• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Capri question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramon Lima

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Getzen Capri question Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm as new to this forum as I'm a new trumpet player(+- 1 year) and ever since I started playing I've been using a Yamaha ytr 1335, simples student model.

Recently I've come across a severe passion for getzen's Trumpets (held one in my hands once = instant love) and I'm considering buying one but I live in Brazil so a good instrument as a good price are both very hard to stumble upon. So I found this Capri which acording to the serial number(A11407) ages in between 1972-1975
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-922039430-trompete-getzen-capri-_JM

I have 2 questions;

1- What's the deal with this screw on the main tuning slide? Is this a good Capri version?

2-Based on your experience is it a worthy step up or should I keep playing my Yammie till I find a good professional Getzen?

Thanks!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screw on the tuning slide is an add-on and I guess was added by someone who assumingly used it to hold a lyre. It normally doesn't belong there. If I got the horn, I'd have the item removed.

Regarding Capri, I've played for almost 20 years with a guy who plays (1st in concert band) a Capri and sees no reason to "upgrade" it. Capris are good horns.

But if you've only been playing one year, unless there's something wrong with it, your Yamaha should serve you well. I'd save your money and buy a better horn further in the future when you can take better advantage of it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Getzen Capri's Reply with quote

The early (and I presume) todays Capri models are quite the same as the Eterna models with very little cosmetic changes. No less than Armando Ghitalla used a Capri C trumpet when he played principal with the Boston Symphony. Whether it's a better horn than your Yamaha is for you to decide if you can do that.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Ramon Lima

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
The screw on the tuning slide is an add-on and I guess was added by someone who assumingly used it to hold a lyre. It normally doesn't belong there. If I got the horn, I'd have the item removed.

Regarding Capri, I've played for almost 20 years with a guy who plays (1st in concert band) a Capri and sees no reason to "upgrade" it. Capris are good horns.

But if you've only been playing one year, unless there's something wrong with it, your Yamaha should serve you well. I'd save your money and buy a better horn further in the future when you can take better advantage of it.

Thank you for that! Conscience tells me I should wait more, learn more so I can tell the difference between timbres and stuff, all the rest of me says 'You need that in order to play better, you need that to stay motivated'.

I'll leave the veredict to my bank account.
Ramon Lima

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Capri's Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
The early (and I presume) todays Capri models are quite the same as the Eterna models with very little cosmetic changes. No less than Armando Ghitalla used a Capri C trumpet when he played principal with the Boston Symphony. Whether it's a better horn than your Yamaha is for you to decide if you can do that.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Thank you for the reference, I'm sure there's something around the forum explaining it in detail, but; Could you tell me why someone would choose a C trumpet over a Bb? Tottally newbie here but I've heard Bb is easier to play..true?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Capri's Reply with quote

Ramon Lima wrote:
Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Thank you for the reference, I'm sure there's something around the forum explaining it in detail, but; Could you tell me why someone would choose a C trumpet over a Bb? Tottally newbie here but I've heard Bb is easier to play..true?

The tradition in the US symphonies is to use a C rather than a Bb.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one for my 12 year's son , he plays last 3 years, great horn easy you can hold it until college.
For me Getzen company makes some of the best horns in the market and is very underated special in United States.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
JayTongue

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Capri's Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Ramon Lima wrote:
Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

This is for several reasons. The C has shorter tubing and for long gigs the decreased resistance can be preferable, but it also tends to be a little brighter because the instrument is naturally higher. My trumpet professor at college told me that this helps many players cut through the ensemble when the part calls for it a little better. However, most music for trumpet anywhere is written in Bb, and the intonation on a Bb is nearly always better than on the C.
Ramon Lima

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen Capri's Reply with quote

JayTongue wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
Ramon Lima wrote:
Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

This is for several reasons. The C has shorter tubing and for long gigs the decreased resistance can be preferable, but it also tends to be a little brighter because the instrument is naturally higher. My trumpet professor at college told me that this helps many players cut through the ensemble when the part calls for it a little better. However, most music for trumpet anywhere is written in Bb, and the intonation on a Bb is nearly always better than on the C.

Great man, thanks for the brief explanation!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I buy the "shorter tubing/decreased resistance" statement.

My piccolo has much less tubing than a Bb and has much more resistance.

I cannot compare the resistance of my Bb, 37, and C, 256, since the 37 is ML bore and the 256 large. Also I use different mouthpieces which also affect the resistance, as does the gap, valve alignments, etc.

That said, I don't find any difference in endurance between the two instruments. YMMV.
JayTongue

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

I cannot compare the resistance of my Bb, 37, and C, 256, since the 37 is ML bore and the 256 large. Also I use different mouthpieces which also affect the resistance, as does the gap, valve alignments, etc.

That said, I don't find any difference in endurance between the two instruments. YMMV.

I believe this to be because a picc has a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller bore than a Bb, whereas the bore difference between a Bb and a C is nowhere near as large. Having said this, you bring up an excellent point, which is that the narrowest point if the air column in any brass set up is the throat/venturi of the mouthpiece. I'm appealing largely to generalities, and the specifics of each setup undoubtedly influences the blow, back pressure, and resistance.
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Capri cornet... If I played more cornet, I would've probably upgraded, but in most ways it plays just as well as my Eterna flugelhorn, and Strad and Yamaha 9335 trumpet.

I love Getzen valves, intonation is spot on and slides etc. work very well.

That being said... you've been playing for a year? Your current horn should be fine for years
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayTongue wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

I believe this to be because a picc has a SIGNIFICANTLY smaller bore than a Bb, whereas the bore difference between a Bb and a C is nowhere near as large. Having said this, you bring up an excellent point, which is that the narrowest point if the air column in any brass set up is the throat/venturi of the mouthpiece. I'm appealing largely to generalities, and the specifics of each setup undoubtedly influences the blow, back pressure, and resistance.

My Kanstul pic is a 460 bore. My Bach 37 is a 459.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Baker used a Getzen Capri at one time. I believe that it was because he liked the valve action.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Getzen Capri's Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

And Steve Chenette played a Capri C trumpet as principal with the Minnesota Orchestra ca. 1969-70.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Capri resistance Reply with quote

Can anybody compare the resistance of the Capri with a Getzen700? I generally like Getzens, but the 700 ( with 2 braces) was very tight in the upper register. Does the Capri have a similar blow?
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Irving on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Getzen Capri question Reply with quote

Ramon Lima wrote:

1- What's the deal with this screw on the main tuning slide? Is this a good Capri version?

2-Based on your experience is it a worthy step up or should I keep playing my Yammie till I find a good professional Getzen?

Thanks!

If you're asking about the screw on the bottom tube that receives the main slide, it is a "stop screw" that pairs with a ring around the upper tube of the 3rd slide. It limits the excursion of the slide to keep it from falling off. I didn't scour all of the responses so if I missed a prior mention of this, please forgive.

Getzen (and Edwards) and others still use this design.

A Capri is a pro horn if played by a pro player. I played a lot with a guy who eschewed a career in NY but had subbed for a HUGE name in a quintet while he was there. He played C almost exclusively but his B-flat was a Capri, which he would play on occasion. He sounded great.

-Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: