• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting bounced on big band parts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These sort of situations are difficult. As an MD of a community big band I can see both sides. You have to have someone competent on the lead book and on the jazz chair. If you could play the lead book okay and had been to all the rehearsals you would stay on that part for the gig. If you were too shaky on the lead book I would be replacing you with a good sub if I could get one. The overall sound of the band comes first.

I struggle with decisions around who plays what, particularly with critical parts in the rhythm section. Do I replace the drummer when a better, keen and reliable one becomes available even though the original one has given great service?

Just had a first tenor sax quit in outrage when I asked to him to share the part with a high schooler that was better than him. Can't win them all.
Wick 2BFL
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all worked out, the gig went ok. The lead guy turned out to be an alum, one of the founders, so I wouldn't have gotten any traction with complaining, anyway. Yeah, he had range, though I heard a recording of one tune, he chipped a bunch of notes. Still, as a section we sounded good and it was low stress playing 3rd. Where we really have trouble is the rhythm section (or lack thereof) but that's another story!
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This.

EVERY single band I have played where the players are at least semi-pro pass parts. Most of the really good cats will pass it off as "oh, can you help me out a bit here", but you KNOW they're doing it for you.

I too will cover any seat although I prefer the lead chair. I will do so without complaint, happily. However, I do appreciate getting tossed a bone from time to time. If this continually does not happen in bands where I am not getting paid, I too will leave. Not cool.

homebilly wrote:
i had been doing this mambo rehearsal band for a while where me and another player were always there. we passed the lead parts between us as the third guy didn't want any lead. i'm not a lead player but like to keep in shape when i can.

so now the leader puts together a public rehearsal and calls one of the young high note guys to help out. note that i didn't say lead player but high note guy. so he finally shows up 15 minutes late and i'm already on the lead chair. where i come from, too late charlie you sit on 4th but i decide to hand over the book to see what happens. well you guessed it, he hogs all of the lead and i sit on 4th. doesn't pass a thing. it doesn't even cross his mind. again, where i come from YOU DON'T SHOW UP LATE without consequences and YOU DON'T HOG LEAD PARTS.

well, after that i decided to bail and my part passing buddy came along and now they have no regulars and my friend and i have made ourselves permanently unavailable.

we are there to have fun and work on things that we need to work on. in my case i am on the jazz chair in general and like to stretch and work on my lead playing in rehearsal bands. as we aren't getting paid i better get something out of it other than filling a seat.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Church orchestra I play in brings in pros to fill the sections when necessary. This often means bringing in one in the trumpet section, who typically plays the lead part.

While I would love to be playing the lead part, I actually just love playing and am willing and happy to play any part. I have expressed this to the director so he can make an objective decision without worrying about stepping on my toes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: