• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clary Woodmutes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Clary Woodmutes Reply with quote

I bought one each of Tom Clary’s Straight and Cup Woodmutes at ITG because I liked how they sounded and how easy it was to play in all registers with them.

Saturday night I played in a 20s/30s swing band that called for a whole lot of cup and straight mute and used Tom’s mutes. Not only did they sound great and feel great, many people came up and asked to see those cool-looking wooden mutes which I proudly showed off to them.

The gig went great . . . naturally, I had to play without a mic, and after three sets (probably 75% muted) my chops still felt great at the end, which is rarely the case and I give Tom's mutes most of the credit for making that happen. They are very responsive and don't seem to affect the blowing resistance or my endurance like my old mutes do!

These mutes are a huge hit with me and I will definitely be playing them and urging others to play them. Thanks so much to Tom Clary for cooking up such a great product!

He has them on sale for an introductory offer right now:
https://www.woodmutes.com/

He also has a Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=clary%20woodmutes

These mutes are worth every penny I spent on them! I do a lot of these small group swing-style gigs and feel like I have already gotten my money's worth for how well a potentially disastrous mostly-muted gig went the other night (I was the only horn player).

Tom did not pay me to say any of this, by the way. He doesn't even know I'm posting this. This is all of my own volition.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sure are some beautiful mutes! Sound great on the facebook videos as well. Can I ask you - how much do they weigh? I very much prefer super-light mutes for best response, and I think the mutes look like they might be heavier than I like.

(For reference, I have been using the Soulo cup mute exclusively, the lightest cup mute I've ever played.)

Thanks!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Those sure are some beautiful mutes! Sound great on the facebook videos as well. Can I ask you - how much do they weigh? I very much prefer super-light mutes for best response, and I think the mutes look like they might be heavier than I like.

(For reference, I have been using the Soulo cup mute exclusively, the lightest cup mute I've ever played.)

Thanks!

Actually, they're very light in weight . . . not quite balsa wood light, but pretty darned light. If you get a chance to try one, I think you'll be amazed.

Did you see the clip of Adam Rapa trying one out? Sounded clear as a bell and certainly didn't seem to interfere with his playing ability [understatement].
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's a dramatic understatement to note that the LAST thing I need is another mute... I have quite the collection... I do think I'm going to have to order one of those lovely cup mutes.

ETA: I ordered one, will post a review when it arrives. Chose the brighter of the two cup mutes, as I need something that will project and have some "ping" in the sound.
SAdoc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Clary mutes Reply with quote

I bought one of his cup mutes at ITG. He had a table over by Rich, and I kept looking at them every time I passed through.
The cup part comes off and the center works fine as a straight mute. They sound great and aren’t stuffy at all.
I really like mine.
StricklandMusic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things sound fantastic and look gorgeous!!!
www.gregblackmouthpieces.com
www.eastcoasttrumpets.com
www.vanlaartrumpets.nl
1 (980)-277-8195
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw and heard the vendor demonstrated on his horn. Sounded great but my concern is would it be appropriate in an ensemble setting where straight or cup mute is use or is the timbre to distinct that it is more for solo work (classical or commercial). It is on my wishlist radar but at $150 for the cup combo and i mainly playing in ensembles i wonder when i would actually perform with it.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pair arrive on Friday and they are certainly great sending, free blowing and very very in tune mutes. Actually, I suspect they will become my go to mutes for all my muted playing!

I did a little taste test comparison...

Straight mute. Playing the opening solo from Shostakovich #11 and the soft piano concerto passage.
Clary mute. In tune, easy to play, none of the timbre changes one expects.
A hexagonal wood mute. Pitch is poor, overall flat mostly, and the lower register feels stuffy. It really needs to corks built up a little...
Vacchiano with copper base. Great sound and intonation all the way down to low F. Low E is not nice. Feels a little more resistant than the Clary mute
Copper Tom Crown. This is a sizzling mute and for softer work not all that great, but it is playable, with good intonation and an even song. Just harder work.

With the cup mute, it was just the slow muted section from the Arutunian concerto...
Clary cup mute - half closed. Works great, sounds great, pitch is fine easy to blow.
Soulo cup. Very similar sound and terrific response, a little lighter feel, but just as in tune.
Hexagaonal cup. nice sound, a little harsher and probably carries rather well. The edge in the sound is a little concerning... but good intonation.
Humes and Berg. Sounds like a cup mute, not great high or low, but the sound to measure all others.

Bottom line? These wood mutes are simply excellent. who cares if they are not art of a matched section? The section will need to match a superior sound, either by practice and working at it, or by opening their wallets...

cheers

Andy
OldKing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the straight. 'Very happy. Rich was the best salesman they had at ITG!
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

Bottom line? These wood mutes are simply excellent. who cares if they are not art of a matched section? The section will need to match a superior sound, either by practice and working at it, or by opening their wallets...

cheers

Andy

I would worry not the appearance of the mute but the color in sound. If I am on 2nd trumpet (which is usually sit), I can not expect my trumpet peers to go out and buy one and/or if the conductor to like it or not.

But since you do have these mutes, do you feel they would blend within a section of other more main stream mutes like the Vacchiano or Denis Wick type mutes?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do you feel they would blend within a section of other more main stream mutes like the Vacchiano or Denis Wick type mutes?

I don't have a Clary mute, but I do have wood mutes from Facet, Warburton and Woodstop. I suspect that my response will hold true for Clary mutes as well.

Wood mutes do not precisely match the sound of an aluminum mute, just as an all-copper or brass-bottom mute does not precisely match the sound of an all-aluminum mute. Depending on your choice of wood -- cedar, cherry or walnut, in the case of Clary -- you can get closer or farther from an aluminum mute sound.

I've used my Warburton Woody straight and cup mutes in performances with concert bands, orchestras and quintets when I felt like a wood mute worked well for the sound we were trying to achieve -- with my section mates using metal and/or fiber mutes. I use metal mutes much more often than wood, however, for that same reason (getting the right ensemble sound).

Bottom line: I see wood mutes as an occasional additional tool for section playing, and not as full replacements for metal mutes.

Good luck!
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
do you feel they would blend within a section of other more main stream mutes like the Vacchiano or Denis Wick type mutes?

I don't have a Clary mute, but I do have wood mutes from Facet, Warburton and Woodstop. I suspect that my response will hold true for Clary mutes as well.

Wood mutes do not precisely match the sound of an aluminum mute, just as an all-copper or brass-bottom mute does not precisely match the sound of an all-aluminum mute. Depending on your choice of wood -- cedar, cherry or walnut, in the case of Clary -- you can get closer or farther from an aluminum mute sound.

I've used my Warburton Woody straight and cup mutes in performances with concert bands, orchestras and quintets when I felt like a wood mute worked well for the sound we were trying to achieve -- with my section mates using metal and/or fiber mutes. I use metal mutes much more often than wood, however, for that same reason (getting the right ensemble sound).

Bottom line: I see wood mutes as an occasional additional tool for section playing, and not as full replacements for metal mutes.

Good luck!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
But since you do have these mutes, do you feel they would blend within a section of other more main stream mutes like the Vacchiano or Denis Wick type mutes?

I actually feel that matching mutes is solution looking for the problem. there are enough examples out there of the highest level sections playing different mutes and matching just fine. (Go look, I'm not going to look for you...) It is the player who makes the sound and adjusts their sound, even when a mute is plugged in.

cheers

Andy
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you are getting at but these Clary mutes are very distinct in there sound from a metal straight or cup mute. I can understanding your opinion on maybe a Tom Crown to Vacchiano to Denis Wick straight mute in a section line up but this is a bit more distinct than that. By your statement, why use mutes, just adjust your sound to make it sound like a straight mute without one completely. Or make a straight sound like a cup. It is all about the player making the sound right?

Andy Del wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:

I actually feel that matching mutes is solution looking for the problem. there are enough examples out there of the highest level sections playing different mutes and matching just fine. (Go look, I'm not going to look for you...) It is the player who makes the sound and adjusts their sound, even when a mute is plugged in.

cheers

Andy
Clary Woodmutes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello good people! I really appreciate all the interest in my mutes. I make each one of them by hand and it inspires me to know that someone whom I have probably never met will be playing the mute that is currently spinning on my lathe!

Jazzvuu - I totally understand your point and wanted to relate one of my experiences. At ITG, I heard the TAMUK trumpet ensemble directed by my good friend Kyle Millsap. They played a piece with a cup-muted soli-type section. Kyle was playing one of my mutes and the rest of the section (7 total players I think) was playing an assortment of other fine mutes. The blend was terrific!

As Scott Moore (one of the finest trumpet players I know) said when he tried the straight mute, it plays really easy, in tune, and still sounds like a mute!

I hope that you guys will try them! I'm obviously biased, but I think they are super-easy to play and are really in-tune. My hope is that you will fall in love with their appearance, sound, and ease of playing. I think they're great for both section and solo work.

I'm happy to answer any questions you good trumpet players might have. There are some videos of folks playing the mutes on my website and Facebook page, and I'll be adding more in the future.

http://www.woodmutes.com
https://www.facebook.com/woodmutes

Many, many thanks!

Tom
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the center of the cup mute without the cup worl as a straight mute?
Clary Woodmutes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:

It works great as a straight without the cup section! Ben Strickland at East Coast Trumpets showed me a video of a gentleman playing just the straight section at ITG and it sounded fantastic.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the plunge. Just order the S.G.C. cup mute. I will share it with my trumpet colleagues here in Houston that did not get a chance to go to ITG this year and maybe get you a few more takers. I was impress with it when you demonstrated at your booth.

Clary Woodmutes wrote:
jazzvuu wrote:

It works great as a straight without the cup section! Ben Strickland at East Coast Trumpets showed me a video of a gentleman playing just the straight section at ITG and it sounded fantastic.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the standard mutes to blend with the section when I am doing big band and other standard type of commercial work. I play a lot of small group jazz gigs. Some of these gigs are in restaurants and those types of settings where a mute is required. I usually use my Peter Gane bucket mute - my most favorite mute, and absolutely the best bucket mute I've ever played. When I need a little more volume, I switch to my walnut Facet mute, which I also love. The Facet has a different, louder/richer sound than all the other cup mutes I've played - it is a great jazz solo mute, especially when a standard type of cup is too soft.

Now I see there is an adjustable wood cup mute from these Clary mutes! Very exciting.. That was one thing I wanted my Facet mute to be.. Something about a wood mute has a great jazz solo quality. That's why the old Shastock adjustable cups are sought after. The Shastock is a straight wood mute with an adjustable cup that attaches to it, I think the cup part is a very soft metal.

Now there is a totally adjustable wood cup mute from these Clary cats..will probably get one in a couple of weeks and give feedback after using it in different situations. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Clary Woodmutes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
Took the plunge. Just order the S.G.C. cup mute. I will share it with my trumpet colleagues here in Houston that did not get a chance to go to ITG this year and maybe get you a few more takers. I was impress with it when you demonstrated at your booth.

Thanks jazzvuu! I hope you enjoy the mute!!

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: