• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback and cornet information

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1947cornet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Comeback and cornet information Reply with quote

Hi,all. I am totally new to this form of communication, and also am really, really old--80 yrs--so will be easily confused. Any way, trying to comeback after more than 35 years without a note being played. Once owned a Olds Recording trumpet and a Ambassador cornet, both long gone. Have recently acquired a D.E.G.Caravelle cornet, s/n 218289, and am wondering what its age might be, and also: does this horn use the same valves as the Getzen modern cornets? Whatever they are, they seem to be very good. Also, am open to any suggestions to try for my improvement with comeback.
Thank you for any help. The user name, 1947cornet. Yes, that does mean that I first started to play in 1947---there really was a year 1947, so long long ago, in a very very near galaxy. Thanx again.
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH and best wishes for your comeback. Age certainly affects us (I am 65 and began my comeback 7 years ago) but there is still much joy and fulfillment to be had in playing trumpet/cornet. I have no particulars to share with you concerning your DEG cornet. I will suggest, though, that a comeback attempt can be sort of be knocked off the rails by too much focus on gear. If your cornet seems to be working for you, it is probably just fine. One thing that I have done recently, that has really injected vitality into my own trumpet/cornet efforts, is becoming involved in a community band. You may want to check out the the TH forum dedicated to comeback players; there is a lot of good information there.

Jim
1947cornet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
Welcome to TH and best wishes for your comeback. Age certainly affects us (I am 65 and began my comeback 7 years ago) but there is still much joy and fulfillment to be had in playing trumpet/cornet. I have no particulars to share with you concerning your DEG cornet. I will suggest, though, that a comeback attempt can be sort of be knocked off the rails by too much focus on gear. If your cornet seems to be working for you, it is probably just fine. One thing that I have done recently, that has really injected vitality into my own trumpet/cornet efforts, is becoming involved in a community band. You may want to check out the the TH forum dedicated to comeback players; there is a lot of good information there.

Jim
HI,Jim Thanx for the advice about my cornet. It is very nice, I was merely curious about the valves due to the great things I have heard about the Getzen line. There is a community band here, which I plan on contacting as soon as I am able to play reasonably well for more than 5 minutes---I have COPD and Asthma, which leave me short of breath quite easily. Will not give up, though. Thank you for your encouragement. I have reached a point where I do not care about being the greatest cornetist, but just want to enjoy the horn, which I always have done. Thanx again. P.S. had a small difficulty learning how to respond to your post, I am computer DUMB.1947cornet
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you seem to be getting things figured out for TH participation.

My main horn right now is an early 1970s Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet, and the valves are quite nice. But really, the valves on my other three non-Getzen horns are fine too. My abilities will never exceed the performance potential of the valves on any of them.

Hopefully, your respiratory problems will not be exacerbated by playing your cornet. Might a positive therapeutic effect be possible?

Jim
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: comeback and cornet information Reply with quote

Hey, keep it up. At 80 you can still make progress. I bought a trumpet a few months ago and am trying to comeback at 68. Not easy but fun. The rewards outweigh anything. 1947....think that you have played through at least 3 generations of musicians and still have the interest in playing yourself. Bravo
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a medical professional, but your mention of COPD made me think of a friend of mine who suffers from emphysema (described in the video as an extreme form of COPD) and plays the trumpet. I have no idea if this might apply to you and would regret offering false hope, but the I know the trumpet player in these "Patient Stories," and this device has truly helped:

https://www.pulmonx.com/en/ous/patients/patient-stories/
1947cornet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Everyone. Sorry to take so long to respond, am still a little unsure how to do that. Also, I was in another state for the wedding of my beautiful 3rd daughter all last week...Great event.

Am assured that if I use good sense (does anyone know shat that is?) the time spent on the instrument should actually help with the COPD, sort of like exercising does for other muscles. Hope that is true. Anyway, all of you have been encouraging, for which I am grateful....doubt that I will ever regain the skill, I once had, but it is fun. I have always loved both cornet and trumpet, and still do, although as I get older, I seem to prefer a mellow cornet sound, somewhat more lyrical than some other types.

Thanks again for your encouragement.
George
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in a cotton mill in high school and then handled a lot of paper dust for several years. I was diagnosed with COPD, and when I began playing at age 65, I could not actually play a phrase without taking the horn down and breathing. My experience has been that practicing up to an hour or more on a daily basis has nearly eliminated any breathing problems. I can't sustain terribly high notes until an audience applauds like Chris Botti, but I play regularly at church and at home. Several times a year, I have had an opportunity to play in a brass ensemble with professional players, and I hold my own. The biggest factor in making a comeback is patience and attention to exactly how you are making sound and learning or relearning the techniques of playing musically. As soon as possible, begin to play with or around other players, and get the fun factor in your playing. You will progress more quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: