• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Musescore?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malco

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Musescore? Reply with quote

Do people use this ? can we post our own?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the MuseScore sheet music resource quite a bit. I know if you subscribe you can publish your own works.

And while I haven't taken to using MuseScore notation software myself, there is the option of downloading from their site in XML format which imports to other notation software.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it. In addition to notation, it does transposition too. I had to do a lot of googling to figure some things out. But if I used it more frequently I'm sure it would go smoother.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MuseScore all the time, for both transcriptions and arrangements. It's free and it's relatively easy to use.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
treymeansthree

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a Finale user for 15 years or so. I was just introduced to MuseScore by some of my high school students. I've used it a couple of times now to give it a try. I believe with a minimal amount of practice, it will be much quicker to use MuseScore. It does come with limitations compared to Finale though.

Bb - Warburton 434-ML
Picc - Yamaha 6810S
Flugel - Yamaha 631
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treymeansthree wrote:
I have been a Finale user for 15 years or so. I was just introduced to MuseScore by some of my high school students. I've used it a couple of times now to give it a try. I believe with a minimal amount of practice, it will be much quicker to use MuseScore. It does come with limitations compared to Finale though.

It's encouraging that there are HS students interested in music notation.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love MuseScore. For my extremely limited needs - mostly limited to writing out lead sheets for my jazz combo and horn arrangements for pickup rock bands - it is more than powerful enough and quite easy to use once you get the hang of it. It's very easy to include chord changes and lyrics and whatever else I need to throw in there. And you can't beat free!

I have used the XML export function in order to share scores with people that use Finale as well, so that's nice.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right there with Turkle (and others) on this. If I had limited needs for a music notation program, I would use MuseScore because it is direct, simple, and pretty powerful. In some ways, it reminds me of Pro Composer from back in the day, in a good way. It is intuitive, simple to use, and is a very, very good program.

While it is true that Finale offers some things that a composer/arranger might need (and I found those shortcomings in MuseScore pretty quickly), it is also true that I recommend MuseScore to my beginning electronic music classes at the collegiate level as an excellent introduction to computer music notation, and maybe the only tool they will ever need. Finale has been coming out with some great academic level pricing as of late, but even so, if your needs are limited, there is really no reason to purchase it at $200-700 when MuseScore fits your needs and your contribution goes so much further for those folks. I contribute to it just as I do to a couple other outstanding computer-music programs that are essentially donation-ware because it benefits my students, and what we do.

Hope my minor dissertation is not too long,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I was convinced I needed Finale I got a ton of use out of PrintMusic which is pretty economical. I believe NotePad is free but I've not used it and can't say how it compares to either PrintMusic (or MuseScore). The obvious advantage to these particular cheap/free programs is that they are produced by the makers of Finale and have the same interface as Finale in case you decide to upgrade.

On the other hand, MuseScore produces some really good notation and some of the playback is even richer than Finale's.

Check this out...
https://musescore.com/user/11925996/scores/4344686

Last edited by cheiden on Thu May 24, 2018 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Before I was convinced I needed Finale I got a ton of use out of PrintMusic which is pretty economical. I believe NotePad is free but I've not used it and can't say how it compares to wither PrintMusic (or MuseScore). The obvious advantage to these particular cheap/free programs is that they are produced by the makers of Finale have the same interface as Finale in case you decide to upgrade.

On the other hand, MuseScore produces some really good notation and some of the playback is even richer than Finale's.

Check this out...

If you can make use of the XLM import into Finale, or the export into XML, these two programs can exchange files. It is very interesting that they can make that work, but much better than creating a MIDI file and trying to import it without loss of entries (dynamics, rehearsal marks, etc.)
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Finale Notepad for a long time, but could never justify the money to buy the full version of Finale. I've used MuseScore for about six years now--my son, who was then in high school, turned me on to it. I've done choral scores, brass ensembles, and big band charts with ease. It will print pdf files of scores and individual parts and also export them as wav files, which can then be imported into Audacity (another great free program) to make mp3 files. As the choir director in my church, this has been really useful in helping choir members learn their parts, especially those who don't read music and have to learn it by rote. I can also use my MIDI interface to enter notes from my Yamaha keyboard, which saves hours of work.

I don't know what Finale does that MuseScore can't do--I'm sure there's something--but getting all of MuseScore's features for free, I can live without Finale.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Musescore, especially since Google had it on a 'summer of code' list and it made a lot of progress at the time and it's still getting steadily better all the time.

Some things are much easier than Finale in my opinion, like part extraction from a score is really easy. I think the engraved parts look better too.

Others prefer Sibelius, whatever you like (and can afford) is the one to use.

There is no "file hosting" here, so not much point in trying to post musescore files here. If you want that, use the Musescore website for it.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
cheiden wrote:
Before I was convinced I needed Finale I got a ton of use out of PrintMusic which is pretty economical. I believe NotePad is free but I've not used it and can't say how it compares to wither PrintMusic (or MuseScore). The obvious advantage to these particular cheap/free programs is that they are produced by the makers of Finale have the same interface as Finale in case you decide to upgrade.

Check this out...

If you can make use of the XLM import into Finale, or the export into XML, these two programs can exchange files. It is very interesting that they can make that work, but much better than creating a MIDI file and trying to import it without loss of entries (dynamics, rehearsal marks, etc.)

I've not tried to export from Finale through XML into MuseScore though that would be interesting to explore.

I've done a good bit of MIDI into Finale, and while it can be better than entering from scratch, XML imports are indeed way better.

Last edited by cheiden on Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Musescore Sample Reply with quote

Here's an example of what can be done with Musescore.

[url]https://1drv.ms/b/s!AkThsDPxI4bchEPEzt-oVn-P8-IC[/url]

You will have to manually extract the link - the software here doesn't tolerate special characters in links.

Enjoy,
Gary.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I've not tried to export from Finale through XML into MuseScore though that would be interesting to explore.

I can tell you from experience that it's not always perfect. I don't know whether the problem is that Finale's MusicXML export is buggy or MuseScore's MusicXML interpreter is buggy.

Often it works fine, but I've seen it fail rather spectacularly.

Responding to the OP, I use MuseScore for everything, from lead sheets to transcriptions to big band arrangements, and have for some time. I'm very happy with it for my limited needs.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does MuseScore allow for moveable clefs?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Does MuseScore allow for moveable clefs?

These are the clefs supported in version 2:

Gary.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
cheiden wrote:

I can tell you from experience that it's not always perfect. I don't know whether the problem is that Finale's MusicXML export is buggy or MuseScore's MusicXML interpreter is buggy.

Often it works fine, but I've seen it fail rather spectacularly.

Responding to the OP, I use MuseScore for everything, from lead sheets to transcriptions to big band arrangements, and have for some time. I'm very happy with it for my limited needs.

Hi Jeff,

You should see some of my MIDI to Finale failures. Those are epically bad! XML seems like a Godsend compared to those days!

Hope you are well!

AL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: