• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Grateful for Cornets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Grateful for Cornets Reply with quote

I am grateful for my humble Holton cornets right now. I’ve done comething to my shoulders recently that makes playing my trumpets uncomfortable when standing and playing. The cornets have just enough reduced distance from the business end of the mouthpiece to the valve block to make playing comfortable. Looks like the Holton Galaxy will be my companion tomorrow night at rehearsal.

Jim
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. I got into cornet playing some years ago and fell in love
Tenor Horn Fellow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Grateful for Cornets Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
I am grateful for my humble Holton cornets right now. I’ve done comething to my shoulders recently that makes playing my trumpets uncomfortable when standing and playing. The cornets have just enough reduced distance from the business end of the mouthpiece to the valve block to make playing comfortable. Looks like the Holton Galaxy will be my companion tomorrow night at rehearsal.

Jim

Severe arthritis forced me to do the same thing many years ago.

But then I loved cornets so much that I never looked back.

Welcome to the cornet club.

Soon to come:

www.Cornet.Herald.com

Mark

1934 H.N. White Circular Alto Horn - Silver - mint
1961 Conn 9A Cornet - Coprion - mint

m'pieces:
White Horn #8
Wick Cornet #2

photos and audio:
https://tenorhornfellow.imgur.com/
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my eyesight has deteriorated, I have come to prefer cornets for playing in settings where I have to sight read well. I can sit closer to the music! I am not being facetious when I say this! Several years ago, I lost most of the useful vision in my left eye, and eyestrain is a real problem now.

Other advantages include smaller cases. I have a couple of leather cornet gig bags that are a breeze to carry. A real advantage when I have to take a large briefcase full of scores to rehearsal!

Dealing with years of Bursitis in my shoulders from both directing and playing makes the cornet an attractive alternative in a long rehearsal.

And besides that, they sound sooooo mellow! Cornets have become my preferred horns for jazz improvisation, especially when using Harmons or plungers. Plug in a Denis Wick MP, and you can croon with the best of 'em! Even surpasses my previous favorite, the Flugel.

Now if I could just convince some of my fellow trumpeters around here to invest in a cornet! A real cornet section would be a MAJOR enhancement to the sound of our local community concert band. I'm working on this.

Besides, most amateur trumpet players I come across play loud(er) than necessary. Need I say more?
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the posts, guys. The Holton Galaxy cornet worked well for me last night. No discomfort in my upper arms and shoulders for the entire 90 minute rehearsal. Mute use was easier and faster too - our next concert includes numbers which require nearly impossibly rapid mute use. Another number has us using our left hands over our bells, also easier with the cornet. I was a little concerned about blending adequately with my section (guys on my right and left play trumpets), but this did not seem to be an issue. I plan on sticking with the cornet for a while, at least through the next concert or two...

The length advantages of cornets and their cases was obvious last night. I used my original hard case for the Galaxy, which fit neatly beneath my chair. Next week I'll probably use my Tuxedo gig bag and a separate bag for mutes and music, which will also fit beneath my chair. The hard case does not have room for me to take my K&M stand stowed in the bell. I missed the stand last night.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: