• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hi everybody.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big C

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Hi everybody. Reply with quote

Just happened onto this site. Wow!

I'm mostly inactive now, but will play in our local 4th of July parade. Played in school, through college, then about ten years in a community band. Once a trumpet player, always a trumpet player! My 9 yr old son is starting in the fall!

Is this the proper forum for an introductory post like this? If not, somebody give me some guidance.

Respectfully,
Big C (I'm average sized; it's a long story.)
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is the right place. Nice of you to introduce yourself. Welcome.

I didn't know the first thing about blogs or forums when I first found TH so it never occurred to me to introduce myself. In retrospect, it is just as well. I have a boring life's history and am a real hack on trumpet. I just started checking out the forum to get a few tips. Boy, did I ever get good tips. I am surprised by how much I didn't know.

My trumpet instructor is surprised by how much I still don't know, but that's another story.

One bit of caution, since I discovered TH, I have purchased a new trumpet, a new flugelhorn, an old cornet and way too many mouthpieces. You might want to make a resolution not to purchase any new hardware until you have taken lessons for a year. 10 years would be better, but once you get the bug...

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.

Last edited by Grits Burgh on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! TH will be a great resource for you. You’ll learn a lot about the instrument and a lot about its community. Hopefully you can help your son get off to a good start, too.

If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask! I hope you enjoy TH.

CJ
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Just remember - don't believe a SINGLE THING anyone on this forum posts about anything whatsoever. I'm convinced that only like 5% of regular posters even play the trumpet at all.

Cheers.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Welcome. Just remember - don't believe a SINGLE THING anyone on this forum posts about anything whatsoever. I'm convinced that only like 5% of regular posters even play the trumpet at all.

Cheers.

Hmm, there are some awesome players on here. Jens Lindemen, Tony Scodwell, Trent Austin, Arturo Sandavol, Flip Oakes, and many others.

However, there are a lot of hacks who post as if they live and perform in the rarified company of those players.

And it is very difficult to determine the good advice from the rubbish at times.

One other point, wear a thick skin, sometimes people can get under one’s skin.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Hi Everybody Reply with quote

You are right, once and always a player. You will find much valuable informaton in here. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here. Of course, all of us a a little insane when it comes to the trumpet and playing it, too. So, look out for everyone, too!! Welcome to TH
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Turkle wrote:

Cheers.

Hmm, there are some awesome players on here. Jens Lindemen, Tony Scodwell, Trent Austin, Arturo Sandavol, Flip Oakes, and many others.

However, there are a lot of hacks who post as if they live and perform in the rarified company of those players.

And it is very difficult to determine the good advice from the rubbish at times.

One other point, wear a thick skin, sometimes people can get under one’s skin.

THIS.

Brad
Big C

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some 100+ days later, I'm back with my second post here.

My 9 yr old son ended up choosing clarinet. Does anybody know if there might be some kind of support group for me?

Okay, I'm kidding. Sort of. The good news is, we can play the same music, so I am actually playing again. Next year, at our 4th of July parade, I'm gonna be rippin'! Plus, since we have a trumpet and a cornet at the house, when my 6 yr old daughter is feeling left out, guess what she picks up!

This site is awesome and y'all are great, by the way.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be worse, he could've selected drums.... errrr.... percussion.

That's what happened with my then-14 year old. He never did school band but we provided private instruction, which led to the typical high school garage band, then acoustic stuff with friends in college and he's actually now in a Nashville-based folk rock band as the drummer.

Music was always our connect point, even through the turbulent teen / young adult years.

So, keep playing and enjoy the musical times with your kids -- they indeed are investments that pay dividends!
ryanmuckenfuss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Big C glad to have you here! My story is about the same I happened onto this forum as a student with a desperate need for advice. Once I finally took the time to register and help others TH quickly became one of my favorite forums! Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Muck
Olds Ambassador
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: