• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lip (cavity??) problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jupitergas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Lip (cavity??) problem Reply with quote

I’ve been playing trumpet for about three years and started taking practices more seriously about a year ago. 6 months ago I got a blister on my upper lip that hurt when I played and after letting the lip rest for a while it disappeared. However, it came back again when i resumed daily practice, and now after a longer break I have some sort of cavity/scar in the upper lip. It feels like the lip is weaker now where the blister were and it still hurts when I’m playing. Have anyone experienced something similar and did you take a complete break or just slow down practice a bit? Could it be a mouthpiece problem? Super thankful for replies and advice!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the sore area on the inside or outside of your lip?
And does the sore area have an active 'injury', or does it feel more 'sensitive'?

It might be a mouthpiece problem if the sore area is due to a 'pressure point' on the lip between the rim and a tooth. Or you might have a 'contact sensitivity' to the silverplate on the mouthpiece. Plastic or goldplate mouthpieces are available.

It might also just be a situation of you using excess mouthpiece rim pressure. That problem often occurs when trying to achieve higher notes.

Playing high notes is a skill, and there IS technique that needs to be learned that DOESN'T include smashing the rim against your lips! If you want more info about this, just ask and you'll get helpful responses.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jupitergas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Is the sore area on the inside or outside of your lip?
And does the sore area have an active 'injury', or does it feel more 'sensitive'?

It might be a mouthpiece problem if the sore area is due to a 'pressure point' on the lip between the rim and a tooth. Or you might have a 'contact sensitivity' to the silverplate on the mouthpiece. Plastic or goldplate mouthpieces are available.

It might also just be a situation of you using excess mouthpiece rim pressure. That problem often occurs when trying to achieve higher notes.

Playing high notes is a skill, and there IS technique that needs to be learned that DOESN'T include smashing the rim against your lips! If you want more info about this, just ask and you'll get helpful responses.

Thanks for the reply!

It’s on the inside of my lip and it’s more like a sensitive thing. It hurts more when i play high notes since it feels like the sensitive part gets a bit stretched out inside the mouthpiece.

What do you mean with “pressure point” and how could I solve that with a different mouthpiece?

I think I tried to press the rim hard when playing high notes before but I’m not doing that anymore, but that’s probably how the problem started.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupitergas wrote:

It’s on the inside of my lip and it’s more like a sensitive thing. It hurts more when i play high notes since it feels like the sensitive part gets a bit stretched out inside the mouthpiece.

What do you mean with “pressure point” and how could I solve that with a different mouthpiece?

I think I tried to press the rim hard when playing high notes before but I’m not doing that anymore, but that’s probably how the problem started.

Try not to stretch your lip tissue out. Instead, try to get more lip tissue into the cup. Don't pull the corners of your mouth back, or smile, or any of that. While pulling a string tighter may make it vibrate faster, that doesn't work out in practice for brass instruments. Imagine squeezing a skittle between your thumb and index finger. This is closer to what you want.

As far as a "pressure point" goes, our teeth provide an irregular surface under our lips. If there are any areas of your teeth that protrude out more than your other teeth, even slightly, it can create an area where your mouthpiece feels like it is cutting more into your lip.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a stretch mark from lip intrusion
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Lip (cavity??) problem Reply with quote

Jupitergas wrote:
I’ve been playing trumpet for about three years and started taking practices more seriously about a year ago. 6 months ago I got a blister on my upper lip that hurt when I played and after letting the lip rest for a while it disappeared. However, it came back again when i resumed daily practice, and now after a longer break I have some sort of cavity/scar in the upper lip. It feels like the lip is weaker now where the blister were and it still hurts when I’m playing. Have anyone experienced something similar and did you take a complete break or just slow down practice a bit? Could it be a mouthpiece problem? Super thankful for replies and advice!

How old are you?
Do you practice daily?
Do you have a teacher?
What sort of things do you practice?
What type of music do you play?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: