• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can't dump water in ACB flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tivolian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Can't dump water in ACB flugel Reply with quote

Hi folks. Sorry if this seems rather trivial. I have had an Austin Custom Brass doubler's flugel for a couple of months (bought used but in good shape). I cannot manage to clear the water, even with various contortions and using both the blowhard and gravity approaches. There's often the popping sound with open fingering, suggesting that the water's accumulating more in the main pipe than in the valve slides. Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Can't dump water in ACB flugel Reply with quote

Tivolian wrote:
Hi folks. Sorry if this seems rather trivial. I have had an Austin Custom Brass doubler's flugel for a couple of months (bought used but in good shape). I cannot manage to clear the water, even with various contortions and using both the blowhard and gravity approaches. There's often the popping sound with open fingering, suggesting that the water's accumulating more in the main pipe than in the valve slides. Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks.

I can't speak for the ACB model. But I have this same issue on both my flugelhorns (a Getzen 896 and an Olds L-12). I have to pull slides or rotate the horn to get the water out.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this issue pops up with friends or students I go through the following:

*Check that spit valves are clear inside and out - solder or debris can cause issues.
*I watch how they attempt to release water, angle of the instrument. Having the spit valve opening at the bottom of the arch-many don't dip the bell far enough or not at all.
*See how hard they blow. You can blow the water passed the opening and fan it out if you're too aggressive, then, of course, it settles back to a low spot.
*See if the horn is clean. Water will cling to the stuff that grows and builds up inside
Retired Air Force Bandsman
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of spit valves do you have? Amado or lever key? If you have Amado then occasionally taking them apart and cleaning them and the access hole leading to them is part of the deal. It's simpler if you have standard lever keys. With those you just focus on cleaning out the access hole. Pipe cleaner is pretty good for that purpose.

The foregoing doesn't cure problems with gunk building up inside the tubes which eventually clog the access holes. This build up can occur quickly so cleaning the inside of the horn on a regular basis is important.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had horns with which I HAD to physically pull the second valve slide to empty the water. I don't know why, I just know that it drove me crazy for years and somebody suggested doing this. It always worked like a charm.
Tivolian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I ended up solving the problem with a bent paper clip to clean out a bit of gunk from the opening (lever style water key). Seems to have worked.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tivolian wrote:
Thanks everyone. I ended up solving the problem with a bent paper clip to clean out a bit of gunk from the opening (lever style water key). Seems to have worked.

It doesn't take much to clog the hole. In my experience unclogging the hole with a pipe cleaner (or in your case a paper clip) is a very temporary fix because there is always a lot more gunk in the tube waiting to work itself into the hole.

A big problem with flugelhorns is getting a snake through all the relevant tubes. A typical trumpet snake isn't long enough to get through the horn from the point the bell exits the third valve casing to the end of the bell and it also has difficulty getting through the bends in that section of tubing.

I use a trombone snake where I've significantly cut down the brush on one end and I insert it through the bell end but that barely makes it all the way through from the bell to the third valve casing and it tends to be a struggle making it happen.

What are people using that makes this easier while still being effective?
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Treat it like a rotary trumpet. Remove mouthpiece, point instrument away from you. Angle it at 45 degrees to the side so water can get out of the slides and waggle the valves. Water should come out of the mouthpiece receiver.

If you still have stuff trapped try pouring it out of the bell.
If this fails you may have something causing a a surface tension blockage somewhere. Maybe a small obstruction or something.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: