• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Video: Middle Aged Amatuer Lead Player w/Range but No Style

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Video: Middle Aged Amatuer Lead Player w/Range but No Style Reply with quote

Here is an example of what I was talking about in the other thread. I know how this should sound. I know when to make notes short, when to back tongue, how hard to swing..........but I can’t seem to do it. My style is not right. I am performing this tune this weekend.

https://youtu.be/uQ7Fv9xAztk
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Video: Middle Aged Amatuer Lead Player w/Range but No S Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
Here is an example of what I was talking about in the other thread. I know how this should sound. I know when to make notes short, when to back tongue, how hard to swing..........but I can’t seem to do it. My style is not right. I am performing this tune this weekend.

https://youtu.be/uQ7Fv9xAztk

My pro buddy sometime tells me that sometimes I play in a way that is, sort of, fragmented; imagine walking along, suddenly stopping, and then walking again. Intermittent. Perhaps described as talking in very short phrases, making pauses, on /off. Instead of a "fluent" stream of words, long enough to be "emotionalized" - the opposite of droning.
The remedy I´m told is to concentrate on making longer musical lines, connecting the notes. Singing a song, or telling a story with a "drive" behind it, concentrating on the flow. Makes me think of a river, water streaming, eddies where the water sudddenly flows quicker, variations of speed/accentuation.
So I would say practice playing chorals, long tones, exaggerating the nuances (=if performed like that making the audience jump) - sing them first - then take more "swingy" phrases, always sing them at first, keeping up the flow! In normal speech the length of a phrase is about 3 seconds;
Now take as an example Ellingtons´ Solitude - simple melody but it has to convey a certain feeling; experiment with playing it the discontinual way, and then play the phrase in its full length "Iiiinn myyyy sooooliituuude", slowly slowly... (closing yours eyes might help!)!
Not that easy to demonstrate - this is what came to my mind.
You have such a nice sound - make it carry a message (like "I´m utterly mad"/I´m utterly scared/I´m utterly sad/I´m utterly alone - and so forth)!
I suspect many of us have a potential for improvement in this respect..
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just sounds like you're playing random notes that don't lead into each other. That is, there's no sense of melody.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the first 15 seconds. I think if you'd looped back to your initial pattern and repeated/played around with the rhythm it would be really good. It may be that your range is a slight challenge for you, that you are wanting to go all out and make each solo a kind of conclusion. When I've been watching jazz players it seems like often there's an intro, then each player gets their 12 bars to noodle around, riffing off the main melody, and then they wrap it up together.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I guess I should clarify. The video is the ending of the tune, the final
shout section. It’s a piece by Cassio Vianna—who just accepted the Jazz Studies Prof position at PLU—called “Scrabble” and I am playing it about 40 bpm under tempo.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
I guess I guess I should clarify. The video is the ending of the tune, the final
shout section. It’s a piece by Cassio Vianna—who just accepted the Jazz Studies Prof position at PLU—called “Scrabble” and I am playing it about 40 bpm under tempo.

Me being the stubborn type - so read my post dammit
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
INTJ wrote:

Me being the stubborn type - so read my post dammit

What makes you think I didn’t?
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might have been the wrong way to do this. I know exactly how this excerpt should sound. I posted this link to show what I described in the other thread. This is how I wind up playing. ZERO issues with range as range extension lends itself well to a disciplined analytical approach. Jazz style does not seem respond as well to that analytical approach, which may well put it beyond me in the 1-2 hours a day I am willing to devote to trumpet.

Like I described in my other thread, I simply do not have jazz style internalized, even after years of studying with an excellent pro player/teacher. My style is mediocre and unless this new idea of singing jazz licks works, I am done.......
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less studying; more listening.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you ever play along with professional recordings? Do that. Get to the point where you can match, note for note, the style of the lead player.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
This might have been the wrong way to do this. I know exactly how this excerpt should sound. I posted this link to show what I described in the other thread. This is how I wind up playing. ZERO issues with range as range extension lends itself well to a disciplined analytical approach. Jazz style does not seem respond as well to that analytical approach, which may well put it beyond me in the 1-2 hours a day I am willing to devote to trumpet.

Like I described in my other thread, I simply do not have jazz style internalized, even after years of studying with an excellent pro player/teacher. My style is mediocre and unless this new idea of singing jazz licks works, I am done.......

You have determined your limited options ...based on what people have posted in this thread?

It sounds to me that you have never been taught how to play swing time. People have told you to "listen to this and copy it," but that process only works for some players, and only to some degree. The swing time nuances that separate the pro from the amateur sometimes need to be taught. And they can be taught.

Jeff
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get jazz specific private lessons, and I would start here:

http://www.scottybarnhart.com/lessons.html

A legend of a player, and looking at the lesson descriptions, I would guess he could cater to your analytical side fairly well. If this doesn't float your boat or looks too expensive etc, there are a ton more. Just run a google search.

If this is something you want to do and you are stuck, get real help. You can learn to do this in 1-2 hrs a day, but not if you are flailing in the dark and consumed by doubt.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Video: Middle Aged Amatuer Lead Player w/Range but No S Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
I know how this should sound. I know when to make notes short, when to back tongue, how hard to swing.

Knowing when to do xyz isn't the same thing as knowing how it should sound.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should look to play somewhere where you don't have to play lead. If you play in the section you will be forced to listen to how the other guys are playing. You might learn a lot that way.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing a lot of problems just maintaining a consistent time structure totally independent of the issue of playing with correct jazz styling. Practicing with a metronome could help a lot in ingraining consistent time structure into your playing. That really has to come first before worrying about jazz styling because maintaining a consistent time structure is foundational to any type of styling.

Many times the player thinks they are maintaining a consistent time structure but playing back the recording shows otherwise. So, this is not necessarily a natural or inherent skill. Playing with a metronome is the most reliable way to train yourself to maintain consistent time. You build skills by starting with the most foundational and working up to the most specific as the foundational skills solidify. If I were you I wouldn't work on or even worry about jazz styling until I was rock solid in maintaining consistent time.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

Listening how and to what? Analytical listening or just let it play? Big bands or combos? I have being listening for years, but obviously not doing it the right way.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
Do you ever play along with professional recordings? Do that. Get to the point where you can match, note for note, the style of the lead player.

I have done that a fair amount.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trumpetteacher1"]
INTJ wrote:
You have determined your limited options ...based on what people have posted in this thread?

Not remotely.

Quote:
It sounds to me that you have never been taught how to play swing time. People have told you to "listen to this and copy it," but that process only works for some players, and only to some degree. The swing time nuances that separate the pro from the amateur sometimes need to be taught. And they can be taught.

Jeff

I have been taught, but have not learned. I spent about six years with a 25 year pro jazz/lead player with a Masters in Jazz composition. He taught me the fundamentals: back tonguing, short vs fat, no space vs lots of space, tongue cutoffs, two-thirds/one-third for slower swing and shuffle,
60/40 for faster to just articulation for very fast, quarter notes are usually short and/or fat unless marked otherwise, etc. I took a couple lessons from a talented kid earlier this year and found I had learned none of that.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result is insanity. Thus my efforts with the postings here.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Jeff in that we can be taught how to swing, or play higher, etc....but if you have a belief that you can master the trumpet, and your (trumpet playing) happiness is conditional upon the myth that anyone could master it, then IMHO you are going to be miserable. Trumpet playing is hard enough without that saddle on your back.

Ask any professional ( whom you may believe is a master of this beast) if they are satisfied with their playing, and I can guarantee what the answer is going to be.

You have the rest of your life to get better... try to spend some time in your playing just enjoying the challenge.

All the best

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: