• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thanks to caruso and this forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks to caruso and this forum Reply with quote

Hi all.
For three months now I have been reading this carmine caruso forum, messages from 12 or 14 years ago.
I have also been following the caruso plan for 3 months, I am in week 5 I think.
I find it incredible how all those explanations helped me. I just wanted to thank you all.
I am far from following the 4 rules at 100%, but I try.
The Caruso method has put me on the road, I came from a conscious and analytical change of mouth and every day I took a step back. Now everything feels different.
In short, I am happy to have found the way with the caruso method, and I wanted to share it with you, and thank you, especially PH and bugleboy
Excuse my English, it's not my language.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic!!!
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. I also have tried some of the Caruso concepts in the last couple of years with positive effects. Have you seen Julie Landsman's Caruso videos on YouTube? I have found that they have helped me understand Caruso much better than I have previously.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChP3VdK87BBDvQvlXUulmNg/videos

Felicidades También he probado algunos de los conceptos de Caruso en los últimos años con efectos positivos. ¿Has visto los videos de Julie Landsman sobre Caruso en YouTube? Descubrí que me han ayudado a entender a Caruso mucho mejor que antes.
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have seen some videos, although not the complete series.
I've also seen a master class by Pat Harbison on YouTube.
They are excellent works, I am surprised by the few visualizations they have.
There is a great ignorance about the teaching of Carmine Caruso.
I have had 3 teachers who have made me do some Caruso exercises, but none of them told me about the foot, the subdivision or the balance.
I always thought it was a method for strong trumpet players who aspire to have even stronger mouthpieces.
Now I understand that it is something else. It is liberating to think that the body finds its own balance, just for the amount of things that you can stop worrying about, it's worth it. And the best, of course, is that it works!

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to second that sentiment. There's a lot of nonsense on TH, but this forum definitely helped me make sense of a pedagogy that I would have otherwise written off as overly lip and muscle focused. Instead, it's something entirely different and completely brilliant. Once I started to wrap my mind around the approach, I became aware of how many playing problems are caused by simple timing and coordination issues.

Just now in thinking about this, I remembered how Ray Crisara used to make me tap my foot in my lessons. He would tell me that the foot-tapping was a window into how I was thinking. His pedagogy was very different than Caruso, but he recognized this fundamental issue that tends to go ignored in brass playing. To be able to work through the timing and coordination of every playing challenge you might run across, as Caruso's approach does, is brilliant and somewhat mind-bending.

Just a few weeks ago I gave the 6 notes and the 2nds to a young woodwind player. He had been struggling with a frustrating playing problem. The problem showed up most when his time was bad. I taught him the rules and told him to let the body figure out how to coordinate all of the muscles within the constraints of the rules. Two weeks later he's reporting that his playing problem is almost entirely gone. The stuff is magic. You could probably make a good living applying the techniques to various sports and teaching professional athletes how to shoot/throw/catch better.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many do not get it while others are amazed and wonder why not.

In my 14 years of teaching college students a very basic Caruso routine, many rejected it. But those who got it became professional trumpet players.

Giving yourself up to something without over thinking takes a lot of faith.

Caruso teaches us( the brain and muscles) to play from one note to another.

That is music as its' primal level!!!

Cheers,

Gordon Stump

Last edited by gstump on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
So many do not get it and while others are amazed and wonder why not.

In my 14 years of teaching college students a very basic Caruso routine, many rejected it. But those who got it became professional trumpet players.

Giving yourself up to something without over thinking takes a lot of faith.

Caruso teaches us( the brain and muscles) to play from one note to another.

That is music as its' primal level!!!

Cheers,

Gordon Stump

Makes sense to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: