• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet players deserving of wider recognition

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john4860

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Trumpet players deserving of wider recognition Reply with quote

I’ve been a lurker here at TH for a couple of years and I haven’t heard much about the following players:

Paolo Fresu his album Chiaroscuro with Ralph Towner is a thing of beauty. Trumpet/Flugelhorn with Classical Guitar. The things he has done with Cuban pianist Omar Sosa are very beautiful. Check out their NPR Tiny Desk concert on YouTube.

Ibrahim Maloof is based in Paris and plays with a few different groups. He’s capable of a tremendous range of feeling from very quiet beautiful songs to exuberant bravura trumpet playing. Check out his album Illusions for some really awesome bravura trumpet playing and check him out on YouTube for some very tender playing.

Nils Petter Molvaer
Solid Ether and his YouTube concerts with Eivind Aarset (guitar and electronics). Albums Khmer and American Compilation and a YouTube video from Lodz, Poland 2007-09-07. This is worth checking out just to see the inside of this concert hall/church.

Brian Lynch
His albums with Eddie Palmieri are all stunning. Palmas and Simpatico are really awesome examples of latin jazz trumpet playing. His album with the Afro Cuban Jazz Orchestra called Bolero Nights has some absolutely beautiful ballad playing on it. He demonstrates incredible control of emotion and feelings on this album which is Billie Holiday songs transcribed for trumpet.

Brandon Ridenour
I saw Brandon at the ITG Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan a few years ago. Really beautiful, seemingly effortless trumpet playing.
He’s doing some really nice things mixing Classical and Jazz and Indie-rock lately.

Jonathan Powell and Nu Sanga the name of the CD is Transcend
This is a blend of trumpet playing mixed with futuristic afro Cuban things, jazz, prog rock etc…this is an incredible album (in my opinion,,, your results may vary). He plays in the high register seemingly effortlessly.
PacoTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there - I agree that a lot of these players are undersung heroes of our instrument. Of all of them, I think Jonathan Powell is easily the most underappreciated. His upper register is certainly enviable, but I am astonished by his consistently beautiful basic sound quality and what he is able to do with it expressively, especially on his own challenging and memorable compositions. It is no exaggeration to state that I've listened to his Nu Sangha recording "Beacons of Light" at least 200 times now, and I have not tired of it at all. There are almost no living jazz trumpet players whose work I can say that about. I think there is a connection between all the players you mention - none of them is likely to be mistaken for someone else.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give a shout out for:

Billy Hardman
Carmell Jones
Benny Bailey
Ack van Rooyen
Kenny Wheeler
Enrico Rava
Tomasz Stanko
Jimmy Owens

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the realm of musicians and trumpet players, pretty much all of them. To whatever extent they may have been in the public eye at one time, the most "famous" trumpet players you can think of are unknown to most people.

A name that comes to mind is Don Goldie. I've been told that supposedly he had some personality issues that undermined his career.

Link

I was blown away when I first heard this track featuring Rick Braun doing a musical dance with a violin. I'd never heard of him before.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Dr. Manhattan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Trumpet players deserving of wider recognition Reply with quote

Kenny Dorham and Blue Mitchell both were underrated musicians.
Both are worth listening to.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swana and Gisbert.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
PacoTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last twenty years, in concerts, private lessons, masterclasses, and conversations, I've heard scores of claims that Kenny Dorham is an under-recognized player. He is so famous for his alleged obscurity that I think he might almost be over-recognized. (Obviously this is within the music world; most people don't even know who Louis Armstrong or Dizzy Gillespie are, these days.)

Another player whose name I think should be on everyone's tongue, and yet is somehow not, is Richard Carson Steuart. As far as "classical" trumpet players go, I can think of no one whose virtuosity is so consistently in service of his expressivity and creativity, both on record and in live performance. He is fearless and spectacular, and a real breath of fresh air in an idiom that all too often involves trying to sound like a flawless studio recording and not a unique human artist.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PacoTheTrumpeter wrote:
Hi there - I agree that a lot of these players are undersung heroes of our instrument. Of all of them, I think Jonathan Powell is easily the most underappreciated. His upper register is certainly enviable, but I am astonished by his consistently beautiful basic sound quality and what he is able to do with it expressively, especially on his own challenging and memorable compositions. It is no exaggeration to state that I've listened to his Nu Sangha recording "Beacons of Light" at least 200 times now, and I have not tired of it at all. There are almost no living jazz trumpet players whose work I can say that about. I think there is a connection between all the players you mention - none of them is likely to be mistaken for someone else.

Wow - I'd never heard Jonathan Powell before, but checked out some of his playing on youtube. He's something else - thanks for sharing!
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I'll give a shout out for:

Billy Hardman
Carmell Jones
Benny Bailey
Ack van Rooyen
Kenny Wheeler
Enrico Rava
Tomasz Stanko
Jimmy Owens

Let's add Danny Stiles to this list. A tragic figure in modern jazz...
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren Vache is just an absolute monster player. One other name that comes to mind is Andy Gravish. I was at Berklee the same years Andy was there. I didn't really know him very well. We both had our lesson the same time one semester. I was studying with Ray Kotwica and Andy was studying with Jeff Stout. We would sit outside and talk a bit while we were waiting. He was also a very nice guy.
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Underrated... Reply with quote

Charles Tolliver
Richard Williams
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan Kisor (2012 recordings from Japan are very good)
Greg Gisbert
Jason Carder
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Dizack is one of the young incredible trumpet players who is so much underrated and unknown. His last album Single Soul is totally awesome. A great virtuoso.

Link

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Ryan Kisor plays "Donna Lee" ...
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Jason Carder on Flugelhorn with YANNI.
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One name that I haven’t seen on this list and believe should be included, that we think of in a different context (Trumpet Sales) is Trent Austin. On line you see him in the context of demonstrating horns and mouthpieces, but if you have listened to his CD’s , he can really cook.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PacoTheTrumpeter wrote:
For the last twenty years, in concerts, private lessons, masterclasses, and conversations, I've heard scores of claims that Kenny Dorham is an under-recognized player. He is so famous for his alleged obscurity that I think he might almost be over-recognized. (Obviously this is within the music world; most people don't even know who Louis Armstrong or Dizzy Gillespie are, these days.)

Another player whose name I think should be on everyone's tongue, and yet is somehow not, is Richard Carson Steuart. As far as "classical" trumpet players go, I can think of no one whose virtuosity is so consistently in service of his expressivity and creativity, both on record and in live performance. He is fearless and spectacular, and a real breath of fresh air in an idiom that all too often involves trying to sound like a flawless studio recording and not a unique human artist.

I remember when ITG released that trumpet and guitar CD. That was some of the best playing I've ever heard.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't know why Sergei Nakariakov isn't a household name.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
I still don't know why Sergei Nakariakov isn't a household name.

Yes, I enjoy his renditions of classic cornet solos!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a player named Frank Brown I have a recording of somewhere sent to me by a guy named Ron Stokes some of you may have known. Frank was a fantastic player - he was an assistant professor of jazz studies at the University of Cincinnati College Conservatory of Music. He was murdered in 1983 by some lowlifes he'd thrown out of a bar he owned. I can't find a photo of him online. I need to find that recording.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/05/14/Police-arrested-a-suspect-Saturday-in-the-stabbing-death/4116421732800/
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: