• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dental implant or not

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Dental implant or not Reply with quote

Looking for any thoughts or experience on a dental option.

I have a lower, #30 (not the back tooth, but the one infront of that), that needs to be pulled. I have an option of just having it pulled or pulled and replaced with an implant.

Realising that dental structure is a base for the embouchure, I'm concerned that if I have it pulled and left as a space if I may have problems later on, if or when my teeth move because of the space.
Retired Air Force Bandsman

Last edited by zaferis on Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
what i know is that its "facing" tooth will progressively go out from the gum, and would fall at last, i mean if a superior tooth misses, then the inferior one will fall by time...

the problem is the implant material and toxicity.

best
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lower molar (third from the back including wisdom tooth) pulled about six years ago and though I meant to get back in to have an implant installed, I never did. It has caused absolutely no harm or change to my playing and my other teeth have not moved. Eventually, I will get the implant done for aesthetic reasons only.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I had a lower molar (third from the back including wisdom tooth) pulled about six years ago and though I meant to get back in to have an implant installed, I never did. It has caused absolutely no harm or change to my playing and my other teeth have not moved. Eventually, I will get the implant done for aesthetic reasons only.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

I had a similar experience as John did.

I have full upper dentures and partial lowers. The center tooth of the upper denture broke off clean to the base.

It took several month for the new denture to come in. So I had no choice but playing without, what I thought, was the most important trumpet tooth.

Well, after a few days I did not even realize that tooth was gone. (Would have been great if I was doing BE at the time for TOL :lol" ...... hmmm that gives me a thought with my current uppers ..........)

The only reason I even put in the new denture because without I looked like a vampire. Not to good when your retirement job is teaching engineering courses to smarty pants sophomores. :lol

BTW I also had to make a decision between a new (expanded) lower denture or implants.
Two reasons I will NEVER do implants:
1. As was suggested before: possible bone infection (I once had tooth decay caused bone infection. I would not wish that pain to my worst enemy.)
2. The money would buy a music store of brass wind instruments. Well, maybe not quite, but you get the picture.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Harry
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a back tooth like that I'd assume a bridge would be a less involved and much less costly option.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

difficult freaking decision i am making the same one. will the implant last a long time?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implants theoretically will last forever. They are titanium, and titanium fuses to bone.

I lost #19 - essentially the same tooth, but on the other side, and I have an implant.

I will tell you that the sound and feel changed just a touch when the tooth got pulled - it felt a bit more open with a slight change in sound, and that tightened back up when the crown was installed on the post.

Teeth will move if there is not a tooth in that place. John, I know you say your teeth haven't moved, but I'd be willing to bet that they have - maybe not a lot yet, but they most likely have moved.

I have never regretted doing the implant. After insurance, it cost me about $2200 out of pocket to get that implant, but it's a solid chewing surface, it will never decay, and although the crown may eventually fail, the implant itself never will. Most of the people who lose their implants are either smokers, and/or there has been some trauma to the area that causes a problem.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got #9 (top front) extracted a few weeks ago (welcome to trumpet-player hell). After I complete some orthodonture I'll be getting an implant. In my conversations with the doctor and my own research, implants may last a lifetime but some care is required. The periodontist I'm using requires annual checkups to ensure the implant won't fail.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had two lower back teeth removed, they are not readily visible. For me, zero affect on playing, and although one of them was removed 12 years ago, nothing has shifted as far as I can tell.

Brad
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Dental implants... Reply with quote

I have three implants: two adjacent lower right molars and one top left ...I'm sorry that I don't know the dental nomenclature or corresponding numbers. I continued to tour with these implants for a few years with no issues. I continue to play/perform today with no issues. I highly recommend dental implants (they are expensive and my insurance at the time deemed them to be a "vanity" procedure) and I advise people to steer clear of root canals as two of my implants are the result of failed root canals. Within the last six months, I have had to have another right upper "before the molars" tooth extracted. I have not experienced any detriment to my playing. Best wishes on whatever you decide/have decided to do...
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dental implants... Reply with quote

Gregory Gilmore wrote:
...I advise people to steer clear of root canals as two of my implants are the result of failed root canals.

It has been my casual observation that the root canal/crown route almost always fails eventually, although some google fu says that the success rate is 85-90%. I know that virtually all of the root canal procedures my Mom has had have failed. I use her as an example because in some ways - particularly with dental and joint health, I can look at her to see what to expect in 25 or so years - I've followed her pretty closely on some of it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dental implant or not Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Looking for any thoughts or experience on a dental option.

I have a lower, #30 (not the back tooth, but the one infront of that), that needs to be pulled. I have an option of just having it pulled or pulled and replaced with an implant.

Realising that dental structure is a base for the embouchure, I'm concerned that if I have it pulled and left as a space if I may have problems later on, if or when my teeth move because of the space.

I had a lower rear (3 from back) removed in high school on my right side and never replaced,
i had no issues playing right after or since, but in x'rays of my jaw show that is has clearly changed and is different from the other side now, no pain, no exterior change to mouth and jaw shape, just evident in x'rays, i was 16 then and 57 now, so a little movement was inevitable i think, The gap basically has grown smaller and pushed in from the front and the back. My dentist always asks me if it bothers me and it just doesn't. maybe when i'm a bit older it might start hurting.

good luck with your decision.

tom
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Dental implants... Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
Gregory Gilmore wrote:
...I advise people to steer clear of root canals as two of my implants are the result of failed root canals.

It has been my casual observation that the root canal/crown route almost always fails eventually, although some google fu says that the success rate is 85-90%. I know that virtually all of the root canal procedures my Mom has had have failed. I use her as an example because in some ways - particularly with dental and joint health, I can look at her to see what to expect in 25 or so years - I've followed her pretty closely on some of it.

On the subject of root canals, I don't think there's ever an option, that is unless you go straight to extraction. When the root goes south you're in for a whole lot of pain. And I've never heard of such a high failure rate, I'll have to look into that. I had to have mine done twice within the first year, then it was stable for the next several decades. My doctors never told me that the failed front tooth had anything to do with the root canal procedure. They suggested that the tooth supporting the crown just finally cracked.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google-fu turned up an 85-90% success rate - not failure rate - for the root canal procedure.

I've currently got both - I've got an implant for #18 (I was originally mistaken saying #19) on my lower left, and I've got a root canal and crown on #2 on the upper right.

The implant came about because of an accident of sorts - that was originally supposed to be a root canal and an onlay. I went in on a Wednesday and did the root canal and he gave me a temporary filling, and I was supposed to go in and get it finished the following week. Unfortunately on Sunday afternoon I was eating a cracker and that sucker cracked and broke all the way down through the root. A tooth broken like that can't be saved, so he refunded me the cost of the root canal and we made the decision to go with the implant, which I've always felt was a great decision.

As for the crown, initially I didn't like it, and I thought I was going to have to have that tooth pulled this last winter. I was getting some serious sensitivity with it, particularly with hot food or drink, but it ended up being related to inflammation and sinus pressure from a nasty cold and sinus infection I'd gotten. Right now things are fine with it, but I'm keeping an eye on it. If it ever gets bad again, I'll not hesitate to have it yanked and replaced with an implant. Expensive, yes. Time consuming, yes. But, it's a permanent solution that I know will work and work well.
- ACB Doubler

zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thougts and well wishes.

Root Canal is done - the original hope was to crown the tooth, but it's cracked enough that it's not worth repairing or crowning.

I will get it pulled. Just a matter of wether to replace it with an implant or not.

I think I'll just let it go.
To go with an implant is an extra cost that isurance doesn't completely cover.

Z...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks can live with a missing back tooth but it really depends on whether the teeth in opposition will allow the tooth to erupt unreasonably. I've got a baby tooth on the side and the tooth in opposition only ever erupted just a bit and has been stable for many years.

Any talk of a bridge to span the gap? That's usually a good deal more economical than an implant.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work regularly with a guy - just turned 79 - who has basically no molars left. His front teeth are solid, and he plays a good strong lead.
Of course, he's a mutant - he had half a lung removed 10 years ago (cancer) and it barely slowed him down.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a cracked molar extracted around 10 years ago. This year I was informed that the opposing molar is just now starting to erupt and I'm trying to schedule implant surgery before the end of the year.
jerry Dibble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Dental Implants or Not Reply with quote

Just a couple of additional thoughts:
I've had seven implants done over the past fifteen years, None interfered with my regular practice or performance schedule, and, while any change in the configuration of the oral cavity will affect your playing, you can usually maintain your skills and sound through the entire implant process.
Root canal surgery (endodontics) is always the first treatment for an infected tooth, but it leaves the tooth dead and thus more brittle and more susceptible to cracking. It's cheaper than an implant, but not if it fails within a short time and must be replaced with an implant. (I've had mixed results.)
Implants are more expensive than a bridge but most reputable dentists will tell you (as they have told me) that a bridge is a second-rate solution.
malden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had implant surgery two weeks ago for a missing upper molar. The oral surgeon in Paris did a great job. I had no pain or swelling at all. The sutures are now gone. I have to wait six months before the crown but so far so good.
The surgeon suggested I wait two weeks before playing, and I am looking forward to my first day of practice today. If everything continues as smoothly as it started I will be very pleased. Find an excellent oral surgeon. The procedure is a breeze if done correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: