• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet solo 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly'?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Bryant
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Trumpet solo 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly'? Reply with quote

Who played the solo at the end when Clint Eastwood has the three-way 'duel' (truel?) in the middle of the graveyard?
trumpet cat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know but there was alot of great trumpet playing on that soundtrack...
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV can be one of the trumpeters best practice buddies.
Olds Super, 1964 w/ C.M. Purviance 5*K4
Marcinkiewicz: E8.4 Shew 1.75
Schilke Flugel; Kanstul Flugel
Kanstul Valve Bone
Surfboard quiver: 15
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the soundtrack of "The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly" and there is abolutely zero information about who plays on it. No liner notes of any kind. Of course, you all should know that it was composed by arguably the greatest movie music composer of all time, Ennio Morricone. By coincidence I've been listening to a lof of his music lately-- and the "The Good, Bad,etc." soundtrack is in my opinion an absolute masterpiece... the music stands on its own, as does his other music. If he wasn't a genius he was darn sure near one.

My brother-in-law, esteemed jazz bassist Giovanni Tommaso lives in Ennio Morricones old Villa outside Rome (bought it directly from him). Next time I talk to him I'll ask if he knows who the trumpet player was and who else might have been in the orchestra-- he might well have been involved.
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I have been told by a reliable source that Francesco Catania and Michele Lacerenza played the trumpet parts for the soundtrack, although I don't know who played exactly which parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
trumpet cat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my recollection, there's a part in the music where there are 2 trumpet soloists going furiously back and forth...great playing. Maybe the 2 guys mentioned above.....
ZionTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm I know Ennio Morricone composed all of the dollars trilogy. I am fond of the trumpet pieces in fist full of dollars and a few dollars more, I've learned some of them, they are not that tough..
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever it was on the original soundtrack - monster players

When Surrey Brass play some of this music the trumpet battlers are two of TH's own - modularwill and your very own pink haired TrumpetMike.
bluenote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: gbu Reply with quote

Better yet: I wish they would make more movies like that. I miss good westerns, and those 'spaghetti westerns' are classic. The new Hollywood tough guys are a bunch of pretty boys.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE!

Just spent some time with in-law Giovanni Tommaso, who happens to be stateside for a a few weeks and he gave me the lowdown. He played bass on many of the Ennio Morricone soundtracks, including "Good, Bad and Ugly." He says the trumpet player was a session cat named Michele LaCerenza. Giovanni says Ennio was himself something of a trumpet player so that's why one hears a trumpet player frequently in his music. Michele apparently tried some litigation to get more recognition because of the resulting popularity of the speghiti western phenom, particularly from "Good and Bad" but I don't think much came of it.

You heard it here first folks!
rooster7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is sheet music available for "IL Triello" (The Trio), which is the name of the song played during the duel of "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". The sheet music deviates a little bit from the original score, but it pretty close. The highest note is a high D, which makes it playable for most trumpet players. I've played it on a Bb trumpet and a piccolo trumpet.
The full score is available from Molenaar music.
http://www.molenaar.com/web/details.aspx?isartist=0&id=7146
Its in pdf format. There are a couple of live performances on Youtube. The live performances are using the Molenaar music format. The sheet music is also available through www.sheetmusicplus.com Sheetmusicplus has several packages, but doesn't show a sample of the music you are buying.
Also, another fun song to play is from the movie "A Fist Full of Dollars". Its also the music that is played in the duel at the end of the movie. I have searched high and low for the sheet music and the best I could do is what is available on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIvANVNFTc0
The name of the song is "Per Un Pugno Di Dollari". Although time consuming to do, I used a digital camera to photograph each page from the Youtube video. There are 6 pages. I took around 50 pictures of each page, deleted out the pages that weren't legible, and saved 6 good pages. I copied the six pages to a cd, took the cd to Staples, and had them copy the images to paper (I'm sure you could copy the images if you have a copier). I then took scissors and cut out the trumpet part, taped the six trumpet part lines to a 8X11 sheet of paper, took that back to Staples and made a copy. The results came out great. The song is a blast to play.
I think Ennio Morricone did a brillant job writing the music for alot of Westerns. One of my favorites is from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly", called "Ecstacy of Gold". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rHdSWZLpQ
The oboe, the piano, and the female solo gives me good bumps. I would love hear it performed at a live concert.
Mark
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is funny that this thread would be resurrected today. I just finished watching For a Few Dollars More a couple of hours ago. I have always been a big fan of the music from the trilogy. Pretty cool that someone arranged the Trio music for trumpet and band.

Thanks for the links and information about who played on the soundtrack!
deleted_user_1dac1c5

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that the score of el trio was miraculously found, does anyone know where to get the full orchestra version of the ecstasy of gold? I would absolutely love to see it.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Get three coffins ready..."

< a little time passes>

"My mistake, four..."

spach
Veteran Member

Location: yazoo county, ms via northern calif. via central calif. via southern calif.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to beat the harmonica playing in "Once upon a time in the west"...and who knew you could catch a fly in a gun barrel? *cough cough clear throat*
1925 (or '34) MEHA (#878**)(.460)(4 3/4" bell)(32.6 oz.)
"Where, then, does the soul reside with its better body while it awaits the sound of the trumpet?"--Stephen J. Gould
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet cat wrote:
To my recollection, there's a part in the music where there are 2 trumpet soloists going furiously back and forth...great playing. Maybe the 2 guys mentioned above.....

I believe they're on piccolo trumpets in that section too, neat sound, those films go well beyond the usual film score fare...
rooster7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer Jloon36 question, I do believe I found the full score to "Ecstasy of Gold". Its in pdf format. I can't open pdf format images, so I will give you the web page and you can open the pdf folder to see if it actually is the correct music. It appears to be so.
http://docs.fantasyorchestra.org/morricone/ecstasy-of-gold/
Also, if you click on the Parent Directory tab, it takes you to the main menu. There is listed several other Ennio Morricone pieces of music.
Mark
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIchele Lacerenza. He played the two big ones, Trio, from "For a Few Dollars More," and Sundown/aka Duel from "Good Bad and the Ugly." More information is available on the web since the original posting of this topic.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Trumpet Solo, "The Good the Bad, and the Ugly" Reply with quote

I had an LP of the spaghetti western themes most of it Ennio Morricone and I would have remembered if they mentioned a name on the recordings. I played the album 'til it basically wore out. Ennio Morricone and Sergio Leone were always on the same page. Great music, especially for trumpet players, and sometimes pan flute.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Trumpet Solo, "The Good the Bad, and the Ugly" Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Ennio Morricone and Sergio Leone were always on the same page. Great music, especially for trumpet players, and sometimes pan flute.

Guy whistling..and vocals are pretty good also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLXQltR7vUQ

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: