• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did Maurice Andre ever talk about Doc, Maynard, etc?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Did Maurice Andre ever talk about Doc, Maynard, etc? Reply with quote

Did he ever express admiration, critique, whatever re: well known pop, commercial or jazz players?

I know he played at least one Maynard chart "Hot Canary". I wonder if it was mostly to demonstrate that he could.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heard that both he and Bud Herseth had a very "healthy" respect for Maynard. There should be "souls" on TH that studied with him that could give first-hand accounts.

(Sorry, we're finishing up a two-week run of "Guys & Dolls," so I had to use the word "souls" in a sentence!)
Tenor Horn Fellow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I had heard that both he and Bud Herseth had a very "healthy" respect for Maynard. There should be "souls" on TH that studied with him that could give first-hand accounts.

(Sorry, we're finishing up a two-week run of "Guys & Dolls," so I had to use the word "souls" in a sentence!)

Is that the "Guys and Dolls" in Dallas with the radio talk show host Mike Gallagher in a role?
I love that guy. Tell him I said so.

Mark

1934 H.N. White Circular Alto Horn - Silver - mint
1961 Conn 9A Cornet - Coprion - mint

m'pieces:
White Horn #8
Wick Cornet #2

photos and audio:
https://tenorhornfellow.imgur.com/
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre and Gillespie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hznoHmQiX4Y
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
Andre and Gillespie:

This is amazing!! Beautiful!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
boog wrote:
Andre and Gillespie:

This is amazing!! Beautiful!

Yes, and it's so cool to see André pull up the bell on his C trumpet impromptu to make it an upturned bell like Gillespie's!
PacoTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a reputable source, while giving a masterclass in the late 1960s, André was asked, "Who is the greatest trumpet player of all time?" André immediately responded, "Louis Armstrong, of course!"
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PacoTheTrumpeter wrote:
According to a reputable source, while giving a masterclass in the late 1960s, André was asked, "Who is the greatest trumpet player of all time?" André immediately responded, "Louis Armstrong, of course!"

I can believe it.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenor Horn Fellow wrote:
dstpt wrote:

Is that the "Guys and Dolls" in Dallas with the radio talk show host Mike Gallagher in a role?
I love that guy. Tell him I said so.

Mark

Ditto!

And enjoy the rest of the run.

To the OP: Maurice Andre was a good friend of a good friend of mine (Larry Elam), and though it is heresay, I can confirm that Andre thought the world of Maynard, Doc and the rest of his contemporary well-known players.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Maurice and Doc Reply with quote

An opposite take on whether Maurice admired Doc (I'm sure he did) is when I played Maurice's recording of "The Hot Canary" for Doc and had the transcription with me to show him. Doc says in complete confidence that Maurice had used not only the Bb but smaller trumpets as well when he recorded it. It sure sounded like all Bb to me.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Maurice and Doc Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
An opposite take on whether Maurice admired Doc (I'm sure he did) is when I played Maurice's recording of "The Hot Canary" for Doc and had the transcription with me to show him. Doc says in complete confidence that Maurice had used not only the Bb but smaller trumpets as well when he recorded it. It sure sounded like all Bb to me.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Yup, it seemed to me as well that it was done on different horns. Still a cool recording, better than I could do no matter which horns I had at my disposal.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: did maurice andre ever talk about Maynard, doc, etc? Reply with quote

I have had extreme admiration for Mr. Andre since I heard that initially when he went to the Paris Conservatory his teacher used to beat him about the head and shoulders. I played college football, but as a musician that might have discouraged me alot. all of his recordings and videos on youtube are good for any young musician to watch and emulate. I am sure he admired all the jazz greats here and in Europe. Maurice, in his own way was the boss, though.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Maurice live in NYC back around 84-85. He performed at the 92nd St. YMHA with their orchestra. Gerard Scwartz was the conductor. I've never heard anything like what I heard that afternoon. The purest sound you could ever imagine.
He was standing in the lobby afterward and no one noticed him. He graciously autographed my program. He didn't speak English very well so we didn't have a real conversation. Funny how I can remember the fact that he was wearing a cowboy bolo tie! Some days I can't remember what I ate for lunch!!!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Maurice and Doc Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

I'm sure Andre used his pic in Bb for parts of Le Canari, and I know he used higher trumpets on the album that song was released on because the (vinyl) LP version's jacket has a photo of Maurice playing during one of the photo sessions and though it is not a piccolo trumpet in the picture, it looks to be either an Eb or D trumpet. And there are a number of other songs on the album where he is obviously performing on pic.

I have the CD version of that album (Trompette Hors-Série) and it's great - I'm listening to it right now. 19 songs on it including great arrangements of Sabre Dance and Flight of the Bumblebee.

pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 70's, I heard Andre play at Town Hall. During the Q & A session after the recital, someone asked him about jazz players. He pointed to Clark Terry sitting in front of me, picked up his Bb, and did a pretty good interpretation of Clark's doodle tonguing. It was a fun moment.

Alan
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In casual conversations with brass players, my standard answer to "who is your favorite trumpet player?" has been Maurice Andre.

When he played, the heavens opened up, the angels paused, and they listened...

An excellent player to model your sound after. I was truly saddened to hear of his death a few years back. Never got to hear him in person.

Tone modeling from a "Jazz" player? Not a lot of difference in the type of tone I prefer among Jazz or "Legit" players. Marvin Stamm comes to mind.

How about Malcolm McNab? Another one to model your tone after.

I know, this is not exactly the gist of this thread, but since Mr. Andre was the original topic, my .02 worth.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: did maurice andre ever talk about Maynard, doc, etc? Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I heard that initially when he went to the Paris Conservatory his teacher used to beat him about the head and shoulders.

I've heard variations on that, I would wager the story is somewhat embellished.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathedral, Pipe organ and Andre. St. Paul's shown, but actually recorded in Strasbourg.

Second half of it - 'just like' hearing him in a concert hall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRrss4kBi2M

Link
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For millenials or guys less familiar with..the headphone jack is the best option.
vandenplass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an interview, his idol was Adolf Scherbaum. He had great pleasure playing with John Wilbraham .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: