• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Symphonic Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtraLargeBore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:

I got a 1.5C 24/24 to check it out. it sounds great but I find it to be very different from the standard line. The rim and cup shapes are different making the rim feel closer to a 1.25C. I guess the mouthpiece search never truly ends...
[/quote]

A mouthpiece with a large throat and backbore will almost always feel larger than a stock one. The different resistance changes how it feels.
Bb - Bach 37 #0XXX
C - Bach NY 229 25H #1
Eb/D - Schilke E8L #90210
Piccolo - Schilke P51 (custom 1 valve)
MPS - Bach - 1X 19 throat 117 backbore
pghbachCC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Bechs wrote:
Betelgeuse215 wrote:

I got a 1.5C 24/24 to check it out. it sounds great but I find it to be very different from the standard line. The rim and cup shapes are different making the rim feel closer to a 1.25C. I guess the mouthpiece search never truly ends...

Could you elaborate on this, and are there any others that can report on their experiences?

I've always preferred a 1.25C but wish I could play a 1.5C due to the slightly gentler rim contour. Seems to negatively affect my sound though. This Symphonic Series interests me, but before ordering the 1.25 I'm hoping you can provide more details regarding your comments on the 1.5 feeling closer to 1.25

Bump bump bump... Yeah, I can chime in. Rambling time. Here's the mouthpieces I've tried that are all in the same ballpark when it comes to the numbers:

Bach 1 1/2C stock (2015) *main mpc from 2015-2018. I hold onto it for occasional Eb playing. Rather squirrelly at times.

Bach Symphonic 1 1/2C 25/24 (2018) *current main mpc, but this might change. No noticeable intonation issues (!)

Bach Artisan 1 1/2B, 1 1/2C, 3C *the Artisan 3C's a great jazz/pops piece but I didn't like the others. Blank looks nice but is a touch lighter and rim feels less 'secure' due to the different mass distribution. See Trent Austin's site on mass dist'n with rims for more info.

Curry 1.5BC (stock 24/24, Bach blank) (2018) *own, and still experiment with. Great, centered sound and good core, but somewhat inconsistent to play. Maybe it's just me. A powerful piece when I'm doing what I'm supposed to. This actually does wonders on my Bb...

Curry 1.5B stock (2018) Too dull. The Artisan 1 1/2B was marginally better.

Bach 1 1/4C 24/24 custom from Bach (1994-96?) *I have it on an extended trial from a friend. LOVE the sound but it's very different to play. I need to 'set' and blow, and not deviate from that walled garden, but when I'm on it right it sounds absolutely magnificent.

The rim on the Symphonic is most definitely different than the stock 1 1/2C, but I actually liked the new rim better. Cup seemed largely the same, but the entrance to the throat was contoured to match the 25 as opposed to a 27. The Symphonic is in many regards a halfway point between the stock piece and either the Curry BC or the older Bach 1 1/4C (the Curry's deeper with a marginally thicker/flatter rim, whereas the 1 1/4C is wider, more funneled into the throat, and has a thinner rim).

Although I find the Symphonic piece a little too brilliant for my horns (Bach Strad 43* and Chicago C), it resonates well and is a decent middle-of-the-road. My only problems with the mouthpiece are:

1. The shank wobbles pretty badly in my C trumpet—there have been times playing in a rehearsal when it physically clicks into the receiver and becomes significantly more responsive, which is great, except that I have to really jam it in there to get that correct position from the start.
2. While it's less severe than the 1 1/4C I'm currently testing, I find myself trying to lip things up and work too hard on the piece (maybe I'm subconsciously trying to control the brilliance too much..) but when I blow low and forward, things are alright.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1.5C 26/24.
I bought it because I was at the time playing a standard Bach 1.5C with the throat bored out to 26 on my Bb horn,and thought this mouthpiece might be nice for my C. Turned out it was not right, sound felt thin. At the time I thought the mouthpiece felt light in the thinnest part.
I kept trying it, but kept rejecting it.
Fast forward to about 5 months ago. I replaced the standard nylon valve guides in my Schilke with metal ones. After that I found myself looking around for a different mouthpiece and found that this Sympnony gave me a better sound and better level of control than the bored out standard piece. It has now become my go-to mouth piece for my Bb horn. Surprised the heck out of me. Always loved the way the horn played, liked it a little better with the brass valve guides and it plays even better after adding the Symphony mouthpiece.
This is just one point on the graph.
I think you mileage will vary with the horn, configuration, etc. Really worked for me on this extremely free blowing trumpet.
The nice thing about these mouthpieces is being to choose among different configurations. Also, the built quality seems very high.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
markwu071

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Resurrecting an old thread.

I became interested in these pieces when I discovered how much I like the 24 backbore. The problem is, they only come in three cup sizes right now: 1, 1.25, and 1.5. I want a 3C.

They recently came out with 2cs and 3cs in the symphonic line.

Bach 1.5c 22/24
Yamaha 16E4 GP (1.5A) 18/(24?)
Yamaha 14A4a stock
CKB 3C 26/(117?)
BuffaloBill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a Bach 1C with 24 throat and 24 backbore for 50 years. It is a screw rim set made in the Bach factory around 1971. I decided to purchase the equivalent mouthpiece in the Bach Symphonic series. Yes, the rim feels a bit different from my rim, but overall, I would say my articulation sounds cleaner and my sound is a bit more brilliant. Like someone said, every little difference will impact feel. I think these mouthpieces are definitely worth a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: