• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Orchestral playing with a recording

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Orchestral playing with a recording Reply with quote

Over the years, I've tried playing orchestral parts along with recordings using studio headphones. But, lately I've thought about speakers. (Note: I have to practice in a very small Wenger practice module)

Does anyone have any suggestions that might make the experience feel more lifelike? I might try setting up some cheap surround sound speakers in the module.

Just seeing if anyone has any better ideas. Thanks - might be a stupid question.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also love playing along with recordings. The problem I've found with most headphones is that they block out your sound. If you have studio headphones, they might make the orchestra sound great, but you're not getting a true representation of what you need to do to blend better.

Over the years, Apple has changed the design of their headphones but I still like the original iPod/iPhone in-ear buds. I know that they're not studio quality, but you can adjust them so that they sit only slightly half in and half out of your ears. That way you can get the "mix" that you like.

If you're set on using studio headphones, maybe someone else has some suggestions, but perhaps a small mixer box and a good microphone might do the trick. That way it wouldn't matter if you're in a Wenger or not, you could mix the sound as if you're in your own personal studio, adding reverb as necessary.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your budget and what is your maximum space?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some open backed headphones as they allow you to hear your sound much more than regular headphones. I suggest Grado SR60i as a starting point or any of the more expensive models. Sennheiser also makes some open backed headphones that sound great. To get speakers that will compare in sound quality will cost much more than quality open backed headphones. I have a set of Paradigm towers and a Marantz amplifier that sounds great for playing along with recordings, but often prefer to use my Grado headphones.
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! I ordered some open backed headphones, we'll see how this works out.

All the best!
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to understand what OPEN BACK means.....would this qualify?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013OWPV4/ref=psdc_12097479011_t5_B0006DPMU4
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

Look at these for examples (may be out of your price range, just for illustration):
Grado SR60
Sennheiser HD650

The usual solution to too much isolation is to pull one earpiece off so you hear the click track or whatever in one ear and speakers/rest of the band in the other (uncovered) ear. That way you can get whatever headphones you want.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
No.

Look at these for examples (may be out of your price range, just for illustration):
Grado SR60
Sennheiser HD650

The usual solution to too much isolation is to pull one earpiece off so you hear the click track or whatever in one ear and speakers/rest of the band in the other (uncovered) ear. That way you can get whatever headphones you want.

So one of these is $80 dollars and the other is $367 (on sale). So what is the difference between to two for playing along with recordings?

Mind you, can afford either, but taking money out of the Ferrari can needs some justification....
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different makers, different point in the line, different price points.

For play-along usage I would get the Grado SR60's and call it a day.
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our horn professor turned me on to Ivasi a few years ago. It's been a big help learning new pieces before the first (and normally only) rehearsal. He uses it regularly with his studio.
http://www.ivasi.org/dvd-systems

Best,
Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: