• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams F5 Copper vs Kanstul 1525 Copper

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSR wrote:
SMALL Morse taper.. on this 1525...

I highly..., no HIGHLY recommend you talk to Flip Oakes about an Extreme mouthpiece for your 1525. Or, if you play more above the staff, the standard WT flugelhorn mouthpiece. Both are available in Small Morse and Flip has lots of stock now.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello CSR... Good news!

1525 will never sound like a euphonium, nor will you ever mistake its tone for a trumpet.

Having said the above, there is very broad variability on the tone that your 1525 can generate... The Kanstul FB is a glorious mouthpiece in its own right.... Capable of both a relatively dark tone, but also of a lot of eenergy.... And can lend 1525 a French horn like nuance.... I believe I have a Yamaha 12F3D also.... Slightly brighter than FB, and can sound constricted at top.... Wick 3F is one of the darkest flugel mouthpieces that I know, and is only surpassed in darkness by the Flip Oakes Standard and the Flip Oakes extreme.

All of the above make a 1525 sound like a flugel... Hence, I repeat my question.... What kind of flugel tone are you seeking? More brilliant than Yammy 12F3D? Darker than Wick? Lyrical like the whole Curry series? Perhaps with a bit of sparkle like the Storks? Or you want your 1525 approach the tone of an alto trombone, in which case I suggest you source the rare Jet Tone Al Hirt?

Regards, G.
CSR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GuidoCorona for your reply...The truth of the matter is, I don't know exactly. One of the reasons I liked the Kanstul was it's very awesome sound - with about anything I used. The Kanstul FB is maybe a little too bright...the Denis Wick 3FL is possibly a little too dark...Pretty subjective in the end...I demoed one a while back and did like the bach 3cfl...
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello CSR, thank you for narrowing your target....

I have never used any Bach mouthpieces, so I can't comment on the Bach 3Fl...

Amongst the flugel MPs that I use, I would suggest the following three...

Curry Fl-D -- Per se, this mouthpiece is not exactly brighter than the Wick Fl... The core is in fact as dark... However, Curry Fl-D has greater presence of exposed harmonics, which cause it to make the 1525 shimmer more, and in some sense be more expressive than Wick 3Fl.

Curry Fl -- Perhaps the ultimate middle of the road mouthpiece. Far from being a bright mouthpiece, it is never the less less dark than Curry Fl-D, and has a wonderful lyrical tone.

Stork Fl. This is an interesting piece... The dark core seems to me in between Curry Fl and Curry Fl-d... However, this MP has also the typical Stork sparkle of upper harmonics, no matter where you are in the range. And yes, it is a bit darker than Kanstul FB.

Hope this helps.

G.
CSR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again G.
I really appreciate all the time and expertise you are willing to share!
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn, has got any work done on the leadpipe to accept large-morse taper? Any work done on the 3rd valve trigger (install a different handle)?
GuidoCorona
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that before Kanstul ceased operations, alternative lead pipes -- such as large Morse taper -- could be requested/purchased from Kanstul... Now that Kanstul is no longer, all bets are off. You might try to contact BAC, who has acquired all Kanstul tooling, or a well reputed after-market horn enhancer.

Guido
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
this is a little neurosis of mine but i will offer it anyway. i would be sure that copper was the right way to go beforehand. play the copper bell instrument against a top 70/30 brass model.even a flugel greatly benefits from some higher overtones.

I always wanted a.copper flugelhorn because Mangione's Calicchio on his Chesky album 'The Feelings Back sounded absolutely ideal. .' I later jumped at the opportunity to buy the copper bell Adam's F5 (from a THF user) without auditioning it, based on its reputation for playing in tune.

My initial impression was that even though it played & slotted quite easily, it sounded a bit dull compared my existing yellow brass flugelhorn (played with a Curry FL mouthpiece) . That problem was remedied by switching to an ACB* MDF mouthpiece. Now for my taste I have a perfectly balanced tone.

* nice outfit to do business with
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJtpt31 wrote:
Looking at the Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn, has got any work done on the leadpipe to accept large-morse taper?

In the dim recesses of my memory I believe I recall that the first production run of 1525's had Yamaha-taper receivers, and that the wall thickness was so thin the receivers started failing under use. Kanstul quickly switched to the Bach taper to address the problem.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
DJtpt31 wrote:
Looking at the Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn, has got any work done on the leadpipe to accept large-morse taper?

In the dim recesses of my memory I believe I recall that the first production run of 1525's had Yamaha-taper receivers, and that the wall thickness was so thin the receivers started failing under use. Kanstul quickly switched to the Bach taper to address the problem.

Interesting. Ended up with a Benge 3 bell flugelhorn which I'm pretty happy with right now. Maybe in the future I'll get the chance to try one of the Kanstul flugelhorns.
Trollet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Adams F5 Copper vs Kanstul 1525 Copper Reply with quote

outskiing wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has had the privilege to play these two horns and can let us know how they compare. the Adams is a smaller bore, so I'm wondering if the larger bore Kanstul comes out a bit more trumpet like. Listing to the professionals who use these horns the Kanstul does seem to have a brighter tone, but that may be due to mouthpiece and style selection.

Just curious...

I bought an Adams F5 of ACB (you can see the old listing of the all brushed finish F5 on his pre owned flugel site). After a while i sold it, it is a great horn. Intonation is top of the line for flugelhorns. I sold it because i didn't like the sound i personally got from it, even with a super deep wick 4fl. I also found it a bit unresponsive with the 60 gauge copper bell, and i also didnt like the ergonomics. Just overall a bad fit for me. All instruments have disadvantages, it's about finding what's best for you. I tried an F1 before, i think that suits my sound in my head more. Currently waiting for a Taylor phat boy to arrive (found it for a deal used). I think i will do a post comparing it to the F5 (and maybe a carol brass and van laar br1 flugel, and F1 if i'm lucky to borrow them all from my friends).
Mpcs:
GR 64SZ* - and a bunch more
Bach 7FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: