• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jupiter 7c vs Bach 7c?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
themeowing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Jupiter 7c vs Bach 7c? Reply with quote

I recently got a new trumpet with a Bach 7C mouthpiece. My previous one used a Jupiter 7C, and I assumed they would be the same size. However, after looking online, the Jupiter has a diameter of 16.45 mm, while the Bach has one of 16.20. Is this accurate and would it matter? Thanks.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not mean they were measured from the same place. Do some blind tests and pick the one that sounds better.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget stated sizes, Bach in particular are famously wayward but many makers measure in slightly different spots anyway.

The key is whether one of the two plays better...
The Jupiter will be a copy of a Bach, but depending on what era it could be rather different from a current Bach 7c - whichever plays best on the new horn, use that one.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different manufacturers measure diameter at different spots down the cup. Due to this, something like a Curry 5, Bach 5, Stork Vacchiano 4, and GR 65 which are all comparable in diameter, have different listed specifications. For this reason, I trust what manufacturers say a size compares to rather than raw comparison charts. Another good to compare is the Kanstul Visualizer, however its selection is limited.

Ultimately, feel is what is most important. I actually have a couple Bach 7Cs and a Jupiter 7C. They seem identical to me so the best solution, as always, is for you to play test them!
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion and personal experience, I find that the only way to tell if a mouthpiece will work for me is by trial and error.

Measurements, specifications, and the experiences of others will not tell me if I can play any particular mouthpiece successfully.

In the absence of specific needs to the contrary, my advice to anyone who asks would be to start with a middle of the road, general purpose mouthpiece in the 3C to 7C range - using Bach labeling as a guide - and then see what happens.

I think measurements and specifications are not helpful at all, except in the most general sense to help determine the generalities of of large, medium, and small.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're questioning a quarter-millimeter? Put the caliper down and go practice.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience rim shape, bite and alpha angle/undercut are as or more important than some arbitrarily chosen ID measurement. But because those are trickier to quantify you really have to go by feel and how the piece responds.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: