• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jens Eb.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Jens Eb. Reply with quote

I like the look and sound of his new Eb. Is it a trumpet or with it's shepherd crook bell a hybrid trumpet/soprano cornet? I know he sometimes plays the soprano cornet part in the Battle Creek Brass Band. I am interested to know if the shepherds crook bell was inspired by its cousin the soprano cornet?

Last edited by trumpet56 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what he told me, its a bit of a hybrid with the warmth of a cornet and the slotting of a trumpet. Sometimes he comments here so maybe he'll join in with some more details.
It's the kind of thing where when you get 2 geniuses like Jens and Bob Malone together and give them a little room to play and then - boom - something happens.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me way too long to realize you weren't asking about the Eb of someone named Jen.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
It took me way too long to realize you weren't asking about the Eb of someone named Jen.

Pesky apostrophy.

So would it be "Jens's Eb" or "Jens' Eb"?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Jen's Eb ? Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
I like the look and sound of his new Eb. Is it a trumpet or with it's shepherd crook bell a hybrid trumpet/soprano cornet?

This is complicated ground... almost all modern trumpets don't fit the traditional definition of a trumpet - they're trumpet/cornet hybrids.

To make this a bit more complicated, most of the modern soprano cornets aren't essentially trumpet-cornet hybrids anyway.

Essentially, this is a very, very gray area to begin with - I suspect you could call his instrument either a Trumpet or a Cornet and back it up with sound arguments, but I don't doubt for a moment that it'll be a good player (he wouldn't be using it otherwise) nor do I doubt that he'll sound great on it.

trumpet56 wrote:
I know he sometimes plays the soprano cornet part in the Battle Creek Brass Band. I am interested to know if the shepherds crook bell was inspired by its cousin the soprano cornet?

Closer to fraternal twin than cousin, I imagine...

Maybe his soprano cornet experience influenced that - some performers like the bell a bit closer to the face, the balance (center of gravity) and feedback will be affected obviously, perhaps there's some inspiration there or perhaps not.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, bear in mind that the actual shepherds crook itself is only part of the equation - if adding it brings the bell closer to the valveblock then the brace placements all change, which could make a fairly major difference.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks and sounds great, I want one!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: