• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpets as carry-on luggage

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tivolian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Trumpets as carry-on luggage Reply with quote

Greetings, folks. I'll be flying to Europe soon and want to bring my pocket trumpet/practice mute to keep my chops alive during the time I'll be away. Can anyone give me the skinny on bringing a trumpet in carry-on luggage? Are there any security problems, or is this no big deal? Thanks.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue I've had was on Ryan Air in Europe... The cattle call/greyhound bus approach to flying. They challenged the size of the bag.

Some of the aircraft have smaller than average overhead storage, but I've always managed to get my trumpet on with me. And with a pocket trumpet, I can't imagine you'll have any problems.

safe travels
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Air Travel with Trumpets Reply with quote

I travel at least once per year with one or two trumpets. Never a problem. I have a Torpedo and a Marcus Bonna double case. Both fit easily into the overhead compartment.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fly with a Walt Johnson roller combo Trumpet, Flugelhorn flight case that fit in the overhead compartment, until one time flying on UNITED from San Diego to Tampa Fl. we had a connecting flight in Chicago. Arriving at Chicago I carried my horns off as they were carry ons, and fit above in the overhead. Then after the layover trying to board in Chicago to Tampa on an exact plane that I had just gotten off of I was told that my case wouldn't fit in the overhead. I told the women behind the desk that it would and besides that's how it got here. She became very authoritative and said it wouldn't and she would walk me down to the plane, and made me hand it off to have it put underneath in the cargo bin. While getting on the plane I noticed that all of the bins were open, and no one had put anything in them, I was really upset when I saw that. I took my seat and we flew to Tampa Fl. When the horns came down the belt, I noticed that the pull handle was broken, so I tried to make a claim, as this was a $600 case. I was told that the handles were not covered. I told the guy that it intended it to be carried on, and not put below, as I was forced to do so. I was told nothing could be done to cover the cost of a repair or replacement. I told the rep. that United could kiss my behind, and that I would never fly the unfriendly skies of United again. I now use a Protec Roller Case aka the Mike Vax Case, and have had no issues. Oh and I do not fly United Airlines. I would think you should be fine.
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994

Last edited by Flip Oakes on Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes wrote:
When the horns came down the belt, I noticed that the pull handle was broken, so I tried to make a claim, as this was a $600 case. I was told that the handles were not covered. I told the guy that it intended it to be carried on, and not put below, as I was forced to do so. I was told nothing could be done to cover the cost of a repair or replacement. I told the rep. that United could kiss my behind, and that I would never fly the unfriendly skies of United again. I now use a Protec Roller Case aka the Mike Vax Case, and have had no issues. Oh and I do not fly United Airlines. I would think you should be fine.

I assume you've seen the "United Breaks Guitars" video on Youtube.

Your story is infuriating. How can you rationally argue with "I was just on that plane and it fits" Wonder if there was something going on that they weren't being forthcoming about.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Tivolian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the replies. To Flip Oakes—if your trumpet had been a dog, United would have killed it. But seriously, sounds like a very frustrating experience. I’m flying Aer Lingus so maybe all will be fine. By the way, I’ve never tried one of your horns but have my eye on a used early C trumpet by your company.
Tivolian
CartersPop

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just flew a two commuter jet leg of flights back from my father's memorial service a few weeks ago at which I recieved his vintage (but immaculate) 1922 Conn Victor cornet. I put a couple paper luggage tags on the handle and another one in the case with the horn, all with my contact info, then carried it on and placed in the overhead without a single problem. One attendant was curious about what was in the bedraggled and scarred up case but smiled a mile wide when I showed her and explained its importance to me (and my son, for whom the horn was intended). It was never an issue for me, thank goodness.

Good luck.
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have flown 3 times with my horns. So far, no problems. I've always had room in the overhead. One of my cases is a Torpedo Classic (Round) and the other is an old Getzen hard case - rather beat-up from the 70's. Security checkers have never wanted to further inspect the horn or case contents other than the normal xray. And they handled my older case very carefully. However, that's not to say that you won't get some knucklehead TSA person who wants to get the horn out and probe it. ??

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I travel with my pocket trumpet, I just put in my suitcase. It's never been damaged and I've never had to check it.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flown to Mexico six times for Missions trips with my GIG Bag (don't think they are made anymore), and once with a small Protec double case (needed my C Trumpet for that trip), had no issues. I fortunately never had to get on a Commuter aircraft...they have smaller luggage bins. Going through Customs with the two trumpets was a far bigger issue than carrying them on the plane...but all worked out fine in the end.

For my Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet, I got a small Pocket Trumpet Gig Bag from Doug Teeter that would fit nicely under the seat if needed. The practice mute could go in your regular carry-on.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why mess with a pocket trumpet when you can pack the real deal? Just roll up your clothes around it (use the trumpet as a "spindle" and the clothes as the "string") and stuff something protective in the bell like a mute, then either check the bag or put in overhead. Many trips later and not a single dent. It also takes up almost no space as the clothes compact better rolled up (an old backpack packing trick).

I started with a $50 beater Yamaha but recently upgraded to a better travel trumpet, a $500 Selmer Radial. My main horn stays home, there is clearly a bit of a risk involved.

I'm not doing gigs, just practicing. Obviously for gigs you'd need a real case.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to France last year, I brought a beater horn in a Torpedo Outlaw Loredo case. I had no issues either with international flight (Air France) or flights within France (some cheapo airline).
DrKristensen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always wise to check the exact dimensions of the airline you will be using, especially when travelling with anything but an inexpensive horn (well, even then).

Especially the low-cost carriers can be tricky. Also please be aware that the reference dimensions in Europe are generally in cm (not inches) - most trumpet cases are 56cm or longer, whereas most carry-on limitations are 55cm. Some original cases (such as the UMI King Silver Flair) will fit, but few aftermarket cases are actually less than 55cm. The very compact Yamaha double is, for instance, 55cm, but without feet & handle. The Jakob Winter Eastman single fibreglass case is 54cm, and (I believe) one of few aftermarket cases that will pass strict Ryanair requirements, if you face the wrong staff member.

You find some good recommendations here: https://torpedobags.com/customer-comfort/flight-recommendations/
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can also be helpful to not just look up the airline's dimensions, but their policy on instruments - some have policies allowing larger instruments to be carry-on as long as they fit in the overhead. Printing a copy of the policy is always a safe bet, as the people at the gate may not be familiar with any special policies regarding instruments.

I've never had any issues flying with trumpets as a carry-on, just make sure if you have any large bottles of valve oil that they're not too many ounces.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone used one of these, a Winter trumpet case?
https://www.wwbw.com/J-Winter-CE-170-JW-Eastman-Series-Shaped-Fiberglass-Trumpet-Case-H75535.wwbw?rNtt=winter%20trumpet%20case&index=2

BTW, I have traveled over most of the U.S. and Europe with a tenor sax and never had a problem. I always looked and carried myself like a professional. I believe attitude may help.

I never got challenged and, at the same time as being allowed my tenor as carry-on, watching guitar players getting their guitars confiscated at the last moment.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Bobby G

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Carrying on horns Reply with quote

I have to agree with most of the above posts: with the right case, it's not hard. I love the stomvi quad case. Fits like a glove in any planes overheard. The torpedo bag is also a safe bet as it fits and is safe to check in an emergency.

Bobby G
jazztrumpetbill
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just travel with a soft gig bag and put it under my seat. That way if the overheads are full I still know where my horn is..

Bb Burbank Benge L
Bb Schilke B1
Olds Silverstar Flugel
King Silvertone Cornet
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make the carry on as small as possible. You try to be inconspicuous. You smile and walk quietly and quickly (get staff can't be a$$ed chasing you). And above all, if you have a lot of gear and or big cases, just buy a seat for them...

I did this a couple of years ago flying with 6 trumpets. one quad and a Vax double. I purchased two tickets, and not a single person queried my earring a monster sized case on wheels onto the plane! (They did upgrade it to business class for one leg so it didn't block people's movements).

I've had triple gig bags stopped and a demand to check it made, so I stood my ground and asked repeatedly for their manager to attend as I was not going to move until I spoke to their superio r and explained the situation to them. Works a charm, every time they give up and go off to bug someone else.

Taking fragile and expensive diving gear onboard used to be fun as well. Especially when one security type decided they could get all snarky in Brisbane. (the mecca of asinine security types) Looked bad until a uniformed pilot rescued me with a promise to get the gate people to make me check it into the hold...

A few steps away he commented they are all a****les and he always helped people out if he could... and have a great flight!

cheers

Andy
USCGRick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the question on the Winter case. I ordered one as I thought I could fit two horns in a compact case for travel. The case is nicely made with a beautiful finish. The problem was the case is so compact I couldn’t fit my horns in it and close the lid. I think if you have smaller type horns you’d be fine. I have 5.5 inch bells on my horns and no way would they fit.
So I have a torpedo case but I don’t trust the soft cover that goes over the bell. I’ve seen bent bells with this case. One shove in the overhead or through the x-ray machine and you’re done.
Bite the bullet and get a rawbrass pelican case. No worries as it fits in the overhead on regular aircraft. Smaller planes probably not but it does meet the size requirements they advertise. Not that I’d check my case but if you had to this case can handle it if no option is available.

Harrelson Bb VPS Summit One
Harrelson C VPS Summit
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rick.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: