• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cornet Bore Size 460 or 470?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willieplas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Cornet Bore Size 460 or 470? Reply with quote

Interested in buying a cornet.

Have searched online about what size bore mostly is preferred. No success.

460 or a 470 bore size?

Would appreciate your input.

Thank you!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play them.

Bore size is just a number - leadpipe and bell will make a huge difference with exactly the same bore.

Until you've played them, you won't know very much.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above is very true and especially on trumpets. Personally I feel that larger bore cornets are easier to play. I’ve tried many many cornets and I definitely feel that with the larger bore the upper register is easier to play. My experience is 99% on cornets aimed at the British brass band style so I would assume that the leadpipes and bell profiles are similar. I have minimal experience with long cornets. I currently only own 4, a 40’s Blessing Artist @ .485, a Holton c605 @ .465 (long cornet with a shepherds crook), a Holton c602 @ .460 and a 1914 Holton NP long model (kinda like the Clarke model with a shepherds crook) @ .485. Just gave away a 40’s Holton model 29 @ .460. The c602 plays much better and open than the model 29 but the bell is also almost 1/2” bigger in diameter. My Brasspire is a .468
Also like stated above you really need to play them to actually know how they feel and what you like. All of my short cornets are large to very large bores except my cr310 which is a ML and I definitely feel it builds resistance as you go up the scale
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
The above is very true and especially on trumpets. Personally I feel that larger bore cornets are easier to play. I’ve tried many many cornets and I definitely feel that with the larger bore the upper register is easier to play. My experience is 99% on cornets aimed at the British brass band style so I would assume that the leadpipes and bell profiles are similar. I have minimal experience with long cornets. I currently only own 4, a 40’s Blessing Artist @ .485, a Holton c605 @ .465 (long cornet with a shepherds crook), a Holton c602 @ .460 and a 1914 Holton NP long model (kinda like the Clarke model with a shepherds crook) @ .485. Just gave away a 40’s Holton model 29 @ .460. The c602 plays much better and open than the model 29 but the bell is also almost 1/2” bigger in diameter. My Brasspire is a .468
Also like stated above you really need to play them to actually know how they feel and what you like. All of my short cornets are large to very large bores except my cr310 which is a ML and I definitely feel it builds resistance as you go up the scale

Don't be so sure... Bells and leadpipes vary every bit as much on BBB cornets as they do on trumpets, and the effects are just as noticeable.

This is noticeable on (for example) Smith-Watkins cornets where the leadpipes are interchangeable - a K2 is very different from a T2 is very different from a T4, etc.
I've tried different leadpipes and different bells (as the single altered component) on other occasions too - the effects can be very noticeable indeed.

Although, as we clearly agree, playing them side by side is very important.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the knowledge.

To the OP, play testing is best but not so easy. That’s probably why I have so many. If you really want to try a lot there’s not a whole lot you can do. In about 8 months or so in Ft Wayne IN there’s a brass band contest with many vendors
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet Bore Size 460 or 470? Reply with quote

willieplas wrote:

460 or a 470 bore size?

Thank you!

What sort of music and in what kind of ensemble are you hoping to play? Is it just for personal pleasure, or an organized brass band? The situation will likely have some amount of bearing on your decision.

I have my favorite, but I'm not a cornet player, so I'll leave my 2 bits in my pocket.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've never played a cornet before. I'd suggest to stop worrying about bore size and look for one of the generally accepted or "liked' models, then go through the process of finding a suitable mouthpiece for your needs and learn the play difference between a trumpet and cornet.

That last point is big in my book; I know way to many trumpet players that play the cornet like a trumpet and never get the sound right.
When you get one, do a lot of soft playing, let the cornet do the work for you, let it be that softer warmer voice.

Getzen Eterna (just saw one on eBay for $800)
Bach Strad 184ML - love mine
Yamaha 2330 / 3330 / 4330
King 605 (I think that's right)
Jupiter, makes a decent one.
Blessing - I have an old one that plays pretty darn well.
ETC..
Retired Air Force Bandsman
p76
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....there are quite a few .462 and .464 cornets out there too....

Does kind of depend what you are going to do with it, and what mpc you are intending to use. If you are going down the BBB route, and are using a deeper/wider throat mpc, you might find a smaller bore cornet backing up on you a bit, which has been my experience anyway.

If you look at my signature, you can see that I own a spectrum of bore sizes - my Getzen is .460, the Besson is .462 and the Olds is .470. With my Curry 3BBC mpc, I find the Besson and Olds are great, but the Getzen backs up on me. If I use a more trumpet-like Bach cornet mpc the Getzen is fine.

As a few of the posters have mentioned, try as many as you can and see what suits you, your preferred mpc, and your style of playing.

Cheers,
Roger
Flugel - Kanstul 1525
Mpc. - ACB 3CS, ACB 3ES, Curry 3BBC, Kanstul FB Flugel
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Cornet Bore Size 460 or 470? Reply with quote

willieplas wrote:

460 or a 470 bore size?

Thank you!

For brass band cornet playing, the larger bore models are widely preferred. I have found in my own playing (in brass band) that the larger bore cornets are better suited to the music in that genre for some reason. That being said, for small ensemble or jazz cornet playing one of my favorite cornets is the Yamaha 2310, which is a medium large bore. It has a fast and easy response and a flexible tone quality that can readily be adapted with choice of mouthpiece. It's a fantastic cornet for the money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: