• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Comeback trumpeter, continue trombone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perigalacticon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Comeback trumpeter, continue trombone? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have played trumpet as amateur on and off for a long time. Most recently I was off for the last 8 years, but was picking up trombone the last few. Now picking up trumpet again, I would like to play bugle calls on July 4th. I stopped playing trombone fairly hard because at first I was a disaster on the trumpet (actually a bugle) and didn't think playing the trombone had done much good for it. What do you think about continuing to play the trombone in this situation? I was thinking warmup and warm down but was interested in the community's experience with playing both instruments?

Sorry just saw the comeback player group, could someone move this to it?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t really think you need to move this post, it’s also a fundamentals type question.

While generally I don’t think playing trombone is detrimental to playing trumpet, if you’re coming back from a layoff, you might consider putting the practice time in on just trumpet for now. And.....here it comes....private lessons; if you were a “disaster” on trumpet before, a qualified teacher can be very valuable. That, and PRACTICE. The thing is, you need to know what and how to practice, a teacher can direct you in that.

Brad
perigalacticon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was referring to the first time playing trumpet again after 8 years off as the 'disaster'. After about a week of regular playing I have recovered a huge amount. I was really worried it would be worse. Before my 8 years off I had progressed to the level of performing the Haydn Eb concerto 1st movement and others at a local community college. I had completely put it away, concerned with interference with other things in life. I had been taking regular lessons as well. Right now I only have a simple G bugle and trying to recover for some local 4th of July flag ceremonies. I decided to play the trombone very minimally, only a few light notes on it every day to keep the idea of it in my head. I think it's good. It's interesting to feel the difference between the embouchures, I think it has helped me feel and understand how they work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: