• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can scarring be removed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Can scarring be removed? Reply with quote

I'm not 100% happy with the repair to the bell of this horn. It was done before I bought it, and I knew it had been repaired, so no foul there.

Turns out that I really like the horn, and want to make it look better.

Is there a process to remove the scarring from the repair? Who is good at this sort of thing?

Thanks,
Gary.

trumpetguy27
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually looks like a fairly decent repair from major damage... my guess is that to make it significantly better you will need to have the lacquer removed/redone as the lines are now raw brass. Looks like you are in the right location however because Mike Del Quadro is the best in the biz with this kind of stuff and he is in Las Vegas. Look him up on Facebook or dqscustomshop.com.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetguy27 wrote:
That actually looks like a fairly decent repair from major damage... my guess is that to make it significantly better you will need to have the lacquer removed/redone as the lines are now raw brass. Looks like you are in the right location however because Mike Del Quadro is the best in the biz with this kind of stuff and he is in Las Vegas. Look him up on Facebook or dqscustomshop.com.

The scars are from work hardening and are a different color - there isn't a lot of lacquer on the bell. In those spots the metal seems thinner, and they're right where the bell is seamed. The bell does seem to restored to the correct shape.

Del Quadro isn't exactly in the area - Las Vegas is a 7 hour drive. There's only one local repair tech, and he specializes in clarinets...

Thanks!
Gary.
ResilienceOils

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there are lines in the bell that you can see from the transition of light. The damage that was done is actually the brass pulling which creates a scar yes. The previous work is questionable because the pressure used to fix the damage actually made more damage running up the bell. All of this can be fixed...the bell might sound a little different in the end but could be for the better as there is tension in the metal right now. I work at B.A.C. in Kansas City and this is a pretty standard job.
HMU if you need contact info.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send it to one of the world-class techs and they'll take care of it. In fact, if you like the horn that much, get the full restoration. It's expensive, over a thousand by now from Charlie Melk, but totally worth it if you're keeping the horn for life.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.silverandbrassmusic.com/index.html

Carson City. I'm planning a trip to the store to try out horns. If you go, let me know what you think of the place.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
http://www.silverandbrassmusic.com/index.html

Carson City. I'm planning a trip to the store to try out horns. If you go, let me know what you think of the place.

Thanks. Looks to be more interesting than the local shop; I've added visiting there to my to-do list.

I particularly like their "take your clarinets somewhere else" attitude.

Gary.
philosofriend
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an experienced technician. I used to think I could make those better till I realized that some of the metal was stretched and I had no technique to shrink it. No amount of pushing can fix it.
Don't let someone like me touch your horn.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: can scarring be removed? Reply with quote

I think the guy that suggested a complete restoration was spot on if you love the trumpet that much. Bachs are $3000-3500, Kanstul at least that. A grand to have the horn be exactly like you want sounds reasonable in view of new prices. There are some really reputable people on here that will fix it right up for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: