• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tongue types

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Tongue types Reply with quote

My perception is that the lion's share of Reinhardt discussion focuses on embouchure types, with very little discussion of tongue types. Indeed, last September I posted a question about tongue types and got zero replies; and as I scroll through the pages of posts in this forum, I see very little discussion of tongue types. However, Doc very carefully defined tongue types just as he did embouchure types. So I'm wondering why so little discussion of it. I've been experimenting with tongue types lately, and I've come to believe that finding the right tongue type for yourself is every bit as important as finding your embouchure type. I've been using type V for as long as I can remember, but lately have had good results by keeping my tongue tip out of the gully behind the lower teeth and putting it instead on the back of my lower teeth. Any thoughts on this topic?
amuk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a 3b with type 5 tongue Lately, I've been doing the same thing with my tongue but only as I ascend beyond F or G at the top of the staff. My tongue goes up almost between my teeth and it does give support to the lower lip. I have to watch it or I'll go sharp in pitch. A high C with tongue support has more "Core" than a C with the tongue just arched. The tongue just gets in the way below the staff and my tone is not so good with it there. My tone was never particularly good using a 5 tongue buried down in the gully below the teeth---kind of nasal.
My tongue floating just behind the lower lip gives me more endurance too.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Tongue Type 5 Reply with quote

Using the correct tongue type is key. To determine the optimal tongue type, the size and shape of the mouth cavity (high or low roof) and the length and size of the tongue in relationship to the other. Cantabile will fine tune the tongue when using type 5 or behind teeth. Practice in the full range of your abilities on and above the staff.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Airdyn helped me find and fine tune my tongue type when I had the chance to take lessons with him. Changed my whole world! It's exactly what I needed in 1978. Meaning I never did discover this on my own, and that's certainly not due to any lack of experimentation.

I would strongly urge anyone to take lessons! I'll post about a lot of things, but tongue type is so personal, and getting it even a little wrong messed up my playing so much, I'd hesitate to even attempt to address the topic online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: