• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Online Lessons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Online Lessons Reply with quote

Thinking about doing some online lessons this summer. Of course these are not to replace my weekly private lessons. I’m just curious how it’d go.

Candidates are:
Adam Rapa
Pops
Jim Manly

If anyone would like to recommend someone to take a one or two session online lesson from, or could share any experiences they have had, that would be great. Thanks!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Jim Manley (though he may be a manly guy). I have seen Jim and he is amazing, but any of those on your list would be great. Why not do one with each and see what "clicks" with you?

Jim teaches a relaxed way of playing and makes picking up a cold horn and blasting from pedals to doubles look ridiculously easy. I'd hate him for it if he wasn't such a nice, giving sort of guy.

Several others on TH also do Skype lessons.
bear30101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of these, I've only done lessons with Jim. (4) I highly recommend him. I felt and heard results within ten minutes of starting the first lesson. My wife heard a big difference in my sound from another room, behind a closed door.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard nothing but good things about everyone on your list.

I have been taking online lessons from Jeff Purtle since January. I am more than happy. His lessons kind of work like a trip to the doctor. He listens and then prescribes exercises like a doctor would prescribe medications. You practice everyday and magic happens. What I like is that his lessons are so well integrated. They come from all of the classic trumpet books and they are very well integrated. You practice all aspects of playing, articulation, tonging, breathing, fingering, flexibility, and range. They are all included in the lessons.

Some of the things he has taught me are difficult to describe in words, but honestly, I was kind of amazed. I mean, it was years ago, but in my younger days I played a lot and thought I was pretty good. Right off, Jeff, not in words, but using exercises and coaching ("make it sound like this" - and then he would play the exercise) and without telling me exactly how to do it in words, he would convey an idea, a technique or a feeling. He would sort of provoke self discovery. As I say, it is kind of difficult to put into words.

I just finished practicing a portion of today's lesson, Clark # 4 etude. I haven't got it down yet, but I am rather amazed at how fluid my playing is now. My fingering is better. I'm actually enjoying double tonging now; it was always such a struggle before and not not at all acceptable. Basically, everything about my playing has improved. Playing is starting to be fun. I have pretty high performance standards, but I am getting to the place where my performances will match my goals.

Having said all of that, prepare to be humbled. He will say, okay play exercise so and so using K tonging. Man, that sure was tough at the beginning. I sounded like a 5th grader just starting out. Humbling. But Jeff was always encouraging and patient. I'm starting to get the hang of it.

If you want to know the best advice I got from TH, it was "why don't you try a few lessons with Jeff?"

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.

Last edited by Grits Burgh on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the story Grits! I’ll add him to the list for sure. Would it be of benefit to just do one or two online lessons with him?
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found his website but I don’t see any “online lessons available” or anything like that. Could I ask, how much does a lesson from him typically cost?
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33,

I started taking lessons by going to Jeff's home for an initial 3 hour session (one of the reasons that I selected him was that he doesn't live that far from me). Personally, I found that very beneficial.

That said, everything about my playing was deficient. There was no fixing my problems in 1, 2 or 3 lessons. I needed a lot of work - still do.

I have no idea where you are or what your goals are so I am not in a position to say what one or two lessons would do for you.

My experience thus far is that lessons are essential. Some folks may just need help with a specific thing and might benefit from one lesson. Most of us simply need a lot of time, practice and coaching. So, while someone might just need a quick fix of a specific technique, most of us require a lot more than that. I have 5 months of lessons under my belt and all aspects of my playing have improved a lot. I'm not ready to quit taking lessons because I'm just now starting to get to the point where it is fun playing. I have a ways to go to sound like [insert name of favorite trumpet player here].

Wam regards,
Grits
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33,

Click the "contact" tab on Jeff's website. Send him an email and ask anything you like, price, recommendations, whatever. You will find him very approachable and honest.

Warm regards,
Grits
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, I've been interested in trumpet lessons too. In some ways the registry would be the ideal place to post this, but it can be hard to figure out and most people don't seem to post prices.

I'm also guessing that big names are mostly 100$+ an hour. I wonder if there are grad students, regional players, etc., that might be a little cheaper on skype or facetime.
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second everything that Grits said above, i recommended Jeff to Grits last year i think and its great to see its worked out so well for him.

I took lessons online with Jeff (i am in Australia) for over 4 years with various breaks in there for travel and other issues and the discipline of the lesson plan and weekly lessons just seems to improve everything over time. The lesson plans are also great for making you think for your self about what you are practicing and what you want to achieve.

Contact Jeff as Grits suggests, he is a thoroughly nice guy, you wont regret it.

Best wishes
EricV
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricV wrote:
i recommended Jeff to Grits last year i think and its great to see its worked out so well for him.

EricV,

Yes you did and as I say, it is the single best piece of advice I received from TH.

Consider this a public thank you.

I pulled out the music for the trumpet solo in Petrushka last night. I could actually play it (yeah, with some mistakes; I was just sight reading it for the first time, but still...). I don't sound like Phil Smith, but I sound a lot better than I did 5 months ago.

Warm regards,
Grits
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I'm also guessing that big names are mostly 100$+ an hour.

I have been taking lessons with Charlie Porter, less than $50 per hour and well worth it - over the course of a year he took my crap playing to "lets get out in public" playing. Watch his Youtubes to see if you like his approach. He sometimes cancels lessons at the last minute, other than that all good.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do on line lessons at $50 per hour.

I was a student of William Adam from 1982 up until his death in 2013 and I teach exclusively his approach to trumpet.

References upon request.

If you want to know more I would suggest you first read through the Bill Adam section of this forum.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Online Lessons Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Thinking about doing some online lessons this summer. Of course these are not to replace my weekly private lessons. I’m just curious how it’d go.

Candidates are:
Adam Rapa
Pops
Jim Manly

If anyone would like to recommend someone to take a one or two session online lesson from, or could share any experiences they have had, that would be great. Thanks!

I had an all day lesson with Pops late last year. An encyclopedia of tpt stuff. Not sure how to compare that to Skype lessons.

I had a Skype lesson with Jim Manley, very recently, and have seen him in clinics. Highly recommend, but, a lot (most?) of Jim's current concepts seem to come from Greg Spence. Jim acknowledges this and is one of the endorsers on Spence's Mystery to Mastery site.

To add to that, I had an extended Skype lesson with Greg about two weeks after the Manley lesson. Some of the same (obviously) and much more.

I love Jim but if you're essentially interested in what's happening from G above Hi C and below (rather than above), I'd definitely book a lesson with Greg Spence.

-Denny

Last edited by Denny Schreffler on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have private lessons from someone in my area and John Mowen works around them. I would highly recommend John Mohan (sorry teach) who is a regular contributor. He was a long time Claude Gordon student. I have been taking lessons with him for about ten months now. At first, I was very reluctant to take lessons through Skype because I do have a trumpet teacher that I am very happy with. However, additional Skype lessons turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. Claude Gordon is known for his “Systematic Approach to Daily Practice” and that is exactly what you get: an extremely well thought out plan for progress. John lays everything out in perfect progression. He is extremely patient, personable and the lessons are always enjoyable. If you need more time to make sure you know how to approach a particular concept to practice in the up coming weeks, he will gladly spend more time with you. You can also contact for further clarification, easily.

His particular approach combines the best practices in motor learning and the physiology of strength and conditioning. If you hit a stumbling block, he will problem-solve with you and chose specific exercises that will help you discover how to overcome them. I had received a first trumpet and was terrified because it was beyond my normal range, he gave me an approach that helped me “nail” it on concert night. I am normally a third/fourth trumpet of the Pete Barbutti variety (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJBggMTZI7w).

As in most diet ads, they say “results” may vary, but if you follow his lesson plans you will be in great hands. When I started, using a tongue arch for slurs and lip flexibilities looked like magic tricks that only others could do. A simple, well-played, musically sounding arpeggio to high C was non-existent. After about six months I could do the same to high F. Slurs and lip flexibilities are now possible between D and E, and I can own a musical phrase with a high C.

I have learned that many of the things people say to do are actually true but you can only discover them through persistence and dedication. Learning to control the tongue was indeed huge stumbling block and I needed a plan on how to get there. You will hear things like “think of certain syllables.” By performing the right progression of exercises, very slowly methodically, never straining, I would have an “ah ha” moment and recognize, oh yes I guess my tongue is actually moving in a way that is consistent with those syllables. The same is true for “whistling”. I could not do it purposefully for the life of me. But, now I can see that is what I am doing. I try to “perform” each exercise, easily, musically with a good sound. Breathing properly and using your air was another frustrating mantra. What do teachers mean when they say this? Well, if you follow this aspect of the lessons and give it proper attention, you will have another “ah ha” moment where you connect air power with tongue arch and you will be in “the zone”.

Best Wishes,
DK

Last edited by Dark Knight on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan?
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
John Mohan?

Yes, "Mohan". my mistake.

DK
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - thank you for the very nice write-up! As for the little mistake with my name, don't worry about it - it just reminds me that I need to be a mowen the lawn today or tomorrow after all the rain we've had lately...
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned the Greg Spence program and I have to second that recommendation. Ive taken lessons from Jim and benefitted and learned quite a lot from him. The Mystery to mastery program takes what Jim teaches and breaks it down quite a bit more. The things Ive learned about a lot of stuff I just did, and why some of it worked and some didn’t have been eye opening. I haven’t run across a thing in the program that hasn’t had positive results once I’ve opened up to them. Not expensive for the years of information and study contained. BUT dont get it unless you are willing to lay down some ingrained habits and views. I also take lessons from a symphony player and he has recently asked me what Ive done to get the bigg sound and I showed him the program. He loves it and is going to take some of the things into his own teaching, a guy who’s been playing at a pro level and teaching for 45 years. He (as I) is amazed at the way the program leads to positive discovery, reinforcement, and understanding. I look to the program to give me freedom to play across the horn with full sound. I look to Dave to give me interpretation, help in reading, and more musical fluency. I’m extremely pleased with this arrangement, Spense seems to give me more freedom to play whatever, and my teacher shows me how to interpret and expand musical knowledge. It seems to work well and is a low cost hi payback option, with a free trial.
Rod
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second the Dark Knight post. I have been taking lessons from John for the last two years. John has been extreeeeemly flexible with regard to scheduling lessons to support my work schedule and has provided me with a number of different suggestions to get my playing in on a daily basis. The bottom line, when I follow the plan he has laid out I show improvement.

You have not stated the goal associated with seeking out the online lessons. If it is improving your fundamentals and learning to apply Claude Gordon's approach to playing the trumpet, John would be a good choice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: