• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The search begins...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
howardjb98

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: The search begins... Reply with quote

Hi all! I live in an area where there are ZERO trumpet shops and I have no friends that play trumpet. So, when I buy one (I'll get to that in a sec), I won't be able to try it first. So, here is what I am looking for. I am looking for a medium or medium large bore (would consider other bores too though) that has some resistance and doesn't require as much air and effort as my current horn that has literally zero resistance and takes an air compressor to fill up. Bright or dark doesn't really matter to me, as I play in lots of settings where blending with other trumpets doesn't matter and the style of music we play isn't really dependent on dark or bright. Slotting is something I am not sure of yet, but I definitely prefer something responsive. My price range is 1500ish dollars and below. What are your suggestions, new or old, doesn't matter? Thanks in advance!
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of horns will meet your requirements, and there are probably hundreds of similar threads here on TH. For the money you want to spend, though, a new Getzen Eterna Classic comes to my mind immediately. This horn closely conforms to the specifications of the vintage Getzen Eterna Severinsens that were built in the 1960s-70s, which have pretty good reputations. I play an old Severinsen and have had an Eterna Classic - tough to go wrong with one of them. It does occur to me that a new Classic now costs somewhere in the low $2000s, time flies...

Jim
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you playing now?

The Jupiter XO 1600i could be a good option for you. Although it is a "M" bore, it isn't exactly a "tight" horn by any means, but everyone has different opinions of what that means.

Also a Yamaha 8310z is worth a look as is a Bach M with a 38 bell or a Schilke S42 or B6, if you can find one in your price-range.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another medium bore horn to consider, is the Bobby Shew model by Yamaha.

New, they're going for around $2,312.

So if you can find a used one, it may be in your price range.

Good luck!

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
howardjb98

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendations! On the shew model, how does the step bore feel compared to a regular bore?
feedback@stomvi-usa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At $1395 the Stomvi Forte is an incredible instrument. It is a compact easy blowing ML bore.

http://stomvi-usa.com/shop/forte-bb-trumpet-2/

Link

Best, Jon

https://stomvi-usa.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/stomviusavideo
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stomvi-USA/106129483617
https://twitter.com/Stomvi_USA
888-702-7277
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.austincustombrass.com

(I don't work there. I get nothing for referrals or anything like that. Trent is just a really good, straight forward guy. A great player and he knows A LOT about horns. If anybody can help you, he can!)
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The search begins... Reply with quote

howardjb98 wrote:
Hi all! I live in an area where there are ZERO trumpet shops and I have no friends that play trumpet. So, when I buy one (I'll get to that in a sec), I won't be able to try it first. So, here is what I am looking for. I am looking for a medium or medium large bore (would consider other bores too though) that has some resistance and doesn't require as much air and effort as my current horn that has literally zero resistance and takes an air compressor to fill up. Bright or dark doesn't really matter to me, as I play in lots of settings where blending with other trumpets doesn't matter and the style of music we play isn't really dependent on dark or bright. Slotting is something I am not sure of yet, but I definitely prefer something responsive. My price range is 1500ish dollars and below. What are your suggestions, new or old, doesn't matter? Thanks in advance!

What are you playing now that's too open for you?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you not get yourself somewhere to try some horns?

I'd rather have $1500 to spend on a horn I could play in advance than $1800 to buy blind...
And it's unlikely to cost you $300 in travel surely?

No matter how much of a pain it is, your peace of mind is worth it...
And you'll have a horn you chose to suit you, not TH's (at best) half informed guesstimates.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: The search begins... Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
howardjb98 wrote:

What are you playing now that's too open for you?

Hi razeontherock

This is what I was thinking. If howardjb98 has a really open trumpet, then something middle of the road like a Bach 37 or Yamaha Xeno may be what he is looking for.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
howardjb98

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies! I think I found a good deal on a 74 strad 37, and from what I've read, the early 70s were good years for the strad. I think that is the way I will go. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: