• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Searching for melodic players

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Searching for melodic players Reply with quote

So I fell in love with trumpet literally listening to the ending credits to the movie The Burbs.

I love when trumpet is melodic. I recently have been listening to Erik Truffaz and Rick Braun. I would love to ask what others consider to be a melodic player. I'll give an example of what I mean.

In guitar there are a lot of greats. I love George Benson, but don't consider him to be a melodic player. He can be when he wants. But chooses to include a lot of jazz phrasings and riffs that don't really classify as slow and melodic. Now, Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour are, in my opinion, very melodic.

I find Erik Truffaz to be slow and melodic (and innovative). I find Rick Braun to be slow and melodic. Who do YOU consider is a great melodic trumpet player? I ask because I am searching for new players for inspiration.

Thanks in advance

~Arty
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your experience watching the end credits of The Burbs reminded me of a similar experience. Listen to some of the playing by Uan Rasey during the credits to “Chinatown”. I doubt you’ll be disappointed
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nltrumpet wrote:
Your experience watching the end credits of The Burbs reminded me of a similar experience. Listen to some of the playing by Uan Rasey during the credits to “Chinatown”. I doubt you’ll be disappointed

I just listened to Chinatown. It is very, very nice. I also like the high usage of reverb on the trumpet. That sounds is very nice indeed.

~Arty
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same cinema experience listening to the soundtrack to Leaving Las Vegas.

"Melodic players?" Are there any more melodic players than Miles?
You know, there are different kinds of "melodic". I like Enrica Rava, Lester Bowie and Tomasz Stanko.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't trumpet, but I'll bet you'd like John Coltrane playing "Theme for Ernie".
john4860

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo Fresu: Trumpet/Flugelhorn and Ralph Towner: Classical Guitar
Album: Chiaroscuro
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for melodic players Reply with quote

ecafdrib wrote:
So I fell in love with trumpet literally listening to the ending credits to the movie The Burbs.

https://youtu.be/_aPEkSfhV_Y
Is this what you're referring to?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ecafdrib

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for melodic players Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
ecafdrib wrote:

https://youtu.be/_aPEkSfhV_Y
Is this what you're referring to?

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to. The part later in the song where the trumpet comes in. I just loved everything Jerry Goldsmith did. He was very deliberate and melodic. Heck, even in the Rambo movies, as Rambo is killing everyone with arrows and knives, I can still hear the beauty in the music. Very nice indeed.

~Arty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: