• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trouble with playing while marching?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsimmons242

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Trouble with playing while marching? Reply with quote

Hey, I’m going to be playing in a marching band for the first time and while trying to practice walking while I play, I’ve noticed that my notes quiver and struggle dramatically, is there any excercised I can can do to help this?
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....don't play in marching band. I'm being facetious. I know that there are a lot of people here who are into drum corps and such. They may be able to offer some practical advice if you HAVE to do this.
Personally, in all of my years of playing in school, marching band was the thing I hated most, but I was required to do it. I even played football my sophomore year of high school to avoid it. I didn't have to do the football games, but there I was the last week of November in the Florida sun, marching 8 miles and tooting my horn with the mouthpiece bouncing around my mouth like a fly on acid......
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bands encourage a heel-toe roll, which helps smooth things out quite a bit. You can also absorb some of the shock in your hips. Minimizing the bounciness is good. Beyond that, you'll get used to it. It will sound terrible at first, but the body is highly adaptable.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to cope is to simply not march. Ever. Take up waterpolo, knitting, drone racing, whatever.

The next easiest is that you will need to practice. A LOT. I get my kids, who are made to march in some cases, to work on mach with out their instrument and get the hang of lifting their foot, rather than stamping it down. this reduces the shock transferring to their lips and their sound wobbling.

They also work on relaxing after and playing relaxed, ing notes to get away from the additional pressure they seem to use to keep their sound stable.

I encourage all sorts of things - as an alternative. One is a rugby referee... another took up swimming.

cheers

Andy
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, work on marching better.. good posture, where you actually lean back a bit, keeping a firm butt, and "roll" your steps. Keeping most of the movement below your waist. In controlling your foot placement and movement you can minimize the bouncing in your upper body.

Marching band can be hard on you playing (outside, loud, moving around, etc) but if you work on the mechanics, and balance all that aggressive playing with some quiet practicing you can make it work and keep it a positive experience (chop wise).

There are a lot of positives that can come out of marching band if you are smart about your playing. Posture, support, rhythmical accuracy, playing loud under control, etc.. besides it can be a ton of fun.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
snip snip snip

There are a lot of positives that can come out of marching band if you are smart about your playing. Posture, support, rhythmical accuracy, playing loud under control, etc.. besides it can be a ton of fun.

I'm not trying to be an a******e here, but somebody please tell me what 'positives' and 'fun' comes out of marching band. Seriously. The only 'fun' I ever had in marching band was AFTER an event at the local pizza or soda shop. I never had fun marching around practicing formations in the hot sun over and over, or having overblow for hours on end to try to help bring 'excitement' to some God awful musical arrangement of some God awful tune that somebody thought would sound good on a football field. I know I'm being negative here, but I've never seen the point....
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP's problem isn't a playing problem, it's a marching problem. Watch the footwork.

Link

'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, Pinstriper.
Some things are hard to do well. Marching and playing well are hard, but many groups accomplish the task beautifully. The positives and the fun are clearly valued by a lot of musicians and audiences.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
zaferis wrote:
snip snip snip

I'm not trying to be an a******e here, but somebody please tell me what 'positives' and 'fun' comes out of marching band. Seriously. The only 'fun' I ever had in marching band was AFTER an event at the local pizza or soda shop. I never had fun marching around practicing formations in the hot sun over and over, or having overblow for hours on end to try to help bring 'excitement' to some God awful musical arrangement of some God awful tune that somebody thought would sound good on a football field. I know I'm being negative here, but I've never seen the point....

Doing something you don't want to do is never fun. Don't let your own lack of desire or lack of interest get in the way of someone else's enjoyment.

If someone wants to march and wants to challenge himself to playing his best under those conditions and under the rules of marching in a HS band or a drum corps, why dissuade him?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had trouble getting a really good player to march well. If you were incoming into our program, my suggestion would be to take private lessons, work on your all-state audition music, and get to where you can sing any part of the show at any moment, whether you can play it or not doesn't really matter too much at this point in the game.

I would much rather a student take the time to work on the things listed above and come to summer camp as strong a player as possible with as much familiarity with how the show should sound, and let me teach them to march and systematically guide that process, than have them come in with incorrect technique (or even just incorrect for our program) and be further behind, playing wise, than the students who put their time in on the horn over the summer.

Seriously....7 times out of 10 marching problems with young students have their roots in playing issues that have never been addressed. By the end of your first few days of summer camp, the quiver in your sound will be gone. The greater concern is once that happens, is what problems stay after that happens.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
khedger wrote:
zaferis wrote:
snip snip snip

Doing something you don't want to do is never fun. Don't let your own lack of desire or lack of interest get in the way of someone else's enjoyment.

If someone wants to march and wants to challenge himself to playing his best under those conditions and under the rules of marching in a HS band or a drum corps, why dissuade him?

Just trying to save him some aggravation, that's all...
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
zaferis wrote:
snip snip snip

I was big into marching band in HS. Musically it didn't teach me much. Because of marching band I believe I became a more powerful player. To me, it was like being part of a sports team. Working as a team to win. I had a lot of fun in band and really loved it at the time. The biggest thing it did to hurt me was, I didn't read well. You learn 4 songs and play them over and over again.

When I was there we marched until Thanksgiving and then went to concert band. Now in the same HS they march all the time. Maybe one concert a year. I believe this is hurting the kids musically. Everything in moderation.
ohnecael

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
zaferis wrote:
snip snip snip

The point for alot of people including me, is the comradery that is developed between sections and the whole band. Im assuming you marched during the "make a straight line and play loud" era of marching band.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not playing in marching band will help that issue! Or at least only play when youre standing in one spot
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:

Totally lost on me as well what people enjoy about the experience - pretty much everything you said. Plus the acoustics in most places is absolutely antithetical to a good sound.

That having been said, in the right venue with the right mic'ing a really good band can sound incredible.

Band competitions apparently are a really big deal in Asia. Here's an incredible all-girl marching band from Japan. Clearly they're really dedicated to this. You'll need to turn your system volume up, the volume is low. The music starts at about 1:35, for some reason the last 3 mins or so is credits.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can up the acoustics by marching on a stage!
https://youtu.be/m9KgArk4YKc
The brass ramps up around 3:30 but the entire thing is wonderful if you like brass and Samuel Barber.

I've never been a big fan of actually marching myself but I sure do appreciate folks that are and can do it at these high levels.

To the OP, there are plenty of examples of how folks are stepping to minimize the impact on the chops.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jollypear

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely enjoyed marching band for the physical expression I learned how to control and show. I agree that hammering out some fundamentals in your playing will give you the best foundation for when you start marching, especially at your age and what I'm assuming is your time playing the trumpet so far. Long tones and breath support!

When you start rehearsals, you will be taught how to stand and then move. Always consider your posture first. What really helped my sound in drum corps was the idea of lifting up and separating my rib cage from my lower body. "Athlete on the bottom, musician on top." Just keep it in mind when you get going! It's something new, progress will come naturally and gradually.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with everyone else who says to avoid marching and playing if you can. Heck, underwater basket weaving is a better endeavor IMO.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I'm right there with everyone else who says to avoid marching and playing if you can. Heck, underwater basket weaving is a better endeavor IMO.

I side with this! Having marched as well as played underwater "basket"
I can only say that breathing was my biggest problem. In both enterprises.
Marching whilst playing soprano cornet -

On the other hand playing S:t Louis Blues March Miller style sitting down with those drum solos - yes!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, don't knock marching band or corps too much guys...It IS a form or theater, after all. And it is an art form that millions of kids grew up participating in, often the only form of art that many young people participate in while growing up.

I know several brass players that came up in marching band and drum corps. A few went through my school band programs, and a couple that actually became professional players.

My emphasis in school was ALWAYS "sit-down" band, and we worked hard on this for 2/3's of the school year. That being said, I have never had a player that could not handle the rigors of marching and playing, nor suffered ANY ill affects to "legitimate" playing.

I did have students that opted out of marching season, for sports and cheerleading, etc. They ALWAYS came back for concert band season, and some were among my strongest players. I never got my shorts in a knot because they did this...

I also had many doublers...clarinet/flute players that enjoyed playing trumpet, euphonium, mellophone, percussion, etc. in marching band.

These were young people that enjoyed the challenge.

I agree that many directors over-emphasize the sport/competition aspect of marching, but some of this is just because they are trumpet players and have the "I'm a trumpet player, and I'm better than you" syndrome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: