• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Choosing a Cornet Mouthpiece Based on Trumpet Mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Choosing a Cornet Mouthpiece Based on Trumpet Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I hate to start another “Which mouthpiece should I get for XXXX?” thread, but I’m looking for some guidance in buying a cornet mouthpiece. I’ve recently purchased a used ‘80s Holton C602 which did not come with a mouthpiece. I realize that I could’ve found a horn in a similar price point with one, but most of the ones I looked at were either in poor shape or the mouthpiece was disgusting (i.e. I would probably have replaced it anyway). So, I’m hoping to get some input as to how one knows what would work best for him or her based on my current (limited) experience with trumpet mouthpieces.

I currently own and use a Bach Megatone 3C, a Denis Wick 3C, and a Getzen 5C which I don’t use often but have played. The Bach is the most comfortable for me to play for longer periods. The Wick is very comfortable, but I wear out much quicker with it. The Getzen, after playing the Bach or the Wick, seems to give me an easier higher range (I’m sure just due to the smaller size but that goes away after a day or two of playing it exclusively), but my chops wear out even quicker than with the Wick.

So, my questions, based on my above experiences, are:
What would cause me to wear out quicker on the Wick? The Bach and Wick have similar throats. The Wick is a bit bigger rim (16.5 vs 16.3). Is that why? Is it the difference in the backbore style? Is it some imperceptible difference in bite? How do I know what is causing it?

In looking for a cornet mouthpiece, I figure that understanding what’s going on with my chops I would be able to choose good for me rim and throat sizes.

I am looking for a decent darker traditional cornet sound. I'm not going to be using it in a band or for any performances. Purely for my own edification. Regardless, I want something that will not sound too much like a trumpet. From what I’ve been able to find, I should look for a deeper mouthpiece, right? Should I stick to a similar rim size but with a larger throat and cup? Should I go for a similar rim and throat but deeper cup? Should Everything be a bit larger to help get the sound I'm looking for?

I’ve seen the Denis Wick 4B touted as the “standard” cornet mouthpiece, but I worry that the same things that I experience with my trumpet mouthpiece would be echoed with it. I’ve seen great reviews of it on here, but can anyone give me info about the similarities or differences between the Classic Trumpet and the Classic Cornet Wick pieces? I’ve also seen rave reviews for Curry mouthpieces. So, I’m thinking if not a Wick, perhaps a Curry VC would be good.

I do realize that mouthpieces are very personal as to what feels and works best, but I was hoping that figuring out how and why certain trumpet mouthpieces affect me, I would be able to choose the right cornet piece. Thanks in advance for any help!
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a Wick 4 or 4B could work well for you. You will get a good cornet tone and given you are not planning to use your cornet outside the practice room, why worry if it does not give you great endurance?
Wick 2BFL
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing a Cornet Mouthpiece Based on Trumpet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Craig S wrote:

I currently own and use a Bach Megatone 3C, a Denis Wick 3C, and a Getzen 5C which I don’t use often but have played. The Bach is the most comfortable for me to play for longer periods. The Wick is very comfortable, but I wear out much quicker with it. The Getzen, after playing the Bach or the Wick, seems to give me an easier higher range (I’m sure just due to the smaller size but that goes away after a day or two of playing it exclusively), but my chops wear out even quicker than with the Wick.

What would cause me to wear out quicker on the Wick?

I am not in keeping with many, but I bleievr Wich mouthpiece designs are possible the worst I have ever had the misfortune to play on. The rims are shapes squares with a bit of a file to cut the edge out, cups are similarly shapeless... but they are nice sinkers, if you fish!
Quote:
I am looking for a decent darker traditional cornet sound. I'm not going to be using it in a band or for any performances. Purely for my own edification. Regardless, I want something that will not sound too much like a trumpet. From what I’ve been able to find, I should look for a deeper mouthpiece, right? Should I stick to a similar rim size but with a larger throat and cup? Should I go for a similar rim and throat but deeper cup? Should Everything be a bit larger to help get the sound I'm looking for?

Your best bet would be to use 5e rim you find hot most comfortable, and get a much deeper cup. This may mean a two piece job... So, a 3C a 3A or straight 3 cup would be my first attempt.
Quote:

I do realize that mouthpieces are very personal as to what feels and works best, but I was hoping that figuring out how and why certain trumpet mouthpieces affect me, I would be able to choose the right cornet piece. Thanks in advance for any help!

I reckon you are overthinking this. Just get a deeper version of your 3C and see how it goes.

Cheers

Andy
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Wick mouthpiece fan either.. especially if you're using a Bach on your trumpet, I think the rime shape is drastically different. I like to play on similar if not the same rim, to limit the chops adjustment / confusion.

Curry rims are similar to Bach, so if you don't start with a deeper, cornet version , of your Bach, then Curry may be a more logical step.

The danger is (and what happened to me) that you'll really like the Curry mouthpiece and completely switch to all Curry's.
I don't know if I'd start with the TC cup, I find that a touch more harsh than I want, especially at volume. I'd suggest starting with a 3DC, deeper than a trumpet "3C", then, if and when you want to get more specific, try his TC or BBC...
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassmusician wrote:
I think a Wick 4 or 4B could work well for you. You will get a good cornet tone and given you are not planning to use your cornet outside the practice room, why worry if it does not give you great endurance?

Mostly, I worry about endurance because I have a limited amount of playing time. I work anywhere from 6-12 hrs a day. So, I might have only an hour or so to practice. If I use a mouthpiece that kills my chops, my playing time is lowered even more. Yes, I'm not getting ready for a public performance, but I'd like to be able to get through a 30 min lesson without sounding like a foghorn halfway through.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing a Cornet Mouthpiece Based on Trumpet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Your best bet would be to use 5e rim you find hot most comfortable, and get a much deeper cup. This may mean a two piece job... So, a 3C a 3A or straight 3 cup would be my first attempt.

I'll look at something in a similar rim size to my Bach, then.

Andy Del wrote:
I reckon you are overthinking this. Just get a deeper version of your 3C and see how it goes.

Cheers

Andy

Yeah, I tend to do that about most things.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
I'm not a Wick mouthpiece fan either.. especially if you're using a Bach on your trumpet, I think the rime shape is drastically different. I like to play on similar if not the same rim, to limit the chops adjustment / confusion.

And that totally makes sense. I do notice a short transition period even switching among the pieces I currently have.

Curry rims are similar to Bach, so if you don't start with a deeper, cornet version , of your Bach, then Curry may be a more logical step.

I've heard that Bach cornet pieces are a bit brighter than others. That's kind of why I was thinking a Curry might be good. Plus, I've seen more than a few posts on here praising the Curry rims.

The danger is (and what happened to me) that you'll really like the Curry mouthpiece and completely switch to all Curry's.
I don't know if I'd start with the TC cup, I find that a touch more harsh than I want, especially at volume. I'd suggest starting with a 3DC, deeper than a trumpet "3C", then, if and when you want to get more specific, try his TC or BBC...

Do you think the Curry rims are similar in size to Bach? From the specs, the Currys seem to be a bit bigger in the same number size (i.e. Curry is 16.9mm in a 3 whereas Bachs are 16.3). I didn't know if I should look at a 5 Curry rim (16.7) or if it's going to be moot as the differences are fractions of mm?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, going to a deeper mouthpiece cup will affect your endurance a bit. It's a tradeoff - getting a richer, more mellow tone by using a bigger mouthpiece comes at the expense of endurance (which more practice will improve). I've had and played numerous cornet mouthpieces over the years, including Wick 4B, 4, 3, Curry 3TC, 3DC, 3BBC, Stork 4A, 3SC, Bach 1-1/2C, 3, 3B, 3C, 6, 6BM, 7C, 10-1/2C, and various other brands that came with cornets I've acquired.

I play trumpet on a Curry 3C., which I love, but his 3TC and 3DC cornet mouthpieces didn't work well for me at all. The Curry 3BBC is pretty good for a brass band mouthpiece, but is a bit too mellow for general cornet playing. The Curry VC line gives you a vintage sound, but that comes with low endurance and a sound that doesn't project and gets lost in an ensemble. As for other, deeper Bach 3-size mouthpieces, some may recommend a Bach 3B. I used to have one of those, and while it produced a nice sound, the combination of different rim shape, conical cup, and open backbore sucked the life out of me in no time. On a whim. I bought a Bach 3 and have never looked back.

As for a recommendation, try the Bach 3 (no letter) mouthpiece. Its tone isn't as warm and fuzzy as a Wick 4, but it has a really nice, big cornet sound and is not too tiring to play. Plus, the rim size and shape will be familiar to you since you play on a Bach 3C. I bought one a number of months ago and love it. Of course, everyone is different and the Bach 3 may not work for you, but they are cheap enough to give one a try (especially if you find a used one for sale).
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing a Cornet Mouthpiece Based on Trumpet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Craig S wrote:
I hate to start another “Which mouthpiece should I get for XXXX?” thread, but I’m looking for some guidance in buying a cornet mouthpiece. I’ve recently purchased a used ‘80s Holton C602 which did not come with a mouthpiece. I realize that I could’ve found a horn in a similar price point with one, but most of the ones I looked at were either in poor shape or the mouthpiece was disgusting (i.e. I would probably have replaced it anyway). So, I’m hoping to get some input as to how one knows what would work best for him or her based on my current (limited) experience with trumpet mouthpieces.

What would cause me to wear out quicker on the Wick? The Bach and Wick have similar throats. The Wick is a bit bigger rim (16.5 vs 16.3). Is that why? Is it the difference in the backbore style? Is it some imperceptible difference in bite? How do I know what is causing it?

In looking for a cornet mouthpiece, I figure that understanding what’s going on with my chops I would be able to choose good for me rim and throat sizes.

I’ve seen the Denis Wick 4B touted as the “standard” cornet mouthpiece, but I worry that the same things that I experience with my trumpet mouthpiece would be echoed with it. I’ve seen great reviews of it on here, but can anyone give me info about the similarities or differences between the Classic Trumpet and the Classic Cornet Wick pieces? I’ve also seen rave reviews for Curry mouthpieces. So, I’m thinking if not a Wick, perhaps a Curry VC would be good.

I’ve read your post with great interest since I’ve been fighting with the same dilemma for years til I finally solved it. Not that long ago, early this spring.
As Zaferis points out, sharing his views, the rims should be quite similar; so what type of rim do you prefer? For me the Curry TC rim was too flat - I like rounded rims. I don’t think that depths are that crucial, backbore and cups seem more siginificant. Then you should take into consideration what are your main gigs? For me this was very crucial since I play lead in two big bands and solocornet in a brassband. So the trumpetpiece I found, at last, was a Stork; VM6 which means not extremely shallow at all but having sort of a V- cup.
This means that the embouchure does not have re-invent itself in the tranistions as the cornet mpc also, though much deeper, displays a V - cup.
I dislike the traditional Wicks, bird baths, but found a Wick Ultra (they might be difficult to get at). Stork has a series, Vacchiano, you can read their description, which might be of interest to you. I bought my Ultra before I found the Stork, otherwise I might have bought a Stork cornet piece too.
The Stork rims suit me - but you’ll have to test! And rounded as the Ultra Wick rim. Wick classics display rather odd rims, in my view.
Then, I my view, the attitudes playing trumpet and cornets differ a lot.Were I to play bigband leadstyle in the brassband, well better not speculate what they would have told me..... So forming the sounds differ, not easy to pinpoint, the cornet should be approached more gently, sound towards the more rounded, darker side....even delicate.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to Craig S regarding Curry rim sizes:

Though Curry's listed diameters are larger than Bach's for same numbered rims, they do feel the same in my experience. I've been a Bach 5 size player since I switched from a Bach 7 size in high school. In my experience, it's best to pay attention more to what a manufacturer says the rim sizes compare to over the stated measurements. Measurements vary depending on how far down the cup the measurement is made.

And just fot kicks, I've found these sizes to all be comparable: Bach 5, Curry 5, Stork Vacchiano 4, Stork Studio Master 6, GR 65, Schilke 13, Denis Wick 4

If and when I procure a cornet (probably a Besson Sovereign 928G), I plan on trying a Curry 5BBC and 5VC, Denis Wick 4B, and Stork 4A. I'm looking for a traditional cornet sound modeled after Gerard Schwarz.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read thru this entire thread of posts and feel impelled to post my thoughts....with absolutely NO wish to offend anyone, but an urge to get people really thinking about this very tricky subject and to examine their true purposes......So, in no particular order;

Firstly, you CAN'T really choose a cornet mpc in relation to a trumpet mpc because there is a very real risk that you will simply 'gain' another inferior trumpet that happens to be shaped like a cornet!........Some people will, of course, be quite satisfied with that and consider the excercise a success.

Cornet and trumpet are quite different instruments, maybe even 'opposing' instruments on that the approach to cornet musicianship is totally different to that of the trumpet and si as much about feel and attitude to lyricism as it is about style. This was firmly backed up by my time as a brass teacher wherein I discovered that young players naturally gravitate to the instrument that appeals to their inner player.....or even their 'soul' perhaps!

The way that real cornet players choose mpcs is from a technical need to encompass everything they are required to play in the music that is put in front of them....this is quite different according to which ensembles they are playing in and also which position they are aiming at........a front row cornet player in a top brass band has a quite different set of needs to a cornet player in a Guards band in London.

Personally, in 50+ years I have seen/heard VERY few trumpet players who aquitted themselves well on a cornet...although many top trumpeters started out from cornet playing, especially in brass bands. Bluntly, a cornet player can more easily learn the 'extrovert' issues of the trumpet player than the trumpet player can learn the tricky subtleties of cornet technique.

I have followed this site for 18 years or so now and time and time again one reads the posts about mpcs for cornets written by trumpet players wherein they search for "traditional dark" cornet sound which can only be granted by 'that' mpc discovery......but, what IS that sound?...do these posters have any real sound envelope in their heads?...where did they hear that sound?....Do/did "traditional" cornet players sound "dark"? The danger of this is the wrong choice of mpc for the wrong reasons by the wrong player!......This whole business gets even more complicated when the words "deep, conical & old-time" are added to the mix. The player looks at teh problem from the wrong end and chooses a big deep mpc which provides an uniteresting and 'muddy' which he/she then spends many hours trying to turn into something worthwhile....usually an impossible task.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Choosing a Cornet Mouthpiece Based on Trumpet Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
I’ve read your post with great interest since I’ve been fighting with the same dilemma for years til I finally solved it. Not that long ago, early this spring.
As Zaferis points out, sharing his views, the rims should be quite similar; so what type of rim do you prefer? For me the Curry TC rim was too flat - I like rounded rims. I don’t think that depths are that crucial, backbore and cups seem more siginificant. Then you should take into consideration what are your main gigs? For me this was very crucial since I play lead in two big bands and solocornet in a brassband. So the trumpetpiece I found, at last, was a Stork; VM6 which means not extremely shallow at all but having sort of a V- cup.
This means that the embouchure does not have re-invent itself in the tranistions as the cornet mpc also, though much deeper, displays a V - cup.
I dislike the traditional Wicks, bird baths, but found a Wick Ultra (they might be difficult to get at). Stork has a series, Vacchiano, you can read their description, which might be of interest to you. I bought my Ultra before I found the Stork, otherwise I might have bought a Stork cornet piece too.
The Stork rims suit me - but you’ll have to test! And rounded as the Ultra Wick rim. Wick classics display rather odd rims, in my view.
Then, I my view, the attitudes playing trumpet and cornets differ a lot.Were I to play bigband leadstyle in the brassband, well better not speculate what they would have told me..... So forming the sounds differ, not easy to pinpoint, the cornet should be approached more gently, sound towards the more rounded, darker side....even delicate.

Thank you. I, too, prefer more rounded rims and less bite.

I don't really have a certain gig to play. I'm just looking to try out a cornet and have it for my backup when my trumpet goes to get cleaned or, hopefully not, needs fixed for some reason. I would really like more a BBB sound, if I'm even able to play that sort of sound. We shall see. I'm not really into Dixieland and prefer the brightness of a trumpet for jazz. So, it's really more brass band type sound I'm shooting for.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O00Joe wrote:
In response to Craig S regarding Curry rim sizes:

Though Curry's listed diameters are larger than Bach's for same numbered rims, they do feel the same in my experience. I've been a Bach 5 size player since I switched from a Bach 7 size in high school. In my experience, it's best to pay attention more to what a manufacturer says the rim sizes compare to over the stated measurements. Measurements vary depending on how far down the cup the measurement is made.

And just fot kicks, I've found these sizes to all be comparable: Bach 5, Curry 5, Stork Vacchiano 4, Stork Studio Master 6, GR 65, Schilke 13, Denis Wick 4

If and when I procure a cornet (probably a Besson Sovereign 928G), I plan on trying a Curry 5BBC and 5VC, Denis Wick 4B, and Stork 4A. I'm looking for a traditional cornet sound modeled after Gerard Schwarz.

Thanks for he reply. I figured the diameter would be more of an indicator of feel than that. I wouldn't think that so many different rim sizes (based on measurement) would feel so similar. I'll have to pay more attention to the throats and backbores. I appreciate the info!
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bob.

First, thank you for your well thought out post. I don’t see where anyone would take too much offense to most of your thoughts.

Second, while there are many examples of constructive feedback, I see no real input as to how one should, in your view, choose a mouthpiece for a cornet. I agree that the trumpet and cornet are indeed different but similar instruments with their own idiosyncrasies. As I have very little to no experience with a cornet, I have asked for suggestions and advice. I thought that basing my info gathering on my trumpet mouthpieces would give other TH members as much info about me in order to tailor their suggestions and advice toward the experience that I have. Numerous threads on here are filled with someone asking a short, pointed question and other members attempting to help asking for further information in order to aid them. Being the most recent experience I have with any brass instrument, I have provided info on my trumpet pieces.

Third, your experience that cornet players can switch over to trumpet, but not vice versa, seems a bit elitist, to be honest. Are you suggesting that trumpet players simply shouldn’t try to cross over?

Fourth, when I say “dark” or “traditional” cornet sound, I am referring to a sound that is in my head from hearing recordings of cornets being used. It is most obviously not a bright, trumpet sound. Can I point to one player and say “I want to sound like that”? No. Even if there were a single cornetist that I would want to emulate, I would never sound like that person. I may, after many years, sound like a poor imitation, but never JUST like that player.

Lastly, while you do expand well on many of your criticisms, I see little to no information on how I should go about finding a mouthpiece. If I shouldn’t base it on my current trumpet mouthpieces, what should I base it on? I realize that the best case scenario would be to take the horn to a music shop and test a bunch of mouthpieces. Unfortunately, for me, that is not a possibility. There are no shops near to me that I would be able to test some out. The one music store in my town doesn’t even stock cornet mouthpieces.

Thank you, again, for your insightful post. I look forward to benefiting from your vast experience and using it to aid me in my search.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Most of the time, going to a deeper mouthpiece cup will affect your endurance a bit. It's a tradeoff - getting a richer, more mellow tone by using a bigger mouthpiece comes at the expense of endurance (which more practice will improve). I've had and played numerous cornet mouthpieces over the years, including Wick 4B, 4, 3, Curry 3TC, 3DC, 3BBC, Stork 4A, 3SC, Bach 1-1/2C, 3, 3B, 3C, 6, 6BM, 7C, 10-1/2C, and various other brands that came with cornets I've acquired.

I play trumpet on a Curry 3C., which I love, but his 3TC and 3DC cornet mouthpieces didn't work well for me at all. The Curry 3BBC is pretty good for a brass band mouthpiece, but is a bit too mellow for general cornet playing. The Curry VC line gives you a vintage sound, but that comes with low endurance and a sound that doesn't project and gets lost in an ensemble. As for other, deeper Bach 3-size mouthpieces, some may recommend a Bach 3B. I used to have one of those, and while it produced a nice sound, the combination of different rim shape, conical cup, and open backbore sucked the life out of me in no time. On a whim. I bought a Bach 3 and have never looked back.

As for a recommendation, try the Bach 3 (no letter) mouthpiece. Its tone isn't as warm and fuzzy as a Wick 4, but it has a really nice, big cornet sound and is not too tiring to play. Plus, the rim size and shape will be familiar to you since you play on a Bach 3C. I bought one a number of months ago and love it. Of course, everyone is different and the Bach 3 may not work for you, but they are cheap enough to give one a try (especially if you find a used one for sale).

Sorry, Dale. I didn't realize I hadn't replied to you, yet. Thank you. I will look at the Bach 3 in comparison to the others. That's basically what I did to get my 3C. My teacher suggested I try something larger than my 5C and I happened to find a used Megatone in the marketplace.
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,

I try find mouthpieces that makes it easy for me to sound the way I want to sound. I have found that regardless of the equipment I use, I will strive to create the sound I have in my head. The equipment choice will only make this harder or easier.

For selecting a cornet mouthpiece for myself, I like find something with a similar rim to what I use for your trumpet, but with a cup that has a little more volume.

I saw Dale's reply talking about how he uses a Bach 3 for cornet, vs. a 3C for trumpet. I have found similar success for me. For my Getzen Eterna, I normally use a Bach 2 (no letter). I have gobs of mouthpieces, and found both a Mt. Vernon 2C and a Mt. Vernon 2 in my collection. The 2 works great in my Getzen, and I am able to sound like the cornet sound I have in my mind. I have to fight the 2C to get the warmth and "velvet" sound I want. For my Conn 80A, I use a Monette B2S5, with the S5 having a bit more volume than the B2S3 I use for trumpet. (But I also don't use the 80A for what I consider "traditional" cornet work - it's another animal entirely.) I am not a huge fan of the deep V cups, as they don't lend themselves for me to easily make the cornet sound I have in my mind.

My best advise is not to make this a hard endeavor. Find something close, and start making music. Develop your cornet sound concept in your head and try to bring it to life on the horn.
Craig S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steevo wrote:
Craig,

I try find mouthpieces that makes it easy for me to sound the way I want to sound. I have found that regardless of the equipment I use, I will strive to create the sound I have in my head. The equipment choice will only make this harder or easier.

For selecting a cornet mouthpiece for myself, I like find something with a similar rim to what I use for your trumpet, but with a cup that has a little more volume.

I saw Dale's reply talking about how he uses a Bach 3 for cornet, vs. a 3C for trumpet. I have found similar success for me. For my Getzen Eterna, I normally use a Bach 2 (no letter). I have gobs of mouthpieces, and found both a Mt. Vernon 2C and a Mt. Vernon 2 in my collection. The 2 works great in my Getzen, and I am able to sound like the cornet sound I have in my mind. I have to fight the 2C to get the warmth and "velvet" sound I want. For my Conn 80A, I use a Monette B2S5, with the S5 having a bit more volume than the B2S3 I use for trumpet. (But I also don't use the 80A for what I consider "traditional" cornet work - it's another animal entirely.) I am not a huge fan of the deep V cups, as they don't lend themselves for me to easily make the cornet sound I have in my mind.

My best advise is not to make this a hard endeavor. Find something close, and start making music. Develop your cornet sound concept in your head and try to bring it to life on the horn.

Thanks. Yes, what Dale and you have said makes sense. If one rim contour works well for someone, why not stick with it. "If ain't broke, don't fix it" and whatnot. I probably am making this harder than it needs to be. I tend to overanalyze most things, as I noted above. Sure, I look at every aspect, but it can cause a lot of hesitation and second guessing.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start out with a Bach 3C. Less variables. Go deeper with the same rim if you’re not satisfied after a few months.
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
Start out with a Bach 3C. Less variables. Go deeper with the same rim if you’re not satisfied after a few months.

+1

Three sentences. Right answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: