• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

HCI or 48B or Recording?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out from my late teacher's son that he played a Buescher at one time, and his son still has it. When I was studying with him, he had a matching pair of Olds Operas, trumpet and cornet. As a highschooler, I was dismissive of them because they weren't silver Bachs. The only pro horns known to me were silver Bachs, and some people had Benges. But Olds? Junky student horns. And that went for everything else that wasn't a silver Bach. Conn, Getzen, don't make me laugh. My teacher though, played in the first chair Starlight Orchestra and second chair the San Diego Symphony. He ran a music school and led the San Diego County Optimist Youth Band. Before that, he was accepted into the US Navy band in Washington DC, but had to ship out on the USS Northampton, whose sinking in the battle of Tassafaronga he survived. He also played in at least one traveling dance band, either before or after the war. Merle Coady.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
I found out from my late teacher's son that he played a Buescher at one time, and his son still has it. When I was studying with him, he had a matching pair of Olds Operas, trumpet and cornet. As a highschooler, I was dismissive of them because they weren't silver Bachs. The only pro horns known to me were silver Bachs, and some people had Benges. But Olds? Junky student horns. And that went for everything else that wasn't a silver Bach. Conn, Getzen, don't make me laugh. My teacher though, played in the first chair Starlight Orchestra and second chair the San Diego Symphony. He ran a music school and led the San Diego County Optimist Youth Band. Before that, he was accepted into the US Navy band in Washington DC, but had to ship out on the USS Northampton, whose sinking in the battle of Tassafaronga he survived. He also played in at least one traveling dance band, either before or after the war. Merle Coady.

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that you were brought up thinking Olds, Conn and Getzen were junk but now you don't? Or you still think they are junk?

Booker Little, obviously Mendez, Blue Mitchell, Uan Rasey, Clark Terry... all played Olds. Anyone who says Olds are junk are full of it!!

Thing about horns is they are personal things, just make a point to play test without prejudice. I used to not like balanced horns, but since accustoming to my HCI which is somewhat balanced in config, I have really grown to like them... I put up with the quirks for the sound

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's what I thought as a teenager. I currently own a Special and a 10B, both of which I feel are wondrous players.
Bach 7C mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
No, that's what I thought as a teenager. I currently own a Special and a 10B, both of which I feel are wondrous players.

Ah right! Yeah I know players can grow up with learned prejudices.

Good luck on your hunt!

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 48B weighs a ton - the original heavyweight horn. That would rule it out for me, although I love the deco design of the thing. Olds will be the most consistent of the the three you mention. Martin is all over the ballpark in terms of response. I will say some of the best Martins I've played in recent years were Handcrafts. I'm starting to think the bracing inside of the tuning crook has something to do w/the response of them. After the war they eliminated that brace.
https://yourbrass.com/
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
Actually I owned a 48B. Weird horn. Played funny. Took it to Charlie Melk. He couldn't make it not play funny. Sold it. Why did it play funny? We couldn't figure it out.

Probably not all of them are like that.

Traded it for a 14B. MUCH better horn. If its intonation wasn't just slightly different from the Bueschers I would have kept it. Drove me nuts trying to play it. Totally different intonation I think I could have dealt with.

Tom

The 48B certainly has a feel much different than the other horns the OP is considering. It is a relatively heavy horn with a rimless bell. In terms of the "coolness factor" it's hard to top the 48B but I can understand that some players would find it to be a little strange in feel, operation and playing characteristics. I have one in my collection and it's quite an artistic statement and really fun to play but I never take it to gigs because it's sound is a little dated and you can't expect it to blend with anything else in the section. Still, that fun factor is very appealing.
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zman wrote:
This horn was one of the transition models - it probably had the reversed tuning slide setup too (Or perhaps you are confusing it with a Martin Handcraft Standard model which had the same engraving as the pre 1938 Handcraft Imperials) But the horn you described exists - but is quite scarce.

As I recall, it did have the reverse tuning slide. It was definitely a Martin Handcraft Dansant.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a streamlined diesel locomotive. If I had one, I'd name it Superchief.
Bach 7C mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured I would chime in as I currently own and play all three, plus the Buescher 400. I think Doug is right, all of them are excellent horns and can work in most situations with the right mouthpiece. Here are my impressions:

Olds Recording: mine is an early Fullerton. A great all around horn, very nimble to play with a wonderful rich tone (though I think the Super is a little more nimble). Of course, build quality is fantastic and Olds valves are just about the best. My favorite Olds trumpet is the Standard, but it's hard to beat a good Recording. Probably the most 'conventional' of the three.

HCI: I have a ca 1937 model, and it's my favorite horn as far as tone. It's #2 bore, so it is very easy to play. It slots very well. The feel of the valves is a little clunkier than the Olds, and for that reason I don't play it as much as I should. The mouthpiece receiver is a little narrower than most other horns so if you're trying to dial in the gap it might be confusing or at least more complicated than the others.

48B: It is a very nice playing Conn (kind of like a 2b, with a big broad tone) and is very heavy. From a design and appearance standpoint it is a real masterpiece. I don't play it much because I don't like the Conn Clickless valves. It seems I can never get those to work very well. I also have a 48a -- the cornet version -- which I think plays better than the 48b. The wide wrap is definitely an improvement over the 40b.

I have a very early Buescher 400 - ca 1938- and it is a great horn. The blow is definitely different than most trumpets I've played, but it works very well, intonation and slotting is good and the tone is very thick. Ergonomically it's very easy and pleasant to hold, pretty heavy.

Of course, impressions of how horns play are completely subjective, and can vary so much depending on mouthpiece choice. Any time I try a new horn I find I have to spend some time dialing in the mouthpiece and gap.

Also, I agree with something Brad Goode posted here a while back: The way a horn feels to play is more important than the subtle nuances of how it sounds. I always end up playing the horn that feels best to me.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, if you get them dialed in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: