• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

solotone mute intonation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: solotone mute intonation? Reply with quote

Any suggestions for intonation issues here? Specifically for the mid/low register.
I have a stonelined that's incredibly sharp most anywhere below third space C. I've already beefed up the cork some with rubber, which seems to help on the mid/upper register.
I can always try and yank the slide, but am curious what others try. If you know the book...I'm doing Seussical...How Lucky You Are. A melody line that's all around G in the staff.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an Emo Solotone mute. It is also extraordinarily sharp. I don't worry about it much if I'm just using it for a special effect or something, but if I'm going to be playing anything extended on it I have to pull the slide out an inch.
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...an inch at least I think. C and above it's tolerable, but around G it's awful.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya gotta yank the slide.

Also, really back off on volume. Get closer to the mic if you can. But mostly - back off volume.

The more you play the mute the more accustomed you'll get to using it. But even with that - yank & back off.

And quite honestly - Harmon with stem will work fine. Ya still gotta yank & back off, just not as much.

Because of the increased back-pressure with both a Solo Tone or Harmon, the tendency is to blow harder, and that will only work against you.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Ya gotta yank the slide.
And quite honestly - Harmon with stem will work fine. Ya still gotta yank & back off, just not as much.

I was going to mention the harmon route - as long as your conductor is cool with it, and your fellow brass players don't tease you mercilessly, the intonation and projection will be far better, and the sound difference will be lost on all but brass players and collectors of 78rpm records.

It should be said that the 'cleartone' mute by H&B is a variant of the Shastock 'solotone' and that vintage models (in good condition) retain better sound and playing characteristics. I have both an EMO and Warburton/Igram "Mute Meister" 'Showtone' mute. The Emo was a revelation, in that I actually found it to be playable, while the H&B models I'd previously tried out were barely so. As a previous post mentions, it's still quite sharp, however it doesn't have nearly as bad pattern intonation problems when playing moderately high or low, or at different volumes. I expected even more from the Mute Meister version, but perhaps its hard plastic construction - and equally perhaps my own expectations of feedback, blow, and the familiarity I've gained in using the EMO - has thus far yielded a sound that I don't prefer, and not much more benefit in the intonation department when compared with the EMO.

I recently came into a Walt Johnson 'Miles Mute' harmon, and would LOVE to get my hands on his 'Gatsby Mute' solotone to really make a comparison of what non-vintage options out there can best satisfy the sound expectation for the music and the playability we expect with modern equipment.

What a great show, though - I have the opportunity to do a run of it once, and rank it right up there with Gypsy! for a musical I'd love to have another shot at in my old age...

Happy practicing!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
helsinkiscott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever had to play a solo tone twice in all my years in orchestra; once on a recording. I never did find a solution, just had to practice working around the intonation problems. Mouthpiece buzzing while covering up most of the backbore. That helped more than anything.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no help for the H&M SoloTone.

Get a Mute Meister "ShowTone" - old school sound and plays in tune.

http://www.mutemeister.com

I use it quite often in Musicals, and in Big Band/combo settings.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MuteMeister Showtone is a major improvement over the Humes & Berg, though I really wish it were louder. It would have benefited from a maple resonator, like the excellent MuteMeister straight mute.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my H&B Solotone, but that’s probably because I use it on gigs several times a week...
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vintage H&B Clear-Tone that has no significant intonation problems with itself. Sounds "characteristic" to me and cuts thru pretty well. If I had two of them (one on which to experiment) I'd take out the center tube to see if it would change this mute in the way that it improves the Pixie.

However, in small-band playing without an MD to please, I use the H&B Mel-O-Wah. It has a similar "megaphone" sound. The Clear-Tone tends toward a strong, straight mute megaphone sound while the Mel-O-Wah tends more toward a cup mute, megaphone sound. Sounds great on mic.

The Mel-O-Wah can be used on tpt to wa-wa if one's arm is long enough but it's much easier with a short cornet

-Denny
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:

The Mel-O-Wah can be used on tpt to wa-wa if one's arm is long enough but it's much easier with a short cornet

-Denny

I played the 2nd book on Chicago and it calls for wa-wa effects with a Solotone while the lead player is using a Harmon.

My first thought was that I wanted to shoot the arranger because my arm isn't long enough to play that, but then decided I should just use a Harmon with the stem in.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Denny Schreffler wrote:

-Denny

wa-wa effects with a Solotone while the lead player is using a Harmon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: