• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece Length

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aardvark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece Length Reply with quote

I have an older Jettone Al Hirt Model A.....I purchased off the"bay" for a very small price.(this was over a year ago). When I got it, I noticed the overall length was about .400"...(or a little more than 3/8" ) shorter than all my other jettones....also the shank had been turned down to a smaller diameter, perhaps to adjust mouthpiece gap......everything I've read says once you cut off that much, the piece is ruined. Exactly what is ruined ?...I'm just a recreational player, but I do play everyday and this piece plays quite well,especially over high C and the 4 or 5 notes over hi C that I play.Maybe my ear isn't trained enough to noticed the difference......any comments are welcome.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you got a cornet mouthpiece?
aardvark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Perhaps you got a cornet mouthpiece?
No, it's a trumpet piece, tried it in my cornets....thanx
ohnecael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it plays well then it plays well I guess. Is it causing you any issues? all the articles ive read on the physics of the mouthpiece never really discuss the length of the mouthpiece being a massive problem to the function of it.
aardvark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
If it plays well then it plays well I guess. Is it causing you any issues? all the articles ive read on the physics of the mouthpiece never really discuss the length of the mouthpiece being a massive problem to the function of it.
No issues,as I say it plays well and was actually looking for the "Al Hirt" model "B" when I picked up this"A" model. Just that the "A" rim is a little flatter than the "B".....both very comfortable for me tho.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A shorter mouthpiece usually gives a quicker more secure response. Some of the mouthpieces that are shorter are Monettes, Stork Studio Master, Reeves 692s for example.

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: