon mute. I asked him stop by so I could hear what was happening, and sure enough it was changing the timbre of the sound. We replaced the vented third piston with a stock third piston and the sound went back sounding even and the difference in sound was gone. I have no idea as to why, but because of this I would not vent the piston.

Flip Oakes

I guess you never know how changing something on one particular horn might have an effect you would not find on another.

Brad
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bach Strad, immediately after third valve venting, developed a clicking sound when the vented third valve was used. It was very obvious with a practice mute and also noticeable with a Harmon and cup mute. The vented area was restored to original and no problems since. I know that this is unusual, but never the less a risk. I have a recording of it but can’t figure out how to post it. If any one is interested in hearing it the can contact me at SSmith2226@aol.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: