• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

D, Eb, F, G tpt mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: D, Eb, F, G tpt mutes Reply with quote

For any experts, what straight mute do you use for D, E flat, F, or G trumpet? I have a stomvi D / E flat, and a Schilke F / G. All I see online is piccolo trumpet straight mutes.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Trumcor Eb straight and cup mutes on my Eb Soprano Cornet. Denis Wick also makes Eb mutes.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few out there but choice is fairly limited (compared to how much is out there for Bb trumpets).

Try looking for:
- Peter Gane (fiber - a favourite with sop cornet players, will work excellent on a trumpet also).
- Wallace (metal - not been around as long but gaining following quickly over here)
- Denis Wick (metal - I'm not keen on it, but then I'm not that keen on their Bb size mutes either)

Any of these will get the job done, I'd try and get hands on the former two but the Wick will do the job if you can't get hold of the other two.
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Wallace and Peter Gane both seem to have good prices if it weren't for tax.

2. Denis Wick seems to have okay pricing, but the mute seems to be designed for D trumpet or E flat cornet. Why this variety?

3. Trumcor cost twice as much as the others.

The Bell flares seem drastically different such that a universal mute is not likely.

I am wondering if I should just get the cheapest metal mute possible, maybe Humes and Berg Piccolo, and then get the corks customized or customize them myself.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: D, Eb, F, G tpt mutes Reply with quote

Bstradivarius wrote:
For any experts, what straight mute do you use for D, E flat, F, or G trumpet? I have a stomvi D / E flat, and a Schilke F / G. All I see online is piccolo trumpet straight mutes.

For my G1L, I have used a Denis Wick Eb straight mute with the corks sanded down substantially. This fits the #4 bell in F, and #5 bells in F and G. For the #8 bell in G, I use a standard piccolo trumpet straight mute. The corks are so narrow on this mute, that it does not work well on the #4 bell, or #2 bell in E, nor do they work well on the same bells for E3L (or E3L-4). For these bells I use another Wick Eb straight, with the corks only lightly adjusted, or standard C/Bb trumpet mutes.

In addition to the Wick straight, I use their Eb cup mute on the same bells with substantial material removed from the corks. The corks on the one I have for most of my G1L bells are so narrow, that the mute now falls out of the E3L bells.

Surely some of the other Eb trumpet mutes work well. The Wick mutes are both readily available in the US, and are reasonably priced. If you need a harmon style mute, the Stolzel D/Eb trumpet / wah-wah mute fits the #4, and #5 taper G1L, and works well for some specific needs on my Bb/C trumpet bells.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have to adjust the corks, just as you should for regular mutes.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crown makes (or used to make) D trumpet mutes, which were smaller versions of their normal Bb/C mutes.

With these usually smaller bells one needs to get a mute to fit that bell, and then reserve the mute for it. I needed a straight mute for my Schilke G1L-4 and and had to think outside of the box with a small window of time.

I found a Humes and Berg pixie mute. It's small and all it needed was the corks moved from where they were to position it in the G bel properly. My worries about enough sizzle in the sound were unfounded about 3 seconds after I got going with the mute in a rehearsal.

That mute isn't going to be used for anything else...

cheers

Andy
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All great tips! Thanks!
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Denis Wick, not because it is better than the two English models, but because it is available in the US.

The DW Piccolo straight mute plays nicely on my Schilke G1L. I borrowed a friends' mute in order to see how far to shave the cork. I shaved it just enough so mine fits snugly but so the cork rests flush with the bell. In do doing, I get the best sound and intonation for the setup. I doubt I'll ever need a mute for the G bell. If I did I could shave the cork a tad more and still be ok for both.

Now for the Eb DW mute, on the way.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: