• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

So You Want To Be A Professional Musician...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: So You Want To Be A Professional Musician... Reply with quote

Exactly one year ago today, I retired from my day gig as a high school physics teacher. Those of you who know me know that I never stopped playing, but rather opted into a dual career lifestyle. It was a tough 25 years.

Well, I'm back to full time in my music and I've been totally restarting my career, which puts me in essentially the same position as younger musicians right out of school but with one exception: 38 years of experience. I love taking the out-of-the-box ideas of my more youthful peers and applying them to the things I've experienced for decades.

I wrote a blog about it! Here is the link:

https://www.nickdrozdoff.com/single-post/2018/05/01/So-You-Want-To-Be-A-Professional-Musician-Day-Gig-or-No-Day-Gig

I hope some of you might find something in here to inspire you, maybe, just a little bit.

Thanks for letting me share this with you.

ND
http://www.youtube.com/nickdrozdoff
https://www.facebook.com/nickdrozdoffandthevariabledpostulateensemble
https://soundcloud.com/nick-drozdoff
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing this! Some of the points you made are the same ones I've been thinking about. I am a middle band director, I'll be starting my second year this upcoming fall, but I still want to be involved in the music scene. I put together a brass quintet in order to perform, but on my own terms (on my own schedule). With summer here, I'm looking to create content to build a brand via Youtube & Facebook. This was a great read.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have referred your kitchen sink lab experiment about range vs. air to a number of players far, far better than me, and they all have said, it changed the way they played.

Every one.

The relationship between volume of air and range is sort of mind numbing. None of us want to accept it. However, everyone who possessed a double C before I sent the video, said yeah, they got the same effect, could not believe how little actual volume of air they produced, to generate the note.

And no, I don't have a dubba in my repertoire. However, am only 57 years old,
am a surveyor and not entirely unskilled in the physical arts, so there may be hope for me yet.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
I have referred your kitchen sink lab experiment about range vs. air ...

Could you share where I can find this on the web?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest take-away from this is the point to modernize/contemporize.

It seems to me that once a lot of people past a certain generation continue to compete with the former paradigms. It's a brave new world and, unless you live in a few isolated places or are incredibly lucky, the former ways of doing things just don't work anymore. Or if they do for you, certainly their days are limited.

Much in the former music business has been destroyed. It sucks and for the life of me I don't see how the courts and Congress allow this to continue. And this doesn't even address changes in musical tastes.

Don't throw the baby out with the wash, but let younger generations be your new role models. After all, it is them with whom you're going to have to compete.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like to keep music as a thing I do 'cause I love doing it rather than having to make a living from it. Maybe that's the same thing for some, but I don't think I'd like it.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
plp wrote:
I have referred your kitchen sink lab experiment about range vs. air ...

Could you share where I can find this on the web?

I’m going to hazard a guess he put his bell in a sink full of water while playing high to demonstrate its not about volume, but rather speed. You don’t need that much volume if it is going through a small hole (aperture/tongue arch). It does require compression, and the ability to maintain embouchure integrity under that kind of compression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: