• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calling all vintage Reynolds owners... request for info

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
contempora

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Calling all vintage Reynolds owners... request for info Reply with quote

Fellow Reynolds fans,

I am in the throes of a general revision of the Contempora Corner site (again!), with a special focus on the older F.A. Reynolds horns from the 1930s and 1940s. Really trying to nail down the different model variants (trumpet and cornet) and get those identified. So far, I've ID'd five brass-bell and two sterling-bell trumpet models, and three brass-bell and two sterling-bell cornet models. Just need to figure out where they all fit into the order of things...

So... if you have a F.A. Reynolds trumpet or cornet with a serial number under 30000 (approximately when the Roth-Reynolds name started being used, ~1952), I would love to hear from you regarding your horn specs in the following areas:

[1] Bell size?
[2] Bore size? (if you can measure it)
[3] What materials (brass, nickel silver, sterling silver) are used and where?
[4] Engraving style?
[5] Other cool features, e.g. Bb/A tuning rings, etc.
[6] Serial number (or at least as much as you're comfortable sharing)?

Feel free to post here, PM me or email directly to elshaddai@contemporacorner.com. I *really* appreciate your help in making the site even more accurate for the truly vintage horns.

Best regards,

ElShaddai Edwards
Contempora Corner
http://www.contemporacorner.com
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a serial number list that goes back further than the Lars Kirmser list? I'll list my info a little later tonight, wanted to help keep this near the top for now.
contempora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Do you have a serial number list that goes back further than the Lars Kirmser list? I'll list my info a little later tonight, wanted to help keep this near the top for now.

Please see http://www.contemporacorner.com/serialnos.html for my list and explanation of dates. For a variety of reasons, I believe the Kirmser list is quite inaccurate before 1964.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all vintage Reynolds owners... request for info Reply with quote

Reynolds Trumpet:
[1] Bell size: 4-5/8"
[2] Bore size: my repairman says either .458 or .459
[3] What materials:
Nickel parts: leadpipe (after receiver, before tuning slide ferrule), valve caps (top & bottom), valve stems, finger buttons, water keys, pinky ring and "p" ring / rest is lacquer
[4] Engraving style: standing on its bell, vertical REYNOLDS with F A somewhat arc'ed and sorta straddling the R
[5] Other cool features: None besides a great sound and excellent intonation; upper register really sings
[6] Serial number: 12148

Reynolds Cornet:
[1] Bell size: 4-3/4"
[2] Bore size: haven't had it measured
[3] What materials:
Gold plated parts: valve caps (top & bottom), valve stems, finger buttons, water keys, all the slides (just the part that pulls out), rest is silver plate
[4] Engraving style: standing on its bell, vertical REYNOLDS with F A somewhat arc'ed and sorta straddling the R (same as trumpet)
[5] Other cool features: Great sound and excellent intonation but squirrelly G above high C (Tom Turner thinks it might be the gap or something)
[6] Serial number: 10104

My repairman couldn't find his book that told me that this Reynolds cornet was from 1941. I'd love to know the exact age of both of these horns.
contempora

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
My repairman couldn't find his book that told me that this Reynolds cornet was from 1941. I'd love to know the exact age of both of these horns.

Thanks very much, Rich - that's much appreciated. I don't know if we'll ever be able to get an exact date on the early stuff, but I think it's possible to make some reasonable guesses, which I've tried to outline on the site.

FYI. there were variants of three engraving styles used on the original F.A. Reynolds instruments that can be used to help date horns:

Left: Plain engraving shown here, also deluxe engraving on sterling silver bells. This one appears on serial numbers up to ~9000 (9214 is the latest I have noted), or approximately 1936-1940. Horns with this style seem to be the most desirable for collectors; probably reflect more of Foster Reynolds' hands-on work before the WWII contracts increased production rates. Reynolds allegedly managed to snap one of H.N. White's engravers when he left to form his startup; this style is similar to some of the Silver Tone engravings.

Middle: Deluxe engraving/sterling bell shown here, plain version has just the FA REYNOLDS text and none of the filigree. This style starts at serial number ~9000 (92xx is earliest noted) and continues to ~30000 (1952'ish, start of Roth-Reynolds naming).

Right: Military bell shown here, also used on french horns, background brass, low brass. This style starts at least as early as SN 4000, maybe earlier - I just don't have samples of other brass from that early. This style was dropped ~1949 when the Contempora name was introduced and most "F.A. Reynolds" instruments were rebranded. Trumpets, cornets and tenor trombones were the only instruments that kept both Reynolds (aka Professional) and Contempora model lines.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

contempora wrote:
FYI. there were variants of three engraving styles used on the original F.A. Reynolds instruments that can be used to help date horns:

Man, those are nice! Mine has none of the filigree you pictured. Sure wish I had the money necessary to be a collector!

I was looking at the Reynolds valve trombones on your site; I had no idea that Reynolds had even made the instrument!
contempora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Man, those are nice! Mine has none of the filigree you pictured. Sure wish I had the money necessary to be a collector!

I was looking at the Reynolds valve trombones on your site; I had no idea that Reynolds had even made the instrument!

Your horns look like this one, right? That's the standard, non-filigree version of the middle example above.

Yes to the valve trombones and they're actually supposed to be quite good. Reynolds was one of the few manufacturers making a relatively large bore (.515") valve trombone in the 1960s/1970s. The early ones are much smaller, e.g. .483".
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right: Military bell shown here, also used on french horns, background brass, low brass. This style starts at least as early as SN 4000, maybe earlier - I just don't have samples of other brass from that early. This style was dropped ~1949 when the Contempora name was introduced and most "F.A. Reynolds" instruments were rebranded. Trumpets, cornets and tenor trombones were the only instruments that kept both Reynolds (aka Professional) and Contempora model lines.[/quote]

The Early Reynolds four digit cornet that I reported to you a couple of days ago has this style bell logo engraving, minus the U.S. Would this little horn be equivilant to which later model in quality?

OLDLOU>>
contempora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldlou wrote:
The Early Reynolds four digit cornet that I reported to you a couple of days ago has this style bell logo engraving, minus the U.S. Would this little horn be equivilant to which later model in quality?

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. The cornet you described would seem to come from the same manufacturing timeframe as the military models, and I have precious few examples of those to review (actually *no* military cornet examples - only trumpets). I have photos of a polished brass, not silverplate, cornet with that engraving style, serial no. 197xx - so a few years later than yours, with nickel silver leadpipe, slide tubes and upper valve casings. If you ever get the chance, I'd love to see a photo of your horn to compare.

It's possible that this variant carried forward to become Model 60, but I don't even have any examples of Model 60 (SNs 30000+) to compare it to and the catalogs from the period are black and white drawings that don't show brass vs. nickel silver to compare details(!). Doesn't help that Reynolds reshuffled the deck in the late 1950s when the Hi-Fi models came out and replaced Model 60 in the catalog.

That's one of the goals of this project, to figure out how many variants there were and put some rough dates on them. I can't say yet if they were all made at the same time or if there was an evolutionary progression. I keep wishing for old pre-1950 catalogs to show up and clarify the situation, but for now will just keep on with the comparative work.
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the engraving style I'm looking at. My horn looks a bit better than that one, however, although it looks like mine may have been relacquered at some point. The CO. INC. and CLEVELAND, O. are just a little weak.

My repair guy gave it a serious interior cleaning/acid bath and put new corks and felts, etc., in there. It plays a lot better then when I bought it for $150.00 on eBay, but the valves are just a tiny bit leaky. In spite of that fact, it plays very well. I'm wanting this to be my back-up horn, but I'll have to save up for a valve replate/refit job before it's ready for that challenge.

One thing I've noticed about this trumpet compared to the "matching" cornet is that the 23 valve combinations are better in tune than on the cornet. On the cornet they're a little bit more than just slightly under the pitch, and on the trumpet they've very close to being right in tune.

I also noticed that this has two slides on the third valve slide: one on the end, and the main one. My 1940 Olds Super has this same arrangement.
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Two different slides for third valve. Reply with quote

If the third valve tuning slide ,the outer one, is scored as a place for the slide to be moved to, that usually indicates that the horn was made for a relatively quick change to the key of A. the other slides will usually also have score marks on them as well.

OLDLOU>>
contempora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As way of an update on this project, the Contempora Corner site update went live yesterday with new pages about the original (1936-1946) F.A. Reynolds trumpets and cornets:

F.A. Reynolds Trumpets
F.A. Reynolds Cornets

Still no actual model designations, but I believe I have the different variant timeframes sorted out. I'm still working on some of the special finish options, e.g. silverplate, goldplate, etc., that have been reported and will welcome any model information, including bell sizes, bore sizes, photos, etc. that anyone wants to share.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll dig out that U.S. model and get the specs for you.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all vintage Reynolds owners... request for info Reply with quote

contempora wrote:
Fellow Reynolds fans,

I am in the throes of a general revision of the Contempora Corner site (again!), with a special focus on the older F.A. Reynolds horns from the 1930s and 1940s. Really trying to nail down the different model variants (trumpet and cornet) and get those identified. So far, I've ID'd five brass-bell and two sterling-bell trumpet models, and three brass-bell and two sterling-bell cornet models. Just need to figure out where they all fit into the order of things...

So... if you have a F.A. Reynolds trumpet or cornet with a serial number under 30000 (approximately when the Roth-Reynolds name started being used, ~1952), I would love to hear from you regarding your horn specs in the following areas:

[1] Bell size?4 and 7/8 inches
[2] Bore size? (if you can measure it) at the 2nd slide 455
[3] What materials (brass, nickel silver, sterling silver) are used and where?all silver including valve stems/caps (mop inserts)
[4] Engraving style?fancy w/U S on bottom
[5] Other cool features, e.g. Bb/A tuning rings, etc.tune slide adjuster
[6] Serial number (or at least as much as you're comfortable sharing)?4544

Feel free to post here, PM me or email directly to elshaddai@contemporacorner.com. I *really* appreciate your help in making the site even more accurate for the truly vintage horns.

Best regards,

ElShaddai Edwards
Contempora Corner
http://www.contemporacorner.com

contempora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Calling all vintage Reynolds owners... request for info Reply with quote

ANA MENDEZ wrote:

[1] Bell size?4 and 7/8 inches
[2] Bore size? (if you can measure it) at the 2nd slide 455
[3] What materials (brass, nickel silver, sterling silver) are used and where?all silver including valve stems/caps (mop inserts)
[4] Engraving style?fancy w/U S on bottom
[5] Other cool features, e.g. Bb/A tuning rings, etc.tune slide adjuster
[6] Serial number (or at least as much as you're comfortable sharing)?4544

Thanks very much. You have Roth-Reynolds "Professional" sn32902 as well, right? Both that one and 4544 are already up on the site, but I definitely appreciate the specs and detail.

ElShaddai
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want any more detail on the other one let me know.
I would like to take this oppourtunity to thank you for all the hours of work you do in this area. Guys like you make it so much more enjoyable for the rest of us in the hobby/craft by the many hours you put in organizing all the information so it is easy to research. I'm sure others join me in a big thank you for what may seem to be a thankless job, even if you love it, it's still alot of work!

contempora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANA MENDEZ wrote:
I would like to take this oppourtunity to thank you for all the hours of work you do in this area. Guys like you make it so much more enjoyable for the rest of us in the hobby/craft by the many hours you put in organizing all the information so it is easy to research. I'm sure others join me in a big thank you for what may seem to be a thankless job, even if you love it, it's still alot of work!

Thank you! It does take a lot of time, but with a new job and new baby in the house, it's a way to stay sane late at night <grin>. I love learning about this stuff and building a website has been very constructive for me personally. I very much appreciate everyone's comments and contributions.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll "second" that "Thank You", ElShaddai.

I felt honored that you included my two horns in your archive.

Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
taylordiving

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to also congratulate you on all your fine efforts, El Shaddai, to make the Contempora Corner website into the fine source of information that it is. The best compliment I can give is that it is certainly the Reynolds equivalent of the Conn Loyalist site. Your efforts are greatly appreciated on this side of the world as well and it's allowing me to get up to speed pretty quick in my (never ending) search for vintage trumpets/cornets, Reynolds and otherwise.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to say thank you for what you do and the info you collect and your time! I wish you nothing but the best!!! Again Thank You!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: