• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Handcraft Imperial Replacement Leadpipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hnelldor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Handcraft Imperial Replacement Leadpipe Reply with quote

Just picked up a new to me 1935 Handcraft Imperial trumpet with the nickel silver bell. This horn has been worked on in the past and I suspect the Leadpipe has been replaced. When compared to my 1937 Handcraft Imperial, the reciever section on the ‘35 is much shorter and a totally different style than the 37’. I also notice I need to pull out the main slide more than on my ‘37, but when I do, intonation is comparable.

Curious if anyone could direct me to someone who makes a replacement Leadpipe/reciever assembly. I know Charlie Melk does Committee replacements, but I’m curious if anyone else makes one specific to the Imperial or if the lead pipes are the same.

Thanks for all and any help!

Nick
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh Landress might be worth asking. Not sure if he does this, but I have seen pics of him drawing leadpipes before.

Here's a vid of my 36 HCI - be interested to hear if it was closer to the 37 or the 35 you own. Also wasn't aware they offered a nickel silver bell. Very cool!

Link

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh can easily make you a replacement.
He's done about half a dozen of mine over the years.

I'd be interested to see a pic of your horn if you don't mind PM'ing me here of on Fbook. I haven't seen a HC Imperial Trumpet with a nickel bell - but I do own 2 cornets with the nickel bell.
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: HI Reply with quote

I had a Handcraft Imperial that I had sent to Charlie Melk to get a replacement lead pipe. It was the biggest improvement I've ever had in a trumpet.
Hnelldor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Josh Landress might be worth asking. Not sure if he does this, but I have seen pics of him drawing leadpipes before.

Here's a vid of my 36 HCI - be interested to hear if it was closer to the 37 or the 35 you own. Also wasn't aware they offered a nickel silver bell. Very cool!

Link

Mike

Hey Mike,
Lovely playing on your video! Do you have non-stock finger buttons on yours?

I think your 36 HCI is much closer to my 37. My 35 has a tuning slide brace, a male-male 3rd valve slide with an adjustable finger ring(missing though that’s not too shocking). For some reason the 35 I have feels significantly lighter than the brass bell 37. My 35 has an interesting stop rod that I am not entirely sure is original... it’s hard to say because it’s apparent some one went ham fisted when they buffed portions of the horn to refinish it at some point.

And the nickel silver bell horn has a much denser sound... a certain lightness that my 37 has is totally missing from the 35. I’m not sure if it’s because of the nickel bell or the lead pipe or something else, but I was surprised at how less lively the sound is, and how open the horn feels- much more open feeling than my 37. The way the horn plays is much more like more my Getzen Eterna or my Bach 37, which is why I’m keen on finding a replacement lead pipe.
Hnelldor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zman wrote:
Josh can easily make you a replacement.
He's done about half a dozen of mine over the years.

I'd be interested to see a pic of your horn if you don't mind PM'ing me here of on Fbook. I haven't seen a HC Imperial Trumpet with a nickel bell - but I do own 2 cornets with the nickel bell.

Hey Zman,
I was hoping you would respond! I appreciate the Martin information page that you have put together... very interesting stuff! Thanks for the lead with Josh Landress, I’ll have to send him a message.

I’d love to share a picture of the horn... Although the nickel silver bell does not show up well.

Thanks for all the help!

-Nick[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: