• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Throat Adjustments on Reeves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hudson08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Throat Adjustments on Reeves Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone has experience with opening the bore (throat) on Reeves pieces? I play mostly on a Bach 3C but switch to a 42M when wanting something brighter or for lead playing. I find the blow on the 42 a bit restrictive compared to the 3C and was just wondering if opening the throat would change that? I suppose I could also just "get to know" the 42 a bit more...

Thoughts?
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't necessarily jump straight to that - atleast not without talking to Reeves first.

It could be that it's gapping a bit big (for you/your horn), it might be that a slightly bigger backbore would give you what you want... heck, you might even find the 42C is more than bright enough and gives you a bit less backpressure.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I wouldn't necessarily jump straight to that - atleast not without talking to Reeves first.

+1
Considering that Reeves put different throats on different models, I would think changing the throat would mess up the balance of the mouthpiece. I would definitely call his shop to discuss your issue.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What back bore do you have? That will make a considerable difference.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Throat Adjustments on Reeves Reply with quote

I've been playing Reeves pieces on and off since around 1980 and the ONE thing I learned is whatever throat Bob put on a specific mode LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

I'm not familiar with his "42" Series as it's way too big BUT I am VERY familiar with the "40" Series. A 40M has a #27 throat on it the same as ur Bach 3C. Of course that's where the comparison stops. As others have said I would definitely call the Reeves shop for advice before I ruined a good, expensive mouthpiece!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Hudson08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight everyone. I'll give the guys out in Cali. a call and go from there. Cheers!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't touch it , it have the same bore like your Bach , check the gap and probably it will be ok.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’re probably overblowing! Try using less air and breathing only 50-60% from your belly button... and RELAX!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 42M with stock 2 backbore is NOT AT ALL a bright sounding piece. It is a generous mouthpiece in every aspect. I HIGHLY suspect you are pushing too much air and playing too tense. The piece is not providing adequate resistance for your upper register technique, and your chops and face and body are forced to step in, ruining your facility.

If you really want a piece that aids you in the upper register, you need to downsize considerably. I'd go no larger than a 41 size, and no deeper than the SV cup. The 692S or 692SL backbore is what you want. I found that the 692SL backbore in particular unlocked my double G (but I've since downsized MASSIVELY, to a .590 diameter Best Brass 11E). Most of the guys I know who use Reeves and play lead on it use the 41 or 40 size. Believe me...the 42 is large...too large to play lead on (at least for most people). To say nothing of the 43 or 43.5 sizes...which are HUGE and GARGANTUAN!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the trumpet section in Athens big bang we play Reeves 43 size pieces accept lead guy that he plays 43W , all we use S and ES cups and different bbores (#69,#2,#692s,#692sL) all in the section have a solid #G and some of us much higher, I don't belive that size matters but the way to do it , guys like John Audino,Garry Grand,Jerry Hey, Chuck Findley and many others plays mean lead with 43 size pices.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: