• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for a Good Solo (with accompanied orchestra)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTRPT

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Looking for a Good Solo (with accompanied orchestra) Reply with quote

I currently am a freshman and am looking for some good solos that an orchestra could accompany many. The reason being that I have the opportunity to audition for a solo in orchestra (although it's unlikely that they'd pick a trumpet) but I have multiple years. I'm looking for something at about the same level of difficulty as the Arutunian Trumpet Concerto, but easier would always be preferred. I can maybe work my up to the Arutunian, but as of now it's slightly out of my playing ability. If someone could help me find a piece, that would be great! The range would be preferred only up to a high G, or a high A. Thank you and I'd be more than happy for any input.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have posed an interesting question. As a young player, studying at college, there are many resources to explore which will assist your education, rather than asking a bunch of anonymous trumpet geeks for their ideas.

That said, this IS one pace, but only one, to get a few ideas.

Your very first step is to look at what you need to do to get a spot performing a work as soloist with orchestra. 99% of the time, you will be playing a concerto. So, go and start listening to concerti and see what you like. You also need to look very closely at your own playing. If your range is only to the top of the stave, then there is some serious work needing to be done. Back to your teacher to talk about this, and make developing your range a part of your work. In fact, talk to your teacher about repertoire as well. They know your playing better than we do. they library at college is another place to explore.

Your next step is to winnow out repertoire which is not realistic. With your stated range, that means all baroque works, as they will need range to at least high concert A or B, if not a high D.

Classical works? The standard repertoire is also out due to range. there may be some lesser known keyed trumpet works out there to explore.

Works from the romantic times are few and far between, but most if not all require more range than you possess. the same will be for more contemporary works, APART from the Arutunian which only has a high concert Ab a few times. There are some recordings of work you should listen to, such as Dr EH Tarr on romantic works WITH orchestral accompaniment.

Getting to grips with this is vital on your development as a player.

Now, for specific pieces? Hovhaness Prayer of Saint Gregory is one likely candidate. String orchestra accompaniment. That's off the top of my head, without looking in my library.

Time to get looking and listening!

cheers

Andy
Nate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple possibilities for solos within your range (I think) and difficulty level. I've known these more with piano accompaniment (and a challenge may be finding orchestral arrangements for many such solos) but I see the ones below on youtube with orchestra. Good luck and have fun.

Goedicke - Concert Etude, op 49
J. Guy Ropartz - Andante and Allegro
Leroy Anderson - Trumpeter's Lullaby

If you know an arranger who could orchestrate piano scores there are other solos of similar level that seem to only have piano accompaniment.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars-Erik Larsson Concertino for trompet and orchestra?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on the Marcello Oboe Concerto, which is interesting since it was written for another instrument. Now starting to look at Mozart Horn Concertos (the ones where the solo is for an Eb horn).

Have been through Neruda, Hummel, Haydn...

Concert Etude is fun and is a low register piece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: