• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Graduate School Options

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jollypear

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Graduate School Options Reply with quote

I'm quickly approaching my final year of my undergrad performance degree, auditions are looming, and I still don't know the right places to set my sights for my MM.

I can put together some of the big name schools easily enough (and have decided that my pipe dream school is Rice), but to be comfortable, I would like to apply to some schools the next tier down, like some other state schools. I'm currently based in the Midwest, but a flight or two would be manageable for me. My current trumpet professor has suggested I look into Ball State, and I think Stephen Campbell is a buddy of his.

Who are some of the good names in smaller/underrated schools like these? I potentially could have a DMA in my future so could have another school later as well.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing my research, I chose to do all my degrees at Peedwater Community College
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend Peedwater. Bob Pixely is a great player and has no doubt turned out some great players, but I've heard he doesn't really care about most of his students. If you don't fit inside a really narrow box and aren't willing to give up any personality to your playing, he'll make you miserable.
Bobby G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Grad school options Reply with quote

Greetings!

A great program with a monster teacher is Frost at the University of Miami. People often forget about us down in the southern tip of America, but the program is very solid, and has lots of money to give. Craig Morris teaches his small and serious studio, coaches chamber music, and has a weekly studio class. He is a monster player (plays all around the world with major orchestras and as a soloist), and gives you a taste of what it takes to make it. He consistently puts kids into New World Symphony, major teaching jobs, brass quintets and orchestras. Check him out online recently performing at NTC with UNT Wind Symphony or on his recent solo recital tour. Both are on YouTube.

Bobby G
liscagle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anderson University is good
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Graduate School Options Reply with quote

My question to the OP would be more frank--why do you feel the need to go to graduate school in music? What do you intend to accomplish with the additional investment?
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
After doing my research, I chose to do all my degrees at Peedwater Community College
We should get together all the "Whizzers" alumni one day. Great school and the price was just right!
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend Peedwater. Bob Pixely is a great player and has no doubt turned out some great players, but I've heard he doesn't really care about most of his students. If you don't fit inside a really narrow box and aren't willing to give up any personality to your playing, he'll make you miserable.
That may be true but he has turned out some great Whizzers!!!
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Graduate school options Reply with quote

Hello all,
Here is a thought. I know of it at least a couple of kids who have done this. Depending on your leaning of classical or commercial or both. Go to a city, get a job and just take lessons for a year. Choose a teacher that does a method/genre that suite you, and learn it well. It could give you a leg up on auditions. Or look into schools that are offering a GTF position. You would have responsibilities with teaching the first years and gain experience in the studio. I was more of a realist. By my third year in school, I knew that I was not going to make a living by just playing music. The competition is even greater now then it was 40 years ago IMO. I know too many mid 20's kids who did not have a plan B, and are now just floating around with no idea where to go.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the date, I wonder what the OP decided (must be about done with undergrad now).

I'm surprised nobody ever mentions U North Texas in these threads given the century-long track record of turning out not just pro players but great teachers, designers and even trumpeters-turned-world-class-conductors.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Graduate school options Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
Here is a thought. I know of it at least a couple of kids who have done this. Depending on your leaning of classical or commercial or both. Go to a city, get a job and just take lessons for a year. Choose a teacher that does a method/genre that suite you, and learn it well. It could give you a leg up on auditions. Or look into schools that are offering a GTF position. You would have responsibilities with teaching the first years and gain experience in the studio. I was more of a realist. By my third year in school, I knew that I was not going to make a living by just playing music. The competition is even greater now then it was 40 years ago IMO. I know too many mid 20's kids who did not have a plan B, and are now just floating around with no idea where to go.
+++100!!!
Tobylou8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Considering the date, I wonder what the OP decided (must be about done with undergrad now).

I'm surprised nobody ever mentions U North Texas in these threads given the century-long track record of turning out not just pro players but great teachers, designers and even trumpeters-turned-world-class-conductors.
Great school too. I knew some "monster" players that went there in the 70's and couldn't make it! Tough competition, but the graduates are top notch!
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned U of Miami. I would second that. I love the way Craig teachers and players, and one of my great life regrets is not spending more time there. I don't typically field public responses like this but it's been on my mind lately and I hope this response helps SOMEONE, somewhere.

I am going to say something mildly controversial and that I myself would not have wanted to hear at your juncture. Ask yourself, what do I want? Then ask, is this school going to help me get what I want? Thea answer to these questions lies in the activities of recent graduates. What are recent alumni doing? Are they winning stuff? Getting gigs you are interested in having? Are they pulling shifts as a barista down the street from the school (nothing wrong with that, just be prepared that it might be you!)? Or are they changing careers in droves (again, nothing inherently wrong with that, but again, it could be you.)? Nothing else about the school matters nearly as much as how the graduates of the trumpet program are doing in the real world.

Another thing to consider. There are a lot of fantastic teachers out there that can show you what you need to know. But I think it behooves you to keep in mind that this industry is full/overflowing with REALLY great players who all work REALLY hard, and unless there is something about you that sets you apart from the top of that bell curve, it's going to come down to word-of-mouth, and how much people like you. I strongly encourage my students to keep in mind the relationship of both the teacher and school to the music community as a whole. It matters-- a lot.

Finally, I would encourage you that NO CHOICE is also a choice. Keep in mind that your tuition includes a lot of stuff you may not care about, like libraries and other academic departments. So unless you need those things for your goals, it might be cheaper to just pay for the lessons a la cart.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasoned post. This comes up with regularity. I would just supplement this by pointing out that going to school takes disparate studies and puts them into one place in one relatively compact time frame. You may not have this kind of consolidation when choosing other paths. It's like Andy said, it's what your goals are and how you want to handle them.

I, personally, wanted more than musical training, rather a multiplicity of subjects to explore so, for a well-rounded education, I chose university studies. Worked out well for me. I've spent my entire adult life as a full-time musician. Somebody will say you can do that on your own and that is true. But how much access and time will you have learning it piecemeal? Your call.

BTW, if I was starting out now, I would probably be relying much more on technology and truly functional, musical products. Trumpet would be incorporated with other musical elements and not, for example, just playing trumpet in pop band horn sections. It's a different world.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
tristanfrank

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on CU Boulder. Ryan Gardner was just hired there as their new full time professor, and Justin Bartels is on faculty as well.
ColoradoOrch

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconding CU Boulder; it's a fun place to live (depending on your interests) and Denver is great too. There are a surprising amount of professional/amateur music options for a city of its size.
scarface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristanfrank wrote:
Keep an eye on CU Boulder. Ryan Gardner was just hired there as their new full time professor, and Justin Bartels is on faculty as well.

I recently watched his masterclass on YouTube. Phenomenal teacher, as are the other choices.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and reread andybharms post over and over. It kind of sounds like you're looking to just be a career student rather than a career trumpeter.

Good recs so far:
UMiami: Craig Morris, 'nuff said.
CU Boulder: Gardner had great success, plus BOULDER

Some solid Midwest suggestions with some money:
- Michigan State U - Justin Emerich - Putting out some success
- Western Michigan U - Bob White and Scott Thornburg - Solid education
- UMKC - Keith Benjamin - Always a solid studio
- Indiana University - John Rommel - I loved that school and my time with him
- DePaul - Various - They had money the times I auditioned, solid location

IMO, your MM should be THE school that is the best for you. Shortest/smallest investment for potentially great return. If that means waiting a year and taking lessons (as K. Peters recommended) then do that. Not only that, but the MM is basically taking lessons with some ensembles thrown in. You don't need school to be pro but you do need to be good/good guy.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

North Texas is the best. I was an MM jazz studies major from 1987-1990, but my minor was in applied trumpet. I had to leave the music business after a car wreck messed up my chops for a few years, but I've remained in the Denton area and have observed that the program is just as strong now as it was then. I was one of a hundred-plus trumpet players in the school and the competition was fierce but friendly. When I went there, having been one of the top dogs in my undergrad (everyone there was first chair where they came from), the first thing they did was rip away everything I thought I knew, and then fed it back to me one corrected piece at a time.

Caleb Hudson of the Canadian Brass just joined the faculty. The future looks good.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
North Texas is the best . . I was one of a hundred-plus trumpet players in the school and the competition was fierce but friendly. When I went there, having been one of the top dogs in my undergrad (everyone there was first chair where they came from), the first thing they did was rip away everything I thought I knew,

LOL. How true. I was All-State everything and when I got to UNT I found myself buried right in the middle.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: